Review: Rocktron Velocity 300 new version...

Soundworks said:
I run a 1 x 12 Lopo standard cabinet w/ Celestion G12H anniversary 30 watt, 16 ohm speaker and the amp in stereo so I get basically 35 watts into that cab.
How can you run the amp in stereo with a single speaker? Do you know a secret I'm not aware of? :?

t0aj15 said:
Soundworks said:
I run a 1 x 12 Lopo standard cabinet w/ Celestion G12H anniversary 30 watt, 16 ohm speaker and the amp in stereo so I get basically 35 watts into that cab.
How can you run the amp in stereo with a single speaker? Do you know a secret I'm not aware of? :?
I guess "stereo" means "not mono bridged" and he's probably using just one channel...

Sorry for delay on responding but never thought this thread would be alive at this point. I like running in stereo and using a dummy load on the side I am not using at the time. If I need to run a second speaker I do have the ability to control the volumes independently.
Although I think the Velocity is a good piece to use with the Axe-Fx, I have changed that setup a bit. I now go through the return of a Mesa Boogie Studio 22 w/EL84s which sounds very good and gives me a more open sound. A more natural guitar rig sound. This way I get the 1 x 12 and power amp in one piece at @ 32lbs. I took the speaker it came with out and replaced it with a Celestion G12H. I'm so happy with this setup, I'm done thinking about it. For now anyway. Stay tuned!

In case anyone's still reading:

I'm past the honeymoon with my new V300. I'm very happy with it, with this caveat: I do not go FRFR and I would not use this amp for that.

I go into a stereo 4x12 (currently a Mesa) tapping off my signal chain using a FXL block. After the FXL block there's a cab sim, so output 1 with cab sim goes to the board and output 2 without the cab sim goes to the V300 and my cab. The audience mostly hears my board feed, so the power amp is mostly just for me, but also for the rest of the band since "stage feel" is important to our non-verbal communication onstage. I was using a Carvin DCM150, which I loved for weight and convenience, and it was quite loud, but it didn't have the girth that I wanted. The V300, once you kick in the reactance controls, gives me a much richer and girthier sound. The definition control does add some "cut thru the mix" upper-mid presence, which can be dialed in to taste. I've been using it at rehearsals for awhile and used it at a pretty loud gig last weekend. My bass player (who, truth be known, sometimes has better ears for my sound than me) loved it. He said the whole feel onstage was thicker. I could feel the difference as well.

I also got numerous comments from musicians in the audience about my tone, which was really nice. One guy even wanted to plug in and "feel" it, and wrote down what the axe was. I suspect he'll be picking one up!

On the downside, the V300 is one heavly little SOB for a single-space amp! But for me, it gives me back the girth and breath I gave up when I stopped using a tube power amp. It's very close. And I like the "one rack space" thing.

In terms of power for unmiked gigs, I don't really do any. At a low volume gig we still put everything thru our mains and keep the stage volume super low. We just find it's easier to get a good mix that way (and we don't play coffee houses). But to me, an unmiked gig implies less volume. I can't imagine needing more than 50 watts (well, tube watts, anyway) to keep up with a drummer in a situation where I can't be miked, unless it's just a low budget situation where it still needs to be loud and huge but there's not enough PA. . Even with my DCM150 into a 4 ohm per side stereo 4x12 I could blow doors, it just wasn't girthy enough to my ear. With the V300 I'm in Marshall stack volume territory and I could pretty well drown out most drummers in an unmiked situation.

Hi everybody ... this is my first post ! ;)

I just bought the Velocity 300 ... can we "refresh" the typical kind of connections ?

MONO INPUT -> MONO OUTPUT
rear switch set to "Bridge"
Axe-Fx Left output -> Input Channel 1
one jack of Output Channel 1 -> one guitar cab (I can use one of these connectors ... but just ONE)

MONO INPUT -> DUAL MONO OUTPUT
rear switch set to "Bridge"
two jacks of Output Channel 1 -> two guitar cabs

STEREO INPUT -> STEREO OUTPUT
rear switch set to "Stereo"
Axe-Fx Right output -> Input Channel 2
one jack of Output Channel 1 -> one guitar cab (I can use one of these connectors ... but just ONE)
one jack of Output Channel 2 -> one guitar cab (I can use one of these connectors ... but just ONE)

STEREO INPUT -> DUAL STEREO OUTPUT
rear switch set to "Stereo"
Axe-Fx Right output -> Input Channel 2
two jacks of Output Channel 1 -> two guitar cabs
two jacks of Output Channel 2 -> two guitar cabs

Did I made some mistakes ?

In your opinion, can I leave the two Axe-Fx outputs plugged to the two Velocity 300 inputs and use just one out set the
power amp to bridged and switch to STEREO only when I needed ?

Thanks ! :D

Anyonne tried the Carvin DCM1540L and can compare it to the velocity 300?
I don't really care 1u vs 2u, the carvin have more power and is only 14lbs.
Do I really need the “Reactance” circuit if i don't go tube?

Bump for the sake of me throwing my hat in the ring. I've got one coming the end of next week to compare..

This thread keeps going.......I did try one for about a month......didn't like the noise (hum) and the popping on power up/down. Returned it to MF. It's OK but not anything that outshines my Randall SS RP 2/200.......which is much quieter and warmer......I don't get how Rocktron releases such a noisy piece of gear.....they need to get rid of those bugs and then they would have a solid product.

Hello, why would you "NOT" go FRFR with this amp? I was considering one with a passive 1-2 speaker setup eg. Electro-Voice ELX112; Id rather the variety and less expense than active fr speaker. I have nothing to compare right now. Is there a better power amp for frfr but still get some feel this seems to give?

I also have the Velocity 300 arriving tomorrow or Thursday and can't wait to put it to the test.

It will be powering 2 Atomic passives (1 regular, 1 wedge).

Hi Iceman,

I would like to have the same setup like yours (axe-fx--> rocktron 300--> two passive atomics). So my basic question is: are you happy with this setup/sound?

First Post, and I am a Axe FX noob still, I will say the amp I get the best tone and sorta best of both worlds tubey and SS, is an old tube works Mosvalve 500. esp live I run two 4x12's and each side can is capable of running 2 16ohm cabs.(according to the manual it's pretty forgiving at 4ohm and above) I run with the back end sims off live. (Im a session player so I run then on in studio) There usually all over e-bay though not at the moment. I have done comparions to Engl/pv/and Rocktron. Great forum, nice people! Greg

PS my fault, didn't see this thread was a yr old. My apologies!

Back
Top Bottom