Review of Blue Ella vs. the original Blue MoFi Headphones

MAYissues

Review of the Blue Ella vs. the original Blue MoFi Headphones

TLDR; If price is no object go ahead and buy the Ella. If you have the original MoFi’s and are happy with them there are a few upgraded features that might help make a decision to upgrade. If you are on a budget I cannot recommend due to minimal difference in sound quality.

Build:
Overall the Ella headphones are really good quality just like the MoFi’s. They are almost identical in build with the exception of less padding on the Ella’s, the charging light indicator on the side, the cable that is included, the amp switch knob, and the tightening mechanism on the top of the headphones.

One thing I like about the Ella compared to the MoFi’s are that the blue light indicator on the side of the headphone when charging is much larger and glows/pulses on the surface of the ring that attaches to the can. On the MoFi’s the charging light is really hard to see sometimes because it’s so small and unless you are in a dimly lit room you can’t tell whether it is charging or not. The light on the MoFi’s is also inside the ring and placed in a spot that is almost impossible to see. Much easier to tell if it is charging on the Ella’s.

A big upgrade is the cable. It doesn't seem like much, but holy crap was the cable with the MoFi’s a piece of garbage. I’ve had to have it replaced twice (which Blue was kind enough to do at no cost). The Ella’s have a braided cable and it’s much better constructed. I’m sure if anyone has had the MoFi’s for a long period of time you have had this problem as well. This is just my own opinion, but the Ella’s are almost worth the price just for the better cable.

One thing I didn't like about the Ella’s is the amp switch knob. This is honestly a minor gripe but it was much easier to tell if the amp was on with the MoFi’s. The piece of metal sticking out on the knob on the MoFi’s has been removed on the Ella’s. The Ella’s now have just a ring with a notch for an indicator on the ring. Sometimes I forget to turn off the amp and leave them on sitting on my desk. It’s easier to tell at a quick glance on the MoFi’s if I’ve left them on. Same goes for when charging.

Comfort:
The Ella’s are much lighter than the MoFi’s. It took some time to break in the Ella’s and they were not that comfortable at first due to the different padding material that was used compared to the MoFi’s. There’s also less padding on the Ella’s compared to the MoFi’s due to the lighter weight. As far as what one is more comfortable it will come down to personal preference. I didn't mind the weight of the MoFi’s and they sit a little better on my head because they are heavier but once I broke in the Ella’s I’ve been able to go longer sessions without taking them off compared to the MoFi’s.

Sound:
This one is probably the biggest reason to purchase or not purchase and I honestly can’t give a definitive answer on which one “sounds better” and I’ll try to explain.

One big difference between the Ella’s and MoFi’s is the dB boost when you turn on the amplifier. The Ella’s have a slight dB boost where the MoFi’s have a significant boost when turned on. I’m not sure what the exact amount of boost is between the two but on the MoFi’s it can be almost deafening if you don't have the volume control turned down at the source before turning on the amp. Having the lower dB boost on the Ella’s was a huge plus for me as I’ve had several times when my daughter messes with the volume knob on the Axe Fx and I turned on the MoFi’s and almost thrown them across the room from the mind numbing agony of a surprise stealth fiddling. The lower dB switch is a plus for me.

As far as which one “sounds better” it’s really hard to say. Because of the difference in dB boost between the two, trying to A/B was really difficult. I’d have to play for a while then switch and adjust for the volume difference, switch back and then adjust again. For what it’s worth if you have the MoFi’s and you are happy with them I really couldn’t tell that much of a difference in sound to say that the Ella’s are worth the purchase on the sound alone. I really didn't feel there was a significant increase in sound quality. There does seem to be a little bit wider of a sound on the Ella’s and possibly a flatter EQ but it was really hard to tell. The dB boost on the MoFi’s brought in Fletcher Munson. He was making it difficult to choose and I didn't like the tone he was taking with me that sly gentleman.

I also had a friend who is a musician and orchestra director try and tell the difference between the two and they could not tell any major difference as well.

Conclusion:
For $699 I have a hard time recommending the Ella’s for anyone on a budget and seeking a significant sound upgrade. If you have the MoFi’s and the means to purchase the Ella’s there are some changes that I’ve tried to point out that would help you make a decision. There is enough overall on the Ella’s that I plan on continuing to use them and have the MoFi’s as a backup set of headphones.

Ella vs MoFi

Pro’s
-Cable
-Charging light
-Weight for long term use
-db Boost on Amp

Con’s
-Price
-amp switch design

Nice review.

I have the MoFi's. I wasn't really considering upgrading, but if you had come out with a 'night and day' review, I would have least considered it. You're spot on with the hard to spot charging light...it's annoying. Also with the cable. I've had to replace 1 since the toggle control plate just decided to fall off. Does the new cable work with the MoFi? May have to invest if it does.

Edit:
Sounds like I'm whining, but I do love the MoFi. I don't mind the weight, and they've been comfortable enough for 3-4 hour flights. Oh, and they sound awesome.

I really like the MoFi's as well. I've had a bit more time with the Ella's and honestly if you are happy with the MoFi's I wouldn't upgrade. I've been switching back and forth over the last week and I really can't tell any sound difference. The cable for the Ella will work with the MoFi's. The Ella's tend to slip off my head a lot where the MoFi's rarely did because of the weight. I also didn't mind the weight of the MoFi's. Hope this helps and have a good one!

One thing I didn't like about the Ella’s is the amp switch knob. This is honestly a minor gripe but it was much easier to tell if the amp was on with the MoFi’s. The piece of metal sticking out on the knob on the MoFi’s has been removed on the Ella’s. The Ella’s now have just a ring with a notch for an indicator on the ring. Sometimes I forget to turn off the amp and leave them on sitting on my desk. It’s easier to tell at a quick glance on the MoFi’s if I’ve left them on. Same goes for when charging.
They auto-power down so leaving the amp on shouldn't be too big a deal, right?

I'm surprised the planar design of the Ella didn't kill the MoFI's dynamic setup when it came to sound. Says a lot about the marketing hype behind planar headphones I suppose. Lot of snake oil in the headphone and speaker industry.

I'm surprised the planar design of the Ella didn't kill the MoFI's dynamic setup when it came to sound. Says a lot about the marketing hype behind planar headphones I suppose. Lot of snake oil in the headphone and speaker industry.
Speaking of hype, you have to wonder what market segment they're going after when they talk about their "audiophile-quality" built-in amplifier but neglect to give any specs. I still use my Mo-Fi's almost daily because they're good, but I cringe at references to audiophile anything—or race car-inspired design, for that matter.

I found the auto power down pretty unreliable. I'd play for a few hours on a Friday night on a full charge and then leave them on my desk only for them to be dead on Sat morning. So I've gotten in the habit of always plugging them back in or turning them off when I'm done using them.

At the end of the day I honestly can't tell much of a difference. I've only been using the Ella's for about 3 weeks and if I have a eureka moment I'll be sure to post about it.

Having the lower dB boost on the Ella’s was a huge plus for me as I’ve had several times when my daughter messes with the volume knob on the Axe Fx and I turned on the MoFi’s and almost thrown them across the room from the mind numbing agony of a surprise stealth fiddling.

Funny I was searching the web for a review between the MixFi and the MoFi and came across this. When I saw Axe Fx mentioned I was like hey, this guy has one too, nice. So I kept on reading, and no sooner did I realize I was on the FAS Forum! Duh… Anyway MAYissues, thanks much for the review, very informative, and I see you're in Chi town too! Small world.

you have to wonder what market segment they're going after when they talk about their "audiophile-quality" built-in amplifier but neglect to give any specs.

Rex, good to see ya, I see you've talked cans b4 ;- ). They still don't have any specs on their site. Good thing I had you guys for your experience with the Blue's. :)

Nice review.

I have the MoFi's. I wasn't really considering upgrading, but if you had come out with a 'night and day' review, I would have least considered it.

electronpirate, good to see you too, been a while :)

Oh yeah…
Bump

Back
Top Bottom