Review: Matrix Amplification GT1500FXBD

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
Matrix GT1500 FXBD Power Amp Review

Matrix Amplification sent me the 3-channel GT-1500 FXBD to review. Disclosure: The amp was provided to me for the review. I did not buy this power amp and was returned to Matrix after the review period. Matrix did not paid or offer to pay me in any way, no favors offered, no discounted gear was offered (or taken) for my opinion. They allowed me an extended period to work with it and full editorial control for the review. Other than answering technical questions, Matrix has no approval nor input into my review.

I fully welcome any comments, questions and discussion of the power amp. I hope Matrix will post to the thread to handle any questions or comments they are better suited to answer than I am. *(Note: I will be releasing a series of videos that will be companions to these reviews but did not want to hold up the reviews for the videos. I will edit this original post with that video once they are edited and uploaded).

What

2013-01-18-142613xx_zps2f879c18.jpg

This is a three channel one rack space power amp from Matrix, which designs and builds their products in the UK. The 500 X 500 X 500 watt (at 4 ohm) allows for running a W/D/W setup. I’ll detail that aspect later in the review, though I don’t have the required three passive speakers available to run a W/D/W rig.

Matrix has a full line of guitarist/musician oriented rack mounted power amp line up. They can be used with conventional speaker cabs in a guitar rig or with FRFR passive speaker cabs. The line includes other single space power amps (GT800FX offers ‘flat response’ at 400 X 400 watts in stereo (4 ohms); GT1000FX 1U offers a flat response but more ‘tube’ character 500 X 500 watts in stereo (4 ohms) and the two-space GT1000FX 2U (same specs as the GT1000FX 1U but with a lower noise floor for studio work). The GT1000FX models are also bridgeable for outputs of 1000 watts at 8 ohms.

One of the cool features of the Matrix series of amps is the ability to mismatch stereo sides - you can run different impedance loads on either side with no issue. That allows maximum versatility in running rigs with a variety of speaker cabs. There’s no issue running that way and the amps are designed to handle it.

Why would you want a three channel power amp? Answer: WDW. Guys running that setup normally have their ‘dry’ (no efx) amp tone into a speaker cab centered between two other speaker cabs (normally stereo L/R) with fully wet effects. Normally, you’d need a mono power amp for the center ‘dry’ signal and a separate stereo power amp for the ‘wet’ portion of the rig. Many of the higher end pro’s run that sort of system for maximum flexibility and versatility. To have a single rack space three channel power amp just over 8lbs is exceptionally attractive. That’s a lot of power amp in a very efficient and portable package.

Features:

2013-01-18142625_zps2444b7a1.jpg

• This is a three channel single space power amp, specifically created for the guitarist
  • Lightweight at just over 8lbs.
  • Simple operation and controls - three separate volume knobs, input LED (shows input signal) Protect LED (shows if a fault has occured) and output LED showing output levels.
  • Simple straightforward ins/outs - three combination XLR and ¼” inputs; three combination Neutrik Speakons and ¼” outputs (*Matrix recommends Neutrik over ¼”)
    2013-01-18142739_zpsb3858278.jpg
  • Cooling fan input and output.
  • Output power (in watts) is 500 X 500 X 500 at 4 ohms; 300 X 300 X 300 at 8 ohms; and 150 X 150 X 150 at 16 ohms.

Function:
This wasn’t difficult to setup; I don’t have the speaker cabs needed to pull off a W/D/W setup so I proceeded to use the Matrix to power Tannoy VX12 and VX12HD passive wedges (*also here for review)

I have the two passive Tannoy speaker cabs (also here for review)- they are passive monitor wedges and both are accurate full range 12” speaker cabs. For my testing purposes with the Matrix1500 I used it in a mono rig (using one of the channels) and a stereo rig (using two channels). (*It is safe and fine to run the power amp with nothing feeding the channels; unlike a tube power amp).

Setup was straightforward. The Tannoy speakers use Speakons and I ran both speakers in mono (they are 8 ohm passive coaxial designs that can handle 400 watts) and then together in stereo. Before I play tested them, I ran full range music (all sorts of different genre’s of music) through the setup. Then I play tested using a Fractal Audio Axe-FX II into the Matrix, also out to the Tannoy’s.

When you turn on the Matrix, you get fan noise. It’s a power amp for live performance; this model is not going to be a studio staple if it is in the room with the mic’s open. Measured up close with my Galaxy Audio db meter, it is about +54 db (c-weighted, slow response). If you push the amp wide open for about 10 minutes, it’ll spin the fan up to the secondary speed and gets it up to about 64db. The noise floor in my office is about 30-40db when it’s quiet with the computers all running. So the noise from the GT1500 isn’t excessive in a live environment; it must be mentioned if you intend to really push it. It’s a constant speed; it’s either at slow or fast; it doesn’t vary.

The Matrix has a very clean power output. Plenty of power on tap to push the Tannoy’s (they are fairly efficient: System Sensitivity (1 W @ 1 m) (2) 97 dB (1 W = 2.83 V for 8 ohms).. The Matrix had a lot of punch with these speakers; and got plenty loud. Even cranked fully, the power amp didn’t seem to get into distortion. Pushed into live performance levels of +120db, they responded very well. The power amp never seemed overwhelmed.

With full range music it was clean, fast and handled transients as you’d expect. Music that punched fast and hard, punched fast and hard. The power amp is flat; had no tonal character that I could detect at all - it was clean power, no distortion even when pushed very hard for extended periods. Just clean punchy power. I expected it, it delivered.

Plugging the Axe-FX II in resulted in a very pleasing punchy loud signal. I ran into no input overloads and the same findings from the full range music held up - lots of punch, body, air. The Tannoy’s are very crystalline in timbre, their character reminds me of Genelec studio monitors. The Matrix seemed more than up to the task.

I took this setup running one channel on the Matrix into the Tannoy VX12HD to one gig and the results were great. In a live setting (typical 200-300 person bar/pub setup) the results were more than pleasing. The rig performed as expected, no downtime and through setup, sound check and then 4 full sets the Matrix was plugged in and turned from about 7:30pm to 2am and never hiccuped. I had my normal RCF NX 12-SMA in the car *just in case*, but never felt the need to get it and was more than happy with how the rig ran that night.

Conclusion:

It sucks that I don’t have three cabs to try the W/D/W setup with this power amp, but I did have a chance to hear it in that sort of role at the LA Amp & Guitar Show in October 2012. It was very cool. That’s a fairly cumbersome logistic setup to roll with at say.... a club gig; but this power amp is cool in that if you only want to run one channel, you can. It’s one space; it’s just over 8lbs. It is transparent. It pushed the Tannoy wedges well over +120db. I experienced no thermal shut-downs even when I pushed the power amp hard for hours. That comes with the caveat that fan noise is there and impossible to ignore if you are expecting to use it in the studio or a home studio/bedroom rig setup and need to play quietly.

I got a chance to meet both Andy and Matt in person and talk to them at some length both at the LA Amp Show and later in various phone calls with Matt both setting up this review period and during it with my questions. They are very responsive and have earned a good reputation with their products and customer service. They come across as very genuine and concerned about their products and customers. It’s one reason I love small companies doing high end products tailored for musician’s needs. They’ve essentially expanded their line in the past year to include not only a full range of power amps but passive and powered speakers. They also offer a power amp module that I know at least one other manufacturer (XiTone) is using.

I enjoyed the chance to get to use the GT1500 and it delivered the goods. I have no hesitation recommending this power amp (or any of their products) for your serious consideration if you are in market looking for what they offer.

Pros:

• Three independent channels
  • One 19” rack space
  • Powerful
  • Flexible
  • Transparent timbre
  • Lightweight
  • Two year Warrenty
  • Matrix is a small direct-to-consumer company and their customer service is well known

Cons:

• Fan noise; ‘high’ mode is especially loud.
  • If service is ever needed, Matrix is in the UK

Hi there,
If you have any questions about the GT1500FXBD, or the rest of our range, feel free to either ask on here, or send me an email to matt@matrixamplification.com

If you would like to see and hear the various amps and CFR12 / Q12a cabs running with the Fractal Audio Axe Fx II, and you are attending the Namm show next week please come and visit us at booth #5399

Andy Hunt and I look forward to answering any questions and / or meeting you.

My best regards
Matt

Great to hear such a review of their products from someone with so much experience with the Axe and FRFR type setups, etc. It would have been awesome if they had also sent a few of their passive cabs so you could test it not only in a WDW setting, but also just to be able to test a full Matrix setup - I think one of the great ways to go when you're considering an FRFR setup is to just go with a full Matrix setup so it's all optimized to work with each other. That's what I ended up doing, after I finally stopped gigging with a Matrix GT800 into a traditional guitar cab. - However, I know just shipping one of the Matrix cabs on top of the amp wouldn't have been cheap. It may have been worth it considering how much weight your opinion would have carried, though - but still. It would have been interesting to hear how you liked a full Matrix rig in comparison to the RCF setup. I'm sure your opinions of the RCF has sold a lot of those units.

Maybe they will send you one of the new Q12a's to evaluate, now that those are out. It was MORE than generous of them to loan the GT1500, though, which isn't surprising given Matrix's reputation and the service they've given me personally. I've been using the Q12a since it came out and if I understand correctly, the GM50 module that it uses is just a single channel version of the the GT1000FX and GT1500FXBD, which also sounds phenomenal as well as the old GT800FX which is still a great choice and plenty loud even in mono. Thanks for the review and can't wait to see the vids.

Recently started looking into WDW concepts and saw the 1500. It looks like a great unit, kind of an all-in-one Swiss Army knife power amp solution seeing as you could run mono, stereo or get "fancy" with WDW.

My only real concern is the one Scott brings up as a con, which is lack of support in the US. If the unit requires service it would be quite costly and time consuming. Is there any chance Matrix will start authorizing service centers in the States?

And Scott, how much heat was generated by the unit into the rack? I use an 8 space rack with open spacing (ventilated spaces in front) around my components (no two items that generate heat touch) with a completely open back, but am always concerned nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom