Review from a long time user.

Hey everyone. I'm not much of a poster but I've been here since 2012. My first unit was an AxeII. I was just getting into extended range metal at the time, and I knew I had to make the jump. The unit was way over my head, but I eventually dove in and after a few years, got a decent understanding of it. I learned a lot, from scratch, knew nothing about frequencies, or IR's, why this shit mattered, any of it, it was truly the start to the tone rabbit hole that we are all currently a victim of. The AxeII was just everything for me pretty much, my interface, my guitar amp, my bass amp, I've used it in a numerous amount of situations, only issue I ever had with the unit is my USB port got fried from a lightning strike once, sent it in, got fixed, no other issues.

All that being said I eventually saw Ola reviewing the FM3 one day and was pleasantly surprised since, I knew the AxeIII was out and that it would be the focus of the company for a while, and I hadn't been paying attention to any upcoming releases from Fractal. Really liked the design change from the AX8, and it's focus on what was seemingly an "all-in-one" with simplicity on the mind in design. I didn't need to be sold on the sound quality cause I already knew what I was getting, but I was excited to know I had the opportunity to have (pretty much) an AxeIII at a much cheaper price, and a much lighter/lower profile, and not to mention I always needed a foot controller, but literally was always overwhelmed @ the MFC-101 (I literally only need 3 'Rhythm,Clean,Lead'). It ticked all the boxes for me.

So when I first got the unit I had to deal with being a n00b since my monitors are 1/4inch input only. Read about the "Copy Out 1" for Out2 and was good to go. I was extremely happy upon the first strum. Immediately loved it. Dove into the Cab IR's just to see the insane amount of choices I now had compared to the II. I was very very happy. I eventually tried to use the FM3 as an interface, and this is where I got a bit sad. I went through a litany of threads talking about the latency issues, etc. Got bummed a bit for a week or 2, and then with the latest FM3 firmware, and the added USB Buffer setting, I can finally say that the latency issues have seemingly been resolved, and my FM3 is now able to do absolutely everything my II could (within my uses), sans Tone Matching, which I admittedly only used a few times with my II.

Last but not least, at my last practice, it finally passed the drummer test as well! He likes it! He really likes it! I can finally say that I am fully happy with my FM3, it is in my opinion the best modeler out there, even better than the III because of it's all in 1 package, portability, and versatility.

Back
Top Bottom