Review: Dynacord Axm-12a used as modeller-monitor

Just thought i'd add something to this thread. I bought a second hand Axm-12a when I bought my AxeFx3. The Fractal sounds, of course, amazing in the studio but I could never get a great sound out of the Dynacord, so much so, i could never use it for live gigs. Thought i'd check out some forums about it and found all these great comments and reviews, which led me to this thread. Because it was second hand, I think the previous user had played with the dsp and i tried several different settings - some getting near, some not. But, thanks to the comments on this thread, i set it to a flat monitor setting....and wow. The difference really is night and day. Happy bunny! Hopefully this will help someone else with a similar issue.

AX8 owner here, just traded the DXR10 after almost 2 years for the Dynacord based partly on this review and wish I’d done it much sooner. So far I’ve onlyl tried it at home, looking forward to use it during rehearsals and gigs. Biggest advantage so far I’d say is the more defined low-end.

See also Electrovoice's PXM-12MP. No experience or anything, but it looks like the same monitor. Even says "Powered by Dynacord" on it.

Don't know the latest Dynacord materials. We used a lot of Dynacord in the eighties and they were by the time the most roadworthy equipment one could find and at a honest price. Most communal venues, city events and churches etc were equiped with Dynacord PA also. Then somehow they kind of disappeared. If I knew Dynacord were still in the game I surely would have tried before buying a CLR.
What I like about the CLR is the enormous wide spread this speaker has which makes it almost 3-dimensionnal with one single speaker. How does the Dynacord sound on that aspect ?

The Dynacord sounds a little bit more „narrow“, but not much. I prefer the CLR but wouldn’t hesitate to use the Dynacord if I had to (I still have both).

Dynacord is a solid company and their products have a very good reputation + German quality you know ;).
I wouldn't hesitate to buy the AXM 12A since, it's very close to the CLR (I compared both) and it's more readily available.
I wanted to try the EV PXM-12MP as well. It has a bit more power than the Dynacord but the frequency plot is not as good although that may be due to the smoothing they use.

Yes I did. It's been a while ago but I remembered them sounding very similar.
I also used pink noise to compare them.
Both sounded great.
Although I love the CLR and Tom is a very nice person, I think I would go for the Dynacord now because it's more readily available.

Yes I did. It's been a while ago but I remembered them sounding very similar.
I also used pink noise to compare them.
Both sounded great.
Although I love the CLR and Tom is a very nice person, I think I would go for the Dynacord now because it's more readily available.
Good to know. Thanks. Though the need for a transformer is a deal killer for me.

Strange, it says 100-240V AC, 50-60 Hz in the datasheet

Attachments

• axm_12a_datasheet.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 3
Seems that way. Strange that an European company would sell a 110V compatible unit in Europe but not in the States.

Back
Top Bottom