Review: Dynacord Axm-12a used as modeller-monitor

Hi guys - I just wanted to share my experience of my newly aquired Dynacord Axm-12a monitor.

Preambel: I've been using modellers for the last 4.5 years, exclusively, for my live cover band. For the past 2.5 years, it's been the Ax8, and I don't see that changing - until the next generation comes out. ;) I also use a Roland GR-55 guitar synth, which is sent to the monitor as well.

I've been using a Yamaha DXR10 for the entire time I've been using monitors, and I've been very pleased with the size, weight, portability, reliability and loudness. The sound however, has been a sort of frustration for me. While it sounds pretty good, I've been having this feeling that it doesn't do the Ax8 justice. It has a tendency to amplify some of the "wrong" frequencies of the guitar sound - it gets more pronounced the louder it gets. It has some grating frequencies (to my ears) that don't come through through the mains. I've tried all the DSP settings on it, and while "monitor" works best to me, it still lacks punch, fullnes and guitar feel. While the DXR has lots of low end, it is sort of "wooly" sounding and not very defined, and it is very directional when laying down as a monitor.

A buddy of mine, who is a sound engineer, explained to me that the reason for it lacking "punch" is probably some phasing issues, due to the speaker/tweeter arrangement, which has a tendency to become more pronounced the closer you are to the speaker - as in using it as monitor.

Intrigued, I decided to seek out some coax options. I tried a Line 6 PowerCab - which I think definitely parts the waters, regarding sound. Lets just say that I, and my modelling-geek-buddy, Sustainerplayer, thought it sounded like it was broken. ;)

Enter the Dynacord Axm-12a:

10557533_800.jpg

Most guys around here praise the CLR, and probably rightfully so; it's a (presumably) great sound coax design monitor, quite loud and pretty portable. I am definitely willing to spend the dough on a great speaker, however; living in Scandinavia (Denmark) it is not readily available, and would be very expensive to return, should it not live up to the hype. Therefore I sought out other options.

I came across the Dynacord Axm-12a. While it may not be a familiar brand in the US, in Europe it's very well known, and regarded as high quality german engineering. We use one of their mixers in the band, and they're know for being built like tanks, so I have utmost faith in this as well.

I ordered one and I used a couple of days off from work to evaluate it against the DXR. Again, Sustainerplayer was invited, and while the difference wasn't night and day, like the DXR against a Behringer, the Dynacord was immensely better at projecting in a larger angle, much better spread and it had a certain something to it - the bottom end was much more defined as well. However, we only tried it out at loud, but not gigging loud, levels in my man cave, so the real test was on my next gig. I decided to go all in, and only bring this (not the DXR) to our gig last night in large Copenhagen music venue (a crowd of about 800 people) to take it to the test.

The stage was very loud, due to some surprising funky acoustics at a live music venue (our first time playing there). We measured the stage sound to about 118-120 dB! The Dynacord held up beautifully, not once running out of juice, punch, fullnes and just kept on feeding me glorious, glorious sound for two 1 hour sets. It is by far the best experience I've had running a modeller live, and I am VERY impressed by this little 30 pound beast. I could hear myself clearly in a large 4 meter perimeter on the stage, and I felt more like playing a guitar amp than I've ever did in the last 4.5 years using modellers.

It is definitely a keeper. It is loud (128 dB SPL), clear, punchy, full, and very versatile due to it's routing options. It is pretty lightweight (30 pounds), and the compact footprint sits nicely on the stage next to my pedalboard (Ax8 and GR-55).
As written above, I haven't tried the CLR for myself. However, others have, and from what I've read, the difference is negligible - the CLR has the tiniest edge in sound, while the Dynacord is more compact.

I urge anyone using a modeller with a monitor, that has the opportunity to try out one in person, to give the Axm-12a a go - I am VERY impressed with it, and it really feels like a major upgrade from the DXR once it gets to stage sound levels.

I'm using it for the last 3 years (after owning a K10, RCF NX-12SMA and a CLR) and I share your impressions!
And it's the most reliable of the 4!

Reactions: Ole
I'm using it for the last 3 years (after owning a K10, RCF NX-12SMA and a CLR) and I share your impressions!
And it's the most reliable of the 4!

You've owned a CLR as well? Interesting! What are your thoughts about the Dynacord vs the CLR? The CLR has become sort of mythical to me, since they are so hard to try out in Europe.

I tried a Line 6 PowerCab - which I think definitely parts the waters, regarding sound. Lets just say that I, and my modelling-geek-buddy, Sustainerplayer, thought it sounded like it was broken.

Thanks for the review! The Dynacord looks very interesting. Regarding the PowerCab...did you try the individual speaker model voices or only with IR's from the AX8? It seems like a good design but I can't find much in the way of demos of the speaker modeling itself.

Nice review! I have a couple questions. Do you run Left and right out of AX8 to inputs of Axm?
And out of axm to FOH? Or mono from ax8 to AXM and mono from AX8 to FOH?
I use the Laney IRT-X which has 1 input and I use EXT spkr out to 4x10 marshall cab then the DI-out of Laney to FOH.
Sounds incredible but have to lug 4x10 cab. not heavy just bulky.
The Laney itself is an 8" speaker , although 200wt just didnt cut it. Hence the 4x10 Cab. So if the AXM is 12" and the
power and sound is that good may be worth a try.

Thanks for the review! The Dynacord looks very interesting. Regarding the PowerCab...did you try the individual speaker model voices or only with IR's from the AX8? It seems like a good design but I can't find much in the way of demos of the speaker modeling itself.

Yup. I tried every speaker model and all the "flat" modes. The speaker models sounded downright horrible to me - and the Flat mode sounded like a really cheap FRFR. Not recommended at all. I tried resetting it too, as I thought there was something wrong with it.

Nice review! I have a couple questions. Do you run Left and right out of AX8 to inputs of Axm?
And out of axm to FOH? Or mono from ax8 to AXM and mono from AX8 to FOH?
I use the Laney IRT-X which has 1 input and I use EXT spkr out to 4x10 marshall cab then the DI-out of Laney to FOH.
Sounds incredible but have to lug 4x10 cab. not heavy just bulky.
The Laney itself is an 8" speaker , although 200wt just didnt cut it. Hence the 4x10 Cab. So if the AXM is 12" and the
power and sound is that good may be worth a try.

I simply use a mono XLR out of the Ax8, into the Dynacord - from there I use the "thru" out from the Dynacord to the FOH. Less cabling, less mess.

While the Dynacord is not a 4x12, I used to play an open 2x12 in my tube amp gigging days, and I don't find the Dynacord lacking at all, in depth or punch - if anything it has more bottom end than the open 2x12. It is very well designed, do try it out.

these seem to not be available in the US? what's the price range for this?

for close-range monitoring, i really prefer coax designs. i feel like i can hear the "split point" between the woofer and tweeter on normal speakers.

these seem to not be available in the US? what's the price range for this?

for close-range monitoring, i really prefer coax designs. i feel like i can hear the "split point" between the woofer and tweeter on normal speakers.

Not sure about US or other countries but here in Japan the Dynacord AXM 12 sells for 112,800 Yen. With the conversion rate that equals $1054 US dollars.

You've owned a CLR as well? Interesting! What are your thoughts about the Dynacord vs the CLR? The CLR has become sort of mythical to me, since they are so hard to try out in Europe.

The CLR may be a tiny bit clearer, but the Dynacord holds up to it pretty well. I'd put it between the RCF NX-12SMA and the CLR soundwise. All three are perfectly suitable.
And the Dynacord is lighter, smaller and has more options than the other two. And of course it's available in Europe...

Sounds like a nice piece of gear, though looks like they're not really a thing in the US.

What are the options for similar coax monitors state side? I'm currently debating if I should go for a standard 2 way configuration like a QSC K10.2 / Yamaha DXR10, or if I should shell out more for a fancier coax solution.

Hi,

What settings do you run the Dynacord on? I would guess F1 - flat monitor mode would be best? Have you ever used the notch filter feature to filter out feedback?

Cheers and thanks

Is it correct that you can turn off the tweater in the AXM? Is this more suitable for guitar or do you prefer the flat mode?

A friend of mine had a Dynacord.
I compared it to my CLR.
If I had to replace my CLR's, the Dynacord would certainly be my first choice.

I've mainly used my CLR's for guitar and a couple of times for playing GP material.
I only tried the Dynacords with guitar.
I did compare them using pink noise and they sounded very close.

Reactions: Rex
These speakers look fantastic! great for a pa, great for a guitar modeller, great for a keyboard player. Well, I wish there was a reputable dealer here in the states. I think they’d sell the hell out of them. :)

Hi guys - I just wanted to share my experience of my newly aquired Dynacord Axm-12a monitor.

Preambel: I've been using modellers for the last 4.5 years, exclusively, for my live cover band. For the past 2.5 years, it's been the Ax8, and I don't see that changing - until the next generation comes out. ;) I also use a Roland GR-55 guitar synth, which is sent to the monitor as well.

I've been using a Yamaha DXR10 for the entire time I've been using monitors, and I've been very pleased with the size, weight, portability, reliability and loudness. The sound however, has been a sort of frustration for me. While it sounds pretty good, I've been having this feeling that it doesn't do the Ax8 justice. It has a tendency to amplify some of the "wrong" frequencies of the guitar sound - it gets more pronounced the louder it gets. It has some grating frequencies (to my ears) that don't come through through the mains. I've tried all the DSP settings on it, and while "monitor" works best to me, it still lacks punch, fullnes and guitar feel. While the DXR has lots of low end, it is sort of "wooly" sounding and not very defined, and it is very directional when laying down as a monitor.

A buddy of mine, who is a sound engineer, explained to me that the reason for it lacking "punch" is probably some phasing issues, due to the speaker/tweeter arrangement, which has a tendency to become more pronounced the closer you are to the speaker - as in using it as monitor.

Intrigued, I decided to seek out some coax options. I tried a Line 6 PowerCab - which I think definitely parts the waters, regarding sound. Lets just say that I, and my modelling-geek-buddy, Sustainerplayer, thought it sounded like it was broken. ;)

Enter the Dynacord Axm-12a:

10557533_800.jpg

Most guys around here praise the CLR, and probably rightfully so; it's a (presumably) great sound coax design monitor, quite loud and pretty portable. I am definitely willing to spend the dough on a great speaker, however; living in Scandinavia (Denmark) it is not readily available, and would be very expensive to return, should it not live up to the hype. Therefore I sought out other options.

I came across the Dynacord Axm-12a. While it may not be a familiar brand in the US, in Europe it's very well known, and regarded as high quality german engineering. We use one of their mixers in the band, and they're know for being built like tanks, so I have utmost faith in this as well.

I ordered one and I used a couple of days off from work to evaluate it against the DXR. Again, Sustainerplayer was invited, and while the difference wasn't night and day, like the DXR against a Behringer, the Dynacord was immensely better at projecting in a larger angle, much better spread and it had a certain something to it - the bottom end was much more defined as well. However, we only tried it out at loud, but not gigging loud, levels in my man cave, so the real test was on my next gig. I decided to go all in, and only bring this (not the DXR) to our gig last night in large Copenhagen music venue (a crowd of about 800 people) to take it to the test.

The stage was very loud, due to some surprising funky acoustics at a live music venue (our first time playing there). We measured the stage sound to about 118-120 dB! The Dynacord held up beautifully, not once running out of juice, punch, fullnes and just kept on feeding me glorious, glorious sound for two 1 hour sets. It is by far the best experience I've had running a modeller live, and I am VERY impressed by this little 30 pound beast. I could hear myself clearly in a large 4 meter perimeter on the stage, and I felt more like playing a guitar amp than I've ever did in the last 4.5 years using modellers.

It is definitely a keeper. It is loud (128 dB SPL), clear, punchy, full, and very versatile due to it's routing options. It is pretty lightweight (30 pounds), and the compact footprint sits nicely on the stage next to my pedalboard (Ax8 and GR-55).
As written above, I haven't tried the CLR for myself. However, others have, and from what I've read, the difference is negligible - the CLR has the tiniest edge in sound, while the Dynacord is more compact.

I urge anyone using a modeller with a monitor, that has the opportunity to try out one in person, to give the Axm-12a a go - I am VERY impressed with it, and it really feels like a major upgrade from the DXR once it gets to stage sound levels.
Excellent review - thank you! I've owned Dynacord equipment all my life (and lots of other brands too). I still have my Dynacord Eminent II which I still use for guitar - its over 40 years old already and still sounds like it did when new. It's still the best sounding guitar amp to my ears, although it was mostly intended to be a PA amp head back in the day. Axe-Fx through the Dynacord power amp stage is a beauty to behold. Love the Dynacord gear but its hard to get in the USA. Thanks again! P.S. I have QSC K12.2s which are pretty decent monitors or intimate venue speakers but I'm tempted to try the Dynacord Axm-12a just because I'm such a fan of the brand.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/dynacord_axm_12a.htm#bewertung
It looks like they offer it for US delivery direct for $888 dollars and $33.80 for shipping.
I like this if it’s really that good...the 3 inputs could be very useful.
The angular design, I see 1-pole mount, 2-monitor, 3-straight up,
but does it also look possible to use as a slightly tilted backline?
Where do you ship it if it breaks?

Back
Top Bottom