Review/Discussion: Retro Channel Stereo Power Amp

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
Lance Keltner of Retro Channel got in contact with me and offered me a review period with the Retro Channel Power Amp. I gladly took him up on his offer! One advantage to dealing with Retro Channel is that you deal with Lance directly; it's not some big corporation run by bean counters. Lance is accessible, knowledgeable and he can play guitar some... well, watch his demo videos. He's a beast on the guitar and lives it. His company makes serious gear and they stand behind it. I personally have a soft spot in my heart for guys that have the balls to design/produce and market boutique level gear for guitarists and stay available to the owner base via the Net and phone. It takes a helluva lot of confidence and balls; and Lance has stood the test of time. He's been around for quite awhile. That says a lot to me.

I am primarily in the last 5+ years a direct-to-FOH/FRFR guy, utilizing the Fractal Axe-FX family of preamps/modelers and then sending that direct to FOH and using a powered FRFR-type of monitor to well,... monitor myself. Using a power amp and conventional cab (in my case, I dusted off my old standby mid-80's Carvin 412 that I've owned since I was 15 (30 long years ago!). It's currently loaded with Eminence Red Coat and Patriot speakers in an X-pattern. It's a mono 8 ohm cab). Running the Axe-FX as a 'preamp on steroids' with a power amp and cab removes a lot of variables from setting up/dialing up tones and for a lot of players is a preferred way to roll. This review is based on that paradigm and focused on the power amp's performance and less on debating the 'in the room' aspect of this sort of setup. Horses for courses. I've also run my original (vintage?) "Witchdoctor" Rocktron Voodu Valve with it.

What do we have here?

2012-08-29_16-14-23_555.jpg

2012-08-29_16-13-54_848.jpg

The Retro Channel Power amp is a true stereo power amp, aka a dual monoblock design. It's solid state; it's solid as a tank (22 lbs) and it has cooling fins on the back; that means no cooling fan. It has simple 1/4" inputs/outputs on the back (R/in, L/in) & (R/out, L/out).

2012-08-29_16-14-57_931.jpg

2012-08-29_16-15-04_323.jpg

2012-08-29_16-14-51_435.jpg

On the front face, which features a prominent back-lit "Retro Channel" logo plate in the middle, an on/off power switch, and a mirror set of controls for the L/R monoblock power amps. Each side features a Volume, Master, Resonance and Presence.

In order, the Volume is your input level. You can vary this from clean and 'non-color timbre' allowing your given preamp to do the timbre; or you can ramp this control up (in relation to and working interactively) the Resonance, Presence and Master. The Master is your output level control and more is more. LOL. If you want it loud, this power amp can do it. I measured (db meter c-weighted, slow response) peaks of +128db about a yard from the cab. As with all 412's... that's a lot of air moving.

Unlike most solid state power amps, and more akin to tube power amps you have the Resonance and Presence controls. These are fascinating in conjunction with a preamp because they add the timbre of the Retro Channel 'thing' to your setup and are easy to hear/dial to best 'fit' your speaker setup.

In use, the Resonance is fairly subtle but IMHO is a 'set it and forget it' sort of control. You dial that control to best 'fit' your given cab and leave it there. Varying it for different types of tones doesn't make things better IMHO. Once you have it dialed... it's just 'right'. The Presence on the other hand, I liked more or less depending on the type of tone. I liked it up for more top 'bite' on clean tones, but - and this is personal preference and subjective - I tend to prefer darker OD type of tones, so I liked backing this off a bit.

Impressions:

The thing looks solid as hell, feels solid as hell. The cooling fin setup requires a fairly deep rack case; it's 13-1/4" deep from the front face to the rear of the cooling fins. (14" from the front of the control knobs to the back fins). They stick out 2" from the back of the unit. That's important to consider; but it also brings up one VERY important plus - no cooling fan. Silence when on.

With those 4 controls on the front, you can dial in all sorts of different timbre and it is remarkable - for a solid state amp - how much you can do with it. Lance has talked and shown in some demo videos that the power amp has some of the Retro Channel amp gain and 'feel' from their amp line. That allows you to actually even plug direct into the RC Power Amp and use it as a full blown solution. The gain level it allows is somewhere in the low mid-gain, essentially sounding like a pushed amp. If you are in a pinch because your preamp goes down; this is a nice alternative.

I ran this wide open for hours and hours, let it sit wide open for hours and hours. It gets warm, but never 'hot' to the touch. The cooling fins (note I did not have this mounted inside a rack case) get warm to the touch, but never more than that. Zero failures, issues or anything else.

What I want to hear from a power amp is the 'oomph' and interactivity with the cab. I want to FEEL it. Most solid state power amps I've used lack that reserve to deliver that 'thump' equal to a tube power amp in feel. This one, however, does it. That's remarkable and noteworthy. I've owned different power amps over the years from the Mosvalve MV-962 and Marshall's 8008 solid state power amps; to Randall Hammer 320, Carvin TS-100, Randall RT2/50 among others. Of them, the two solid state power amps I've owned cannot hold a candle to what I am hearing/feeling from the Retro Channel. I'd have to start comparing the Retro Channel to the big boy tube power amps (the Carvin wasn't as loud as it should have been given the specs; it was one of the first series they have gone on to improve over the years) and the Retro Channel is 22 lbs vs. the mammoth 50lbs for the Randall and (gulp) 67lbs for the Rivera. Is the output level comparable? Impossible to say. The Rivera was a monster from another time (and planet?); it was insane. I once ran four separate 412 cabs at one time in our practice space... I got vertigo. This Retro Channel has more than enough power to push two 412's... it's got power to burn. It might not match the mighty Rivera Hammer... but it's at least as loud and has more impact than the Carvin 100 watt tube rack amp I owned for sure.

Price/Value:

This is a premium piece of gear. It is made in the USA; that is going to add to the price tag. It is warrantied for life for the original buyer. It sells direct from Retro Channel's website for $1099. That puts it squarely in the upper range of available power amps - tube or solid state. The answer every musician in market asks is simple: Is it worth that price tag? I'd tell you straight up that this is worth very serious consideration. Why?

It looks, feels, and performs the part. Based on everything I've thrown at it... it performs exceptionally well. It is LOUD. It hits hard. It allows enough variation in both gain and controls - the resonance and presence - to dial it in to match your own particular cab. It does not blink at being hit hard for long periods of time. It exhibited no signs of any thermal distress even under heavy extended periods of use. Will that hold up to touring? I cannot say; it does indicate that there are no issues with my unit given the pounding I put it through.

Lance has informed me that it carries a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser; that bodes well for the confidence behind the design and build. It is built in the USA; and that means it carries a premium in price that cannot be ignored but also understood that not outsourcing the production overseas means that the company is willing to charge a little more to keep the production where the company is based. I will always give a high five to companies that do this - British companies making their gear in Great Britain, German companies making their gear in Germany, USA companies making their gear in the USA, etc, etc.. It allows for higher quality products and stricter quality control in general and IMHO, in practice. It adds a premium in price that I am often willing to pay for in order to support.

If I was in market for a power amp, I'd give serious consideration to this. There are a lot of competitors fighting for this market now - solid state amplifiers, digital switching power amplifiers, tube power amplifiers and hybrid designs. In that crowded space, Retro Channel is offering a solid, pro level piece of kit that they are standing behind with a lifetime warranty and producing it in the country of origin to do it. It performs far better than any solid state power amp I've owned in the past. I have no pause in giving the Retro Channel power amp a definite thumbs up and recommend you check them out if you are looking for a power amp. This is a worthy product.

Last edited:
Great review Scott, thanks for sharing!

I am on the fence between a Matrix and the Retro....any thoughts on the differences- price not being an issue? Do you feel the Retro Channel does well while running amp sims or is the work best left to the Retro?

Thanks,
Doug

That was a great review Scott! I thought I would throw in my two cents worth with regards to the question of using it with amp sims.

I've owned this amp for about a month now (got the second or third one buiilt, (according to Lance) and it sounds great with the amp sims on. I've also just tried to experiment with turning the amp sims off with a few different amp types. THe difference on some of the amp types is quite dramatic and with others not quite as much. Either way works fine, depends on personal preference. For me I use the Fractal amps sims on most of my favorite patches and use the input gain control to add some 'juice' to suit my liking.

It also works well with passive monitors and using the cab sims, which is the way I run my system.

I should also mention that I run my sound system and my PC/TV through this amp and I never turn it off. Even if I'm not home I leave the TV on. It's installed in a rack and I've checked several times and the heat sink is juist slightly warm to the touch each time.

Bottom line is that I love this amp and to me it was worth the extra money to have the versatility of the extra controls plus the great sounds I can get. Even through my passive monitors I can get some real 'thump' happening.

That was a great review Scott! I thought I would throw in my two cents worth with regards to the question of using it with amp sims.

I've owned this amp for about a month now (got the second or third one buiilt, (according to Lance) and it sounds great with the amp sims on. I've also just tried to experiment with turning the amp sims off with a few different amp types. THe difference on some of the amp types is quite dramatic and with others not quite as much. Either way works fine, depends on personal preference. For me I use the Fractal amps sims on most of my favorite patches and use the input gain control to add some 'juice' to suit my liking.

It also works well with passive monitors and using the cab sims, which is the way I run my system.

I should also mention that I run my sound system and my PC/TV through this amp and I never turn it off. Even if I'm not home I leave the TV on. It's installed in a rack and I've checked several times and the heat sink is juist slightly warm to the touch each time.

Bottom line is that I love this amp and to me it was worth the extra money to have the versatility of the extra controls plus the great sounds I can get. Even through my passive monitors I can get some real 'thump' happening.

Thanks for the info...seems like a slick piece of gear!

/Doug

Good review Scott.

I have been thinking about power amp options over this weeked as it happens - and TBH I think the Retro Channel has missed the boat a little, though Im sure its a great amp. I am NOT going into the tonal/feel aspects of the RC (or indeed the Fryette Ill mention) as I havent played them, and I fully understant that is the main consideration - but if youll indulge me.

The main issue with the old fassioned valve power amps (like the old VHT 2:50: or Mesa 2:90) are size (2U), weight (a LOT) and price. The other consideration is maintenance.

Well - manufacturers saw a market, and the first real amp to hit that was the Matrix GT800 - now updated to the GT1000. It offers a 1U amp with plently of oomph, its feather light and compared to the other options its cheap (even in the US). Its direct from manufacture and has very good customer relations. It sounds good - though whether its quite as good as a propper valve amp is down to the individual.

Next up to be announced was the Retro Channel. A different beast from a different perspective. Its heavy compared to the Matrix, and 2U - BUT has the capability with the front pannel knobs to be tunable. It offers flat response (with front pannel gain low) OR a more valve like response (with the gain up) - which the Matrix doesnt. ITs SS so keeps the maintenance out of the equation. On the face of it - and the reviews vids - its a stunning piece of kit which - particularly in the US (due to the higher cost of the Matrix over there - shipping and exchange rates being culpable) is a viable option v the Matrix. It will appeal to people with slightly different needs - if weight and size arnt an issue ot may be a better option, and certainly will be for some.

HOWEVER, soon after - Steve Fryette anounced his new amp. Its 1U, weighs about the same as the RC (so lighter than other valve amps) and is also going to be around the same price point. It is a stereo 40w amp capable of being bridged to 80w mono, and aslo has a slider to select traditional valve amp response or a flat response (deliberately included for the modelling world). Steve has demo'd the new amp on You-Tube and his power amps have always been great options.

The thing is - the the only thing the RC offers that the Fryette doesnt is the lack of valve maintenance, while the Fryette offers a 1U format. There really wouldnt appear to be much to choose between these two amps. It seems to me the "obvious" options would be the Matrix if you wanted a great sounding amp that is light/small and (relatively) cheap, OR the Fryette if you couldnt live without a propper valve response. the RC falls between the two, being the same price/weight as the Fryette, but bigger and with no valves, while its heavier, bigger and more expensive than the Matrix.

I REALLY hope the RC finds many homes, I also like designers who stick to their products, and who live outside the "mill". I really want to try one, and as I said at the start, I havent played one - nor have I played the Fryette offereing - and of course how the amps sound/feel, compared to each other and the Matrix may change how I and others feel about the relative products. However, at this point in time I honestly think the RC doesnt offer anything that one of the other two options cant do better (which one depends on what your priorities are). Hopefully theres some out there that think differently - there should always be room for more options.

Oh - i will say, Ive only commented on the "newer" amp options. I feel the RC has quite a lot going for it over the old standards (VHT 2:50:2 or 2:90:2 - and the Mesa 2:90s 2:50s etc), as compared to those its lighter and cheaper - without the valve mainenance. Its almost a shame that Steve is launching his 1U amp around the same time as the RC - its maybe stole Lances thunder a little.

Paul, you are a well known enthusiast for the Matrix amps and Matrix in general. Your comments hold weight, but have you actually tried the Retro Channel yet?

I cannot comment on the Matrix amps; I've heard one (the original version) but not in a critical sense... so I hold my opinion until I have. Same for the Fryette. Have you tried either of them? IMHO, forming an opinion of 'missing the boat' or 'stealing thunder' assumes too much.

I do foresee checking out the Fryette in person and will review that one personally; and the Matrix folks have been in touch with me in the past regarding their active monitor wedge, which was also a good sign I'll be reviewing that in person. I fully remain hopeful that all these different products are definitely worthy of consideration but find that sharing opinion without personal experience is presumptuous at best.

Scott that was an excellent review!! I bought a RC stereo amp 2 weeks ago replacing my Matrix Gt800fx. After I realized Lance lived in my hometown of Austin, Texas, it was a no brainer to support a local business and give the RC a shot. Lance invited me over to his house, hooked up my AXE to his RC channel thru 2 1x12 cabs loaded with ASW Elegantes, and BAM!! I was sold!! The ability to dial in that extra "tube" break up sound with the Volume knob is sooo cool. It doesn't take anything away from the AXE only enhances it thru your speaker cabs. I recently bought a ASW 1x12 loaded with a KTS-70 and it rocks!! Yesterday I ran the KTS-70 on one side and an EV12L 1x12 on the other and it sounded Righteous! Of course all this is subjective and the only way to know if its right for you is to try for yourself.

One of the great things about Fractal is the customer service and its great that we have these new companies like Retro channel offering the same. It really adds to the community we have here and I'm feel happy to support them and to use their beloved products!

Scott that was an excellent review!! I bought a RC stereo amp 2 weeks ago replacing my Matrix Gt800fx. After I realized Lance lived in my hometown of Austin, Texas, it was a no brainer to support a local business and give the RC a shot. Lance invited me over to his house, hooked up my AXE to his RC channel thru 2 1x12 cabs loaded with ASW Elegantes, and BAM!! I was sold!! The ability to dial in that extra "tube" break up sound with the Volume knob is sooo cool. It doesn't take anything away from the AXE only enhances it thru your speaker cabs. I recently bought a ASW 1x12 loaded with a KTS-70 and it rocks!! Yesterday I ran the KTS-70 on one side and an EV12L 1x12 on the other and it sounded Righteous! Of course all this is subjective and the only way to know if its right for you is to try for yourself.

One of the great things about Fractal is the customer service and its great that we have these new companies like Retro channel offering the same. It really adds to the community we have here and I'm feel happy to support them and to use their beloved products!

Thanks!
I am so glad you are enjoying it.

Elchampion - how does the Retro compare vs your Matrix?

I decided against the Matrix and went with the Retro and that has definitely been the right decision for me personally.

@Scott.

As I say - I havent tried the RC yet, nor Fryette. I fully understand sound/feel is the primary concern with amps, and its possible that the RC is so much better in that department to either of the other options. Having the tunability on the front pannel while still being SS does have great appeal - and is probably the RCs biggest selling point. My comments were not what these amps soundlike, but where they sit from a design/footprint/logistic POV - which for many are also considerations.
if I was in the US, and certainly close to Austin, I would have tried the RC already - but logistics arnt as easy where I am (and NOT just because in In the UK). TBH the same thing goes for the Fryette, whos distribution over here is less than desirable.

The thing both the Matrix, in its light, small, great sounding/feeling form AND the RC with its tunability and (by all accounts) great sound and feel proove - once again - is that you dont NEED the weight/cost/maintenance of valves to sound great.

Scott, how did you experience playing through a power amp + cabinet again, compared to your RCF?

Scott, how did you experience playing through a power amp + cabinet again, compared to your RCF?

It was rude, fun and loud. Not necessarily in that order. :D I only own my 412 in terms of conventional guitar speaker cabs; and 412's by nature and design are not your friendly 'bedroom level' choice for a speaker cab. ;)

I am a control freak and a die-hard Direct-to-FOH/FRFR guy at this point though in terms of preference. That does not mean I can't have fun and use any sort of rig; I can and do. With a higher end FRFR monitor like the RCF, I don't give up much in terms of 'impact' or volume... it's just different.

If I was to 'go back' to running a more conventional rig... this power amp would be in contention for sure. I was impressed with its reserve; the impact 'chugga chugga' can get.

All IMHO, YMMV.

Good review Scott.

I have been thinking about power amp options over this weeked as it happens - and TBH I think the Retro Channel has missed the boat a little, though Im sure its a great amp...

Paul, I agree with some of the points you made....but I think there is certainly a boat that RC did not miss.

I have three scenarios that I need amplification for. Studio Recording, Live Club Gigs, and Home rehearsal/writing sessions:

a) Studio Recording - I use headphones or powered studio monitors (so no need for a power amp).

b) Live Club Gigs - for convenience of having a small rack, I like a powered FRFR speaker. Currently using FBT, but anxious to hear new Matrix, Atomic and XiTone powered wedges. (so again, no need for a power amp).

c) Home rehearsal/writing sessions - here is where I like using a power amp. Big, fat and loud....through 4x12 cabs.
So of all the options you listed above....I am trying to chose the right amp for me. I currently own Marshall 100/100 tube, MosValve 962, ART SLA2, 5 or 6 different Crown amps, Marshall 8008, Marshall 20/20 tube.
Currently, when I rehearse or write (with a drummer), I use the Marshall 100/100. Why?... Because it has some meat to it, that no other SS amps have been able to replicate yet. I have also tried the Matrix GT800, and compared to my Marshall 100/100. Matrix is an EXCELLENT SS power amp. But it could not quite replicate what the Marshall does. So...I didn't buy one. Why?...Because in this situation, single rack space, light weight...don't mean anything to me.
NOW....there is still one challenge in this situation....tubes. Maintenance on the Marshall 100/100 is not fun.
So my long term goal (for home use) is to find a power amp that is capable of powering a minimum of two 4x12 cabs, sounds as good as my Marshall 100/100, and requires NO MAINTENANCE. So.....Retro Channel (with it's front panel magic) may be a great option.

Comparing the other options: Matrix GT800 - sounds very similar to my Crown K2. Matrix is much smaller and lighter...but again, this isn't leaving my basement, so it's not a factor for me.
New Fryette - I don't want tubes, so this is no better an option than my Marshall 20/20.

I'm not in anyway saying that Matrix and Fryette aren't excellent solutions for other purposes. But for what I need in my rehearsal space, the Retro may be just the boat I jump on.

Just one man's opinion.

@MMG- the matrix served me well! It's a great flat power amp and the guys at Matrix are a class act. I just like the tonal options the RC has to offer. The ability to add that 'tube' break up if you want is awesome when playing thru guitar cabs. It compliments the tones on the axe very well as you know!

Elchampion - I do indeed and I think that awesome does describe it quite well. May I also compliment your deft handling of a potential curved ball. ;)

In addition, might I proffer the distillation of my own musing and suggest an alternative view in that Lance might indeed have a rather attractive boat for those who are inclined to make up their own minds and follow their own path.

...The ability to dial in that extra "tube" break up sound with the Volume knob is sooo cool. It doesn't take anything away from the AXE only enhances it thru your speaker cabs.

This has me thinking a bit.....
Wondering if you captured an IR of your cab, with the RC (I'm going to call it) tube enhancement....and then use Output 2 with that IR to FOH. Would your IR capture that 'extra something' you dialed in on the RC. May be a cool option.

This has me thinking a bit.....
Wondering if you captured an IR of your cab, with the RC (I'm going to call it) tube enhancement....and then use Output 2 with that IR to FOH. Would your IR capture that 'extra something' you dialed in on the RC.
IRs capture EQ only. Breakup is nonlinear, and that puts it out of reach of an IR.

Back
Top Bottom