Bug? Reverse Delay, uh oh! - Q1.06

brianv4

Fractal Fanatic
it's not a smooth delay, it's pulsating to the tempo. check out scene 5.

Now it's gets a bit messy and off topic. I went back to Q1.05 (wanted to see if the reverse delay was ok), now a few bank A presets were blank. loaded my back up file, completely wiped out all of Bank A! File size is 830kb so i know the data is there. Took some messing but I'm back on Q1.06 and have my presets. whew!

Back on topic. the problem i noticed with the reverse delay is still there

Attachments

• Dazed & Confused.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 1
I'm not sure anything has changed about this recently, but the reverse delay crossfade is linear. This almost guarantees an audible drop in volume during the fade. A logarithmic fade would keep a move stable level on average. Here's a 100 ms linear fade and a 100 ms log crossfade on the same piece of audio:

You could try increasing the crossfade time a bit to make it sound smoother now. And a different crossfade type won't completely remove some pulsing on things like held chords, due to the nature of reverse delay. If you're holding a note/chord that's decaying in volume, reverse delay makes it a series of slight swells, each one quieter than the previous.

I'm not sure anything has changed about this recently, but the reverse delay crossfade is linear. This almost guarantees an audible drop in volume during the fade. A logarithmic fade would keep a move stable level on average. Here's a 100 ms linear fade and a 100 ms log crossfade on the same piece of audio:

You could try increasing the crossfade time a bit to make it sound smoother now. And a different crossfade type won't completely remove some pulsing on things like held chords, due to the nature of reverse delay. If you're holding a note/chord that's decaying in volume, reverse delay makes it a series of slight swells, each one quieter than the previous.
not sure we're talking about the same thing. i use the reverse delay in a few other patches and never experienced this pulsing before Q1.06

Would you be able to reload an earlier firmware again and post a clip comparing that to 1.06? Or even just a clip of 1.06. I think you'll find the pulsing is a drop/return in volume, which is more drastic with the linear crossfade. I'm pretty sure it's always been like that though.

Are you laying your guitar cable near the midi cable going to your foot controller? Usually the tempo is being pulsed to the foot controller to control the light blinking on your tap tempo button, and sometimes a guitar cable can pick up that interference, and cause a disturbance in the force.

Are you laying your guitar cable near the midi cable going to your foot controller? Usually the tempo is being pulsed to the foot controller to control the light blinking on your tap tempo button, and sometimes a guitar cable can pick up that interference, and cause a disturbance in the force.
good thought but no. same setup as always; I sit at my workstation, rack behind me, short (quality) guitar cable, no controller unless i'm practicing scene changes and when I do I'm using the cat5 connection. i'll try to post some audio of it Monday.

Would you be able to reload an earlier firmware again and post a clip comparing that to 1.06? Or even just a clip of 1.06. I think you'll find the pulsing is a drop/return in volume, which is more drastic with the linear crossfade. I'm pretty sure it's always been like that though.
i tried to go back to 1.05, lost all my programs. fortunately i back up often. will try that again when i have more time, thx!

Could the crossfade taper be adjusted? I think the linear fades may be a part of what the OP is noticing, even though it's not a recent change to the block.

Back
Top Bottom