Bug? Reverse delay always modulated

Sebastian

Power User
I'm not sure if it's a bug or if this is intended behaviour (or if it's inherent from the reverse delay algorithm), but I noticed that the reversed delay signal has some "stepped" modulation going on, no matter what feedback settings and with LFOs at 0% depth.

While that doesn't sound wrong when playing single notes (rather 60s psychedelic, with the sound becoming flat and sharp), it's impossible to create something like a reversed reverb, which is what I was going for.

So if it's not a bug, I have a wish: don't modulate the reverse delay, I'll take care of that myself with the LFOs.

Seb

Do not know the reason for this pitch modulation either. Do you already know how to solve this problem? I would like to try the reversed delay for sound scapings... :-[

Do not know the reason for this pitch modulation either. Do you already know how to solve this problem? I would like to try the reversed delay for sound scapings... :-[

I don't see a way to solve this at the moment - there's modulation going on with not one setting indicating or influencing that. Like I said, even with feedback and LFOs at 0% it's there.

IMO that's a major flaw and I hope it gets fixed. The reverse delay is useless right now for anything beyond psychedelic noodling.

Note that reverse delay is cross-faded so that's probably what you are hearing. If there were no cross-fade, it would click at the snippet boundaries.

Could be, I'm not an expert at this. Could this also explain why sometimes it sounds as if a delay gets repeated, despite any feedback set to 0%? Perhaps, when the played part lies just on the "snippet boundary" .

Anyway, clip and patch here, created and recorded from scratch:
http://www.students.uni-mainz.de/sebbraun/rev_delay_modu.mp3
http://www.students.uni-mainz.de/sebbraun/rev_delay_modu.syx

The modulation occurs at 3 sec, 7.5 sec and 10.8 sec. Each snippet is from a different take, the first just delay, the other with reverb in front, both FX 100% wet.

If it's due to cross-fading, then it's "nature of the beast" I'm afraid, right?
Perhaps I can make it work by modifying "run" with ADSR...

edit: any hints at recreating a reversed reverb would be appreciated ;) Dedicated reverse reverb type would be the bomb though.

What do you mean exactly by modulation, at those points?
Sounds like a normal reversed delay to me.

Does it sound different from reversing a recorded phrase in the Looper?

I mean that at those points the sound is going a bit flat, like detuned. Not much, but noticeable. When I created the topic I was fooling around with patch where this detuning was more dramatic. I did not try around as much tonight 'cause I wanted to get the clip done and posted.

I did not make an A-B comparison with the looper in reverse mode and these short snippets, but I use the looper in a song (with bass playing along) with a reversed 8 sec phrase and it sounds fine, no alteration in pitch at all.

If a pedal is involved, make sure it isn't tied to two modifiers (had this problem yesterday, where a volume pedal also gave a wah effect).

If a pedal is involved, make sure it isn't tied to two modifiers (had this problem yesterday, where a volume pedal also gave a wah effect).

Thanks fellow, those kinda things can play tricks on you easily, I know. But nothing involved here: patch from scratch [love that rhyme ;)] i.e. no modifiyers at all, no pedals/midi controller/Axe-Edit connected.

Post the example preset?

PS: The example on p. 99 also applies to how reverse delay works.
http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Owners-Manual-600c.pdf

K
eep in mind that the snippet boundries may not always line up with your musical thinking! You can control where the loop begins using the RUN parameter.

He has the preset post above.

Those modulations are are at about the snippet boundries (4 sec delay).

Lowering the crossfade value would help some. Setting the eq flat instead of cutoffs at 50 and 10000 (that might cause some eq phase issues on any overlap perhaps?).

here's an audio example. i swell in one note with no vibrato (so there can be no confusion about crossfading with other notes). everything is at default, except delay time

you can't tell me there's not something wrong there...

Simeon / Steadystate, are you guys still getting this? I'm at 11.05 now. I can't reproduce your particular bug. But instead, I've noticed the Multidelay reverse plex shift is giving me clicks with long-ish delay times (1.7 sec+). But only when the crossfade is high (20%+). 0% crossfade is actually rather smooth. This seems new.

yup - still happening here. just tried again. dropped in a reverse delay and set delay time to 4000ms, feedback to 90%. same wandering pitch artefact.

Back
Top Bottom