Reverb Tweak Tip - "best of both worlds" :o)

Radley said:
tlainhart said:
Did you record this direct? If so, talk about "in the room" - this sounds exactly is if you're miked. The sound quality is fantastic.

Jay Mitchell said:
Here's a very quick clip I did with a 'verb a setting I'm now using in several presets:

http://jay-mitchell.com/'Verb%20Demo.mp3

I intentionally dialed it in wetter than I normally would (reverb mix is set at 26%) to demonstrate the retention of articulation you get with this kind of setting.

Yes - Jay's sample is a nice, clear example of how delaying the long verb allows the note attacks to be heard clearly and fully. The first time I became aware this reverb effect was on a recording of a powerful black gospel singer - it seemed like the reverb was 'exploding' after every word - extremely dynamic, yet clear. :)

This is also a very popular studio technique for drums...particularly snare

Great old thread, looking for an update with parameters I see that have been around for a while now... I don't know since when but my present frame of reference is Quantum 3.0.3.

I immediately got exactly what I wanted by increasing early level and using pre-delay of a few milliseconds. Gives the sound a distant big sound like a big stage backline recorded from the audience. Very useful to blend into existing recordings, to get the right amount of ambience.

So... I came off the rails a bit looking for "tail delay". I suspect somewhere after the earlier posts in this thread, the reverb mechanism became more complicated with high and low frequency time, lf crossover, early and late diffusion and times... where do I tweak "tail delay" now? I want to focus on making the reverb more articulate as discussed above.

I should add, I'm using AxeFX II XL. Landed on this thread from Yek's How-Tos, not just browsing threads for a different model than I have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom