Reverb Tweak Tip - "best of both worlds" :o)

thats kind of my question regarding the parameter "size". The size param adjusts the virtual size of the room- each of main classifications of verbs sm room, medium room, large room etc can be adjusted for different virtual sizes. This adjust a certain amount of predelay in it's calcs, but that info is hidden.
Color also has a big influence- I prefer a bit less of the high end reflections, the color parm will allow for taming the high end.
I am also diving into the diffusion param. This is to control the density of the reflections-

Funny- in the past few years i've grown accustomed to having no reverb in my signal at all- just allowing the natural reverb of whatever room I was in to do its thing. But having so much control over the reverbs output has got me digging in for a good "middle ground" for live playing. I don't record much, the majority of my playing is live. I dont care for a saturated reverb sound, so in the past i have opted for the room acoustics, but i think i;ll be able to find exactly what i am wanting to hear inside this redesigned verb.
Thanks for the push to get back in and do some learning, this box never fails to provide.

AndrewSimon said:
Radley said:
Andrew - Nice work... your sound on that clip has a warm natural ambience & is 'believable' (amplike) - to me, that is the real test ;)

Regarding this Verb technique: Some folks might find it helpful to dial in the Early level settings first, then add the long verb to taste. This is a simple matter of dropping the (long) Reverb to it's minimum level (which is basically inaudible), until you have your Early settings nailed, then adding back the long verb as desired.

Thanks, this knowledge is very powerful.
I can get my guitar to mix much easier into any material now.
But I want to understand more:

Pre-Delay is the same as early reflection... right?
It simulates the early reflections from mainly the side walls.... correct?

Why is it that with guitar amp we set the Pre-Delay level so high?
Are we simulating "building space" with this or something else?

:?:
Andrew,

The Pre Delay parameter determines how much delay time before the early reflection is heard - this determines the 'size' of the 'close ambience' aspect of the reverb sound (the mic'ed Cab effect). Longer settings will make the close ambience sound bigger, and somewhat more 'distant'. This 'close ambience' is what gives the sound 'roominess' & warmth, and keeps it from sounding too dry & direct.

The Tail Delay parameter only effects the long verb, and can be used to make the tail effect more dramatic while allowing the original performance to retain more clarity.

The total of the Pre Delay and Tail Delay settings determine the actual amount of time before the long verb is heard - they are additive.

I think of the Reverb Size parameter as a 'fine tuning' control of the long verb's sound - it doesn't really effect the length of the verb (unless you make it really small & metallic - this sound would mainly be used for freaky effects).

Bottom Line: Trust your ears - if it sounds good it IS good!

BTW: The reverb's Chorus parameters only effect the long verb, not the early reflection.

Thanks Radley, Jay, and everyone for sharing your thoughts on reverb. I've finally been able to find the time to explore the finer points of reverb and this thread was timely indeed. I've not had a processor that had such in depth tuning of reverb so this helps a great deal...great stuff!!

I am a total newbie when it comes to reverb and I find it hard to grasp the concepts used in this topic.

Here is an example of the settings I've tried, after reading through this topic:

haslarreverbsettings.jpg

Is that right?

Also: I see no "Tail Delay" parameter on my AxeFX Editor Screen?

haslar said:
I am a total newbie when it comes to reverb and I find it hard to grasp the concepts used in this topic.

Here is an example of the settings I've tried, after reading through this topic:

haslarreverbsettings.jpg

Is that right?

Also: I see no "Tail Delay" parameter on my AxeFX Editor Screen?
That's right. Axe-Edit is not up to speed. 0.8.300 is at Firmware 8.9
You have a Standard, no? Otherwise you're missing more parameters.

Raca made a 9.0 config for Lars's editor. Both versions.

Dutch said:

Dutch,
many thanks for the info !!

I do have the Standard version, indeed.

Dutch said:

I did not know that.
Any idea where this can be downloaded from?

thanks !!

Dutch said:

Lar's Editor doesn't have the Tail Delay either ( yet ) ....

Hmm. For high gain tones this is more subtle than I thought it would be. You WILL immediately notice it by the fact that your fast runs will now be heard as a set of distinct notes, not a somewhat indistinct blur. Which can be a good and a bad thing, depending on how precise you are when playing the fast runs. :lol: This tweak certainly makes the reverb less "forgiving".

R.D. said:
Dutch said:

Lar's Editor doesn't have the Tail Delay either ( yet ) ....
Didn't Raca added it in his xml file ?

I'm completely loving this tweak tip. I got to playing around with one of my patches and decided to try something. I attached my exp pedal to amp pan and also to reverb pan but opposite. Fun stuff. Tell me what you think. Typical - please excuse the horrid clams - this was about hearing the effect :lol: It's supposed to sound like a large space. I'm open to suggestions like it's too something or not enough something else etc.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=620394&content=songinfo&songID=8540145

Jay Mitchell said:
Here's a very quick clip I did with a 'verb a setting I'm now using in several presets:

http://jay-mitchell.com/'Verb%20Demo.mp3

I intentionally dialed it in wetter than I normally would (reverb mix is set at 26%) to demonstrate the retention of articulation you get with this kind of setting.

Jay,
I would love to see you overall settings for this reverb block. Sounds great!

AndrewSimon said:
A quick reverb test, the new way:

http://www.andras-shimon.com/TEMP/ReverbTest.mp3

What do you think?

I missed this. That is one best examples I've heard of the guitar tone sitting perfectly into the backing, very well done Andrew. Don't suppose you could share the patch? It's the type of integrated sound I spend most of my time trying to achieve. Thanks Radley for the the original post, great thinking!

POB said:
AndrewSimon said:
A quick reverb test, the new way:

http://www.andras-shimon.com/TEMP/ReverbTest.mp3

What do you think?

I missed this. That is one best examples I've heard of the guitar tone sitting perfectly into the backing, very well done Andrew. Don't suppose you could share the patch? It's the type of integrated sound I spend most of my time trying to achieve. Thanks Radley for the the original post, great thinking!

Here is the preset I used:
http://www.andras-shimon.com/AXE-FX/LernerLowGain.syx

Unfortunately there is no magic reverb setting that will fit all tracks.
You can use this as starting point but it will have to be adjusted to the individual track.

Note, I also used a little post mixing in my DAW.
I always slap EQ on everything, here I cut things below 50HZ and I put a little high shelve EQ
on the Backing Track to match the guitar.
I also used a little compression and a limiter on the master to "glue" things together.

;)

Thanks Andrew, that's very helpful. I wasn't a million miles away with my reverb settings but Radley's simple tip is a real gem.

Andrew,

would you share with us what guitar was used to record the demo? Also, what do you use to monitor while tweaking (prior to recording)?

Thanks!
Chris

bigedawg said:
Andrew,

would you share with us what guitar was used to record the demo? Also, what do you use to monitor while tweaking (prior to recording)?

Thanks!
Chris

Gibson LP G0 (plain top Historic R0 made for GC) with
Throbak 101LTD pickups (bridge PAF style)
I monitor everything via Event 20/20 Studio Monitors (8")
I also want to mention my new guitar cable, Vovox Sonorus, because I feel it has a pretty
big impact on the tone. (I know, I wasn't a believer either until I played one)

;)

bigedawg said:
Thanks for the quick reply. This is quite helpful as I try to emulate your tone on the demo.

Chris

Gotcha...

Tone on the guitar rolled back to 4-5
Volume on the guitar rolled back to 8-9
Played with fingers (no pick)

Good luck!

;)

I really liked your tone on this. Put in a Mark Knopfler meets Ry Cooder frame of mind. One of the nicer clean sounds I've heard with the Axe. Beautiful verb space, too.

Mike

InsideOut said:
I'm completely loving this tweak tip. I got to playing around with one of my patches and decided to try something. I attached my exp pedal to amp pan and also to reverb pan but opposite. Fun stuff. Tell me what you think. Typical - please excuse the horrid clams - this was about hearing the effect :lol: It's supposed to sound like a large space. I'm open to suggestions like it's too something or not enough something else etc.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=620394&content=songinfo&songID=8540145

Back
Top Bottom