Reverb Spillover Between Presets

eric_

So I think I have this figured out but can't be sure. I don't have my unit in front of me but thought I'd ask here.

I have a preset set up where the last active block in scene 1 is a reverb (deep space) set to 100% mix. I need to switch to another sound with a different reverb (spring reverb around 25% mix) however there isn't enough CPU available to add in another reverb block. As a result I've been trying to set up a separate preset for this but I had been having trouble with the spillover.

In the second preset I made sure that reverb 1 is set up exactly as it is in the previous preset (deep space, 100 mix etc.). I've made sure the block is active and that the input gain is set to 0%. This is then followed by reverb 2 (spring reverb) which is active. When I switch over from preset 1 to preset 2 I get no sound, which I concluded was because reverb 1 mix is 100% and input gain is 0%, so there's no signal to feed through. Am I right in thinking this?

If so, if I placed the two reverbs in parallel would this retain just the spillover for reverb 1 while allowing the dry signal to pass through to reverb 2?

If Reverb 1 is only there for spillover it can be in the last column, connected to output block only.

If you want to use Reverb 1 later in this preset, it should probably be parallel to Reverb 2. Also you can bypass it (Mute In or Mute FX In) rather than turning input gain down. This would simplify using that same reverb setting later, avoiding the need for XY switching or an input gain modifier.

If Reverb 1 is only there for spillover it can be in the last column, connected to output block only.

If you want to use Reverb 1 later in this preset, it should probably be parallel to Reverb 2. Also you can bypass it (Mute In or Mute FX In) rather than turning input gain down. This would simplify using that same reverb setting later, avoiding the need for XY switching or an input gain modifier.

Thanks I got it working with the second method. I'm actually using an FX8, rather than an Axe FX. Can the first method you mentioned be adapted for the FX8?

The FX8 doesn't provide that sort of control over connections. So, bypassing or zeroing input gain are the options. Technically it doesn't have to be in parallel, if you set mix to something like 50% (increase level 3 dB from previous setting in this case). That could be useful if you want to engage the block later and have every earlier block applied to the reverb input signal, instead of the previous block being parallel.

Back
Top Bottom