Reverb Scam?

Matt007

Inspired
I’ve had an item on Reverb for a few weeks (a power amp) that didn’t have many views and then just sold out of the blue today with no negotiation on price. Great news, right? 😀

The buyer doesn’t have any reviews on Reverb and sent me a message just before buying saying “how excited they were to buy it” and how “important it was to send with signature required given it was Christmas time and doesn’t want it stolen.”

I then got another message along the same lines where it seemed pretty clear to me that the buyer hadn’t really read the listing very carefully (I included a rack case and cable with it) which wasn’t realized until after the fact. It just gave me the sense that he/she isn’t totally sure what was purchased.

Anyway, the funds were sent via PayPal immediately and have cleared into my account. Another good thing, right?

If I have the cash and send insured as well as signature required, would you still go through with this?

I realize this could all be perfectly normal, I’m just a little surprised by the communication and lack of negotiation. Have sold several items on Reverb and they rarely play out this way. What are the potential scams here, if any?

i'm not understanding the reason for hesitation here.

just that he was excited for the main item, but didn't realize the accessory items included?

i'm not implying you're overthinking or wrong, it's not clear to me from what you've shared is all.

Haha. Was just envisioning a scenario where a buyer claims they never received the gear and then I have to refund the money. I kind of get the suspicion the buyer doesn’t know what they bought, but I’ll let that go.

I’ll send insured and signature required. Just wanted to make sure this wasn’t a known scam.

Thanks!

you can never be too careful. i think paypal tends to side on the buyer side?

They sure do! I've be on eBay for almost 20 years with almost 2,000 transactions and 100% feedback. A buyer bought an expensive item from me, broke it and then claimed it was broke when he got it. PayPal sided with him and forced me to accept the return and told me they would be taking the money from my account. Buyer had under 20 transactions. It was buyers remorse in my opinion. The unit was not really broken. Cost me $60 for shipping both ways. Total BS if you ask me. Put a bad taste in my mouth for eBay and PayPal. Reverb isn't any better.

Ask him some question, out of curiosity, like: what axe are you using? single or humbucker?

They sure do! I've be on eBay for almost 20 years with almost 2,000 transactions and 100% feedback. A buyer bought an expensive item from me, broke it and then claimed it was broke when he got it. PayPal sided with him and forced me to accept the return and told me they would be taking the money from my account. Buyer had under 20 transactions. It was buyers remorse in my opinion. The unit was not really broken. Cost me $60 for shipping both ways. Total BS if you ask me. Put a bad taste in my mouth for eBay and PayPal. Reverb isn't any better.

Yup. I've drastically cut back selling on Reverb and stopped eBay altogether 2 years ago. None of them really protect the seller any longer. Maybe they just assume everyone selling is a larger business and can afford eat it every once in a while. I'm not against buyer protections, but seems the more buyer protections that get rolled out the more scammers have to work with.

I will buy from eBay but never again will I sell anything thru them. My last sale I was doing a buddy a favor and listed his Marshall JMP1. I hadn't sold anything thru eBay in several years. Buyer was from Puerto Rico, I had stated in the ad CONUS! After a week I hadn't received PayPal payment so I contacted eBay at which point they tell me being that I hadn't sold anything in over two years that the buyer must receive and and inspect the item before they will release payment. Wound up sending it and it took like a month to get paid. Game over eBay. I guess that's why I have a room full of guitar stuff I need to sell. :tonguewink:

Back
Top Bottom