Reverb Pedal and Axefx

Shredder3386

Inspired
Hey guys,

I just picked up the Earthquaker devices "Afterneath" reverb pedal and so far it sounds sick with my amp rig. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to run it with my Axefx 2? Do you run it in the FX loop? If so l, how would you go about connecting it and where in the patch would you put it? The only pedal I had experience with using with the Axe is my overdrive pedals which I run in front of the Axe. Any help or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Output 2 to Pedal Input
Pedal Output to Input 2
FX Loop in your preset, typically one of the last blocks in your row since it's a reverb effect

you'll have to balance the Out 2 knob on the front panel (yes turn it up!) with the Pedal's output/volume knob, and you might have to adjust the Software Input 2 volume knob in the I/O menu.

from there, you can either use a switch to turn the FX Loop block on and off, leaving the Pedal on; or leave the FX Loop block ON and use the Pedal itself for on vs off.

or you could experiment with the MultiDelay or MegaTap Delay blocks into a Reverb block already in the Axe - that's what it sounds like the pedal does. putting all that in parallel with a Phaser or Chorus block could get some of the other sounds too.

Output 2 to Pedal Input
Pedal Output to Input 2
FX Loop in your preset, typically one of the last blocks in your row since it's a reverb effect

you'll have to balance the Out 2 knob on the front panel (yes turn it up!) with the Pedal's output/volume knob, and you might have to adjust the Software Input 2 volume knob in the I/O menu.

from there, you can either use a switch to turn the FX Loop block on and off, leaving the Pedal on; or leave the FX Loop block ON and use the Pedal itself for on vs off.

or you could experiment with the MultiDelay or MegaTap Delay blocks into a Reverb block already in the Axe - that's what it sounds like the pedal does. putting all that in parallel with a Phaser or Chorus block could get some of the other sounds too.

Thanks so much Chris, this is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. It is greatly appreciated!

Another option: Axe output to pedal, pedal to whatever you've already got connected downstream.

Yes that's what I would do. It is less hassle. It saves you from having to put an FX loop block in every single preset. So much easier to just put the pedal at the output of the Axe.

Last edited:
The Axe FX has amazing reverbs.
Personally, I would not use anything else. Especially, because I'd have to occupy my FX loop for a reverb... I use that for a cab :)

Ya you could probably get the exact sound using the reverb blocks but I'm not much for tinkering haha. I'm usually best at creating heavy rhythm patches, but not so much for clean. I'd rather just use the pedal so you can get that ambient/wash sound right away. Leaves more time for recording or practicing :)

The Axe FX has amazing reverbs.
Personally, I would not use anything else. Especially, because I'd have to occupy my FX loop for a reverb... I use that for a cab :)

The Aftermath is not a vanilla reverb. It is built on delay lines similar to our tape delay. In other words, it has an effect like "Motor Speed". It's fun. On the Axe-Fx, I think you could run the reverb and a tape delay (or two? True Stereo.) in series and use SEND and RETURN blocks to do something very similar.

--
Matt

Back
Top Bottom