Reverb on leads live, yes or no?

I don't generally use reverb live - I think it just pushes the guitar farther back in the mix and /or sounds muddy in a room that isn't treated properly (i.e. every place I have ever played live). I use slapback delay instead of reverb in live situations.

I don't generally use reverb live - I think it just pushes the guitar farther back in the mix and /or sounds muddy in a room that isn't treated properly (i.e. every place I have ever played live). I use slapback delay instead of reverb in live situations.

ducking solves that for me... I can really get a big ambient verb that doesn't go to crap

Ducked delay, quite much eq'd leaving almost only medium freq (the contrary of scooped). No reverb except slight spring on blues.
Less CPU usage and less larssen on live guitar. Reverb sometimes on shimmer effects to smoothen/smear the sound.

Totally depends on genre and venue.

If you crank the verb in an arena, that's goofy. If you're bone dry in a P&W or post-rock gig, that's equally goofy.

I think the one universal rule of thumb is to make sure the verb (or lack thereof) is never distracting.
Agree with this, but with a caution. Modern P&W uses a lot of verb, and a lot of churches use IEM. I've seen too many P&W players mixing to the IEM, oblivious to the sound in the room. If possible, use, or borrow, a wireless, and get out in the room to hear how that beautiful mix in your monitors can sound like a washed out mess...

Agree with this, but with a caution. Modern P&W uses a lot of verb, and a lot of churches use IEM. I've seen too many P&W players mixing to the IEM, oblivious to the sound in the room. If possible, use, or borrow, a wireless, and get out in the room to hear how that beautiful mix in your monitors can sound like a washed out mess...
if it sounds like a washed out mess it's usually on FOH....

Only if you're sending them a dry mix. Then they can mix to the room.
no, you can send them a wet mix and be fine, it doesn't have to be a dry mix. unless you have the worst room in history or you are terrible at dialing in patches.

We use IEMs and wireless guitar packs for all guitarists. I'm the TD and head FOH engineer and I dial the Axe-Fx amp tones in for the guitarists based on what's pumping out of the arrays.

When it comes to dialing in their verb and wet effects, they'll tweak knobs on their boards and walk out into the house to hear and feel it. It almost always translates fine to the IEMs, but the other way around never does.

When I play on occasion, I dial the patches in at home on my AX8 and studio monitors at a loud volume, and it translates perfectly.

My patches always have a light spring reverb in the patch. I never turn it off or crank it higher. I cant play without it, too dry.

I do use reverb on all my presets, different settings, but always on so it's on in solos as well. I'm curious why the guys who said "no" don't use it on solos? What don't you guys like about it?

I do use reverb on all my presets, different settings, but always on so it's on in solos as well. I'm curious why the guys who said "no" don't use it on solos? What don't you guys like about it?
I use it only for my IEMs... Not to FOH or to my wedges if I am using them.

But it's either on or off, regardless of lead or rhythm.

I've always struggled to find a reverb that works for me in a "normal" live use case. Typical room ambience is totally fine to me... I use it with IEMs to simulate that due to the isolation and directness.

On the other hand, I always run a light delay and that covers a similar ground to what many use the reverb for.

I'm in the "always on" group as well.
To me the perfect amount is when you don't really notice it...until you turn it off.

Back
Top Bottom