Reverb issue (crackling... regardless of reverb type) AXE FX III MKII - FW 20.03

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a much better demonstration, thanks. It's interesting that your input clipping has gone away in this clip. I wonder if that's a clue.

You must have the output cranked to get an audible signal (or the gain turned way up in your DAW)? Don't turn your Input Gain down like that, that's in the digital domain, so it won't have any effect on input clipping. Similarly, you can introduce input noise when you turn the sensitivity all the way down like that. Leave your sensitivity at no lower than 10% and leave the Input Gain at the default neutral value. Otherwise, you're processing a signal with extreme signal-to-noise and that might be causing problems with the reverb, but that's just a guess.

Instead of mucking with the input settings, I would take the guitar and the input A/D out of the equation entirely. Use a synth block in front of the reverb to generate a tone.
I clip gained the recording in Pro Tools to get an audible level for the video demo. Any preset sounds perfectly fine at any setting without reverb.
As for the input gain and sensitivity all the way down: I wanted to try an extreme setting. At factory default settings and slightly lowered input gain/sensitivity the issue still occured. In fact, the glitching/artifacting didn't increase or reduce any. It just is present whatever I do, so as long as the Reverb block is engaged. It's really mindboggling.
I will try the synth block suggestion tommorow, thank you! That should be an interesting test.

I only have and have had the III. (First gen) have never heard this noise in my unit. Maybe you are right. I am also curious if this is as simple as a production failure. It could happen. I recently bought a coffee machine that make cold coffee... Hehehe
Cold coffee is not a bug but a feature in some places :p! But I feel your pain...

I understand, but if the Axe-FX output is inaudible, then you could have some artifacts due to low signal-to-noise when you boost it in the DAW to be audible, and those artifacts could be exacerbated by the reverb. Without knowing more details it's hard to say, but the fact is it doesn't serve any purpose to use those extreme settings, so I'd suggest using the values I mentioned above in your tests.
Yes, but it does not explain why that sound issue is coming from the headphone jack on the actual unit. The only way I can think of that happening is by using the monitoring feature in the daw so that the signal doubles up and therefore peaks. But as he stated (EDIT: page 2 on the thread), the issue is there even when not connected to the computer. Now I need to sleep, and think clearer in the morning. Hehe.

But I am with you on the boosting side. It surly does increase the signal to noise ratio as well as the guitar sound itself.

I Tryed your preset and can`t hear nothing like in your videos...

but i checkt the outputblock and the meters are every time in the red...mabee it`s the fault?

Edit: in your Video i can also hear that unwanted issue.
But can‘t reproduce in my Unit.🙃😔
Tried the preset with SG Standard (mid-hi output (498T @ 13.6k w input A/D sensitivity set to 50% (barely tickling input1 red) / no global eq). Like Leise, I'm also seeing levelling meters waay into the red and I see clipping on the front panel Output1 lights with medium strums and physical output1 knob on full. I can't hear the artifacts directly from Axefx but can hear it downstream in DAW via USB and from my interface connected via spdif (I can see the inputs on both of those being clipped)

No amp block with no fx can yield a very hot signal depending on the guitar + in this case the Reverb is added on to a line with no amp or fx, so even hotter.

Last edited:
I’m guessing you have the reverb set up incorrectly which is why you only hear this with it engaged. It needs to be set up properly to run parallel. Mute fx in, 100% wet then use the level to dial in amount. My guess anyway.

Maybe nothing, but I noticed that your clips are mono. Maybe something going on when it's collapse to mono?

What are your Output settings?

The preset sounds fine on my AxeFx III Mark II
Must be something wrong with your signal chain or your unit, I can definitely hear digital glitchiness in your video.

Happens even without anything connected except headphones.

I can hear a brief distortion at 30 secs into your video.
But I just tried your preset and it sounded perfect, and looked fine on the RTA. No problems at all here.

I noticed that if you have any fret buzz you will hear it clearly when playing though the Axe FX. My guess is that it is your guitar. Make sure your guitar is set up properly or try a different guitar.

Last edited:
I can hear a brief distortion at 30 secs into your video.
But I just tried your preset and it sounded perfect, and looked fine on the RTA. No problems at all here.

I noticed that if you have any fret buzz you will hear it clearly when playing though the Axe FX, (and maybe not hear it when playing through a real amp). My guess is that it is your guitar. Make sure your guitar is set up properly or try a different guitar.

There is nothing wrong with the reverb.
It happened straight out of the box on any stock preser. After tweaking the gains, same thing. Again; it only happens with reverb. If it was a clipping problem other presets/scenes without reverb engaged would have these issues but they don’t. It literally only occurs with reverb on.

Its not the guitar, nor the cable. Tried multiples and they sound fine on my old Axe FX 2 with reverbs engaged on that.

It’s a defect in my unit, I am afraid.

I am running out of options to think of. But glad there are people wanting to help. That is a big Pluss with this forum ♥️
But I find it hard to reason the issue. As I can tell by the back and forth in the comments, you have tried a lot. Have you tried the synth trick yet?

I thought I was. But a couple of gents here do hear it too and the RTA on the Axe FX and Fab Filter Pro Q3 in Pro Tools show visually that something is going on up there.

Thanks for your time, of course. Rock on :cool:.

I will if no one knows a fix.

I hear it on the non-reverb part of the clip as well 1 sec in is the most prominent. The reverb makes it clearly evident. The reverb will make any pop or click standout. The fact that the reverb is doing this probably means that the transients are generated by something before the reverb block and the reverb block is making in it way more noticeable. Like the difference between dropping an object in empty parking lot and dropping it a small room with hard surfaces.

@Kelvin You keep saying this happened straight out of the box, and that may be the case, but what we don't have is a DI sample of your guitar, which would help us narrow down whether it's an issue with your unit or something else. If you really think your unit is defective, then try reamping a DI sample from someone else through the preset in your unit and see if you get the same result. If others can reproduce your issue using your DI sample and you can't reproduce the issue with a DI sample from someone else, you can safely rule out a defective unit.

@Kelvin You keep saying this happened straight out of the box, and that may be the case, but what we don't have is a DI sample of your guitar, which would help us narrow down whether it's an issue with your unit or something else. If you really think your unit is defective, then try reamping a DI sample from someone else through the preset in your unit and see if you get the same result. If others can reproduce your issue using your DI sample and you can't reproduce the issue with a DI sample from someone else, you can safely rule out a defective unit.
I tried multiple guitars, multiple cables. My wireless. All give the same result. And I stress: my old Axe FX 2 doesn’t give these glitches.
I am running out of options to think of. But glad there are people wanting to help. That is a big Pluss with this forum ♥️
But I find it hard to reason the issue. As I can tell by the back and forth in the comments, you have tried a lot. Have you tried the synth trick yet?
Synth trick gives the same result. Nothing without reverb. Glitches with reverb.
The RTA pre reverb does not not show any info in the high frequencies. Place the RTA post reverb and they show up.

I am awaiting what Support thinks I should do.

I tried multiple guitars, multiple cables. My wireless. All give the same result. And I stress: my old Axe FX 2 doesn’t give these glitches.
Take your guitars and wireless out of the equation by reamping a DI sample of someone else's guitar through the offending preset and see if you get the same result. If you don't, then it's probably not the unit.

Last edited:
Take your guitars and wireless out of the equation by reamping a DI sample of someone else's guitar through the offending preset and see if you get the same result. If you don't, then it's probably not the unit.
Tried the synth block. Same issue. An old DI recording I had, that sounds fine on my old Axe 2. Same issue.

And to add: there is no ‘offending preset’. It’s on any preset that had a reverb engaged.

My guess is defective DRAM. Reverb uses lots of DRAM and if there's a bad bit(s) in the DRAM you'll get crackling. Contact support and they'll arrange to have your unit RMA'd.
Could that also be the culprit for similar crackling in the FM9? I'm having similar issues to the OP and was close to posting it here on the forum asking for help/opinions.

Glad @FractalAudio chipped in (pun intended) — was going to be my response as well since I just read this thread. Sounded like what used to happen with our Lex 480L when the memory board wasn’t fully seated.

Stuff like this (“infant mortality syndrome”) is why warranties exist. Rare in FractalWorld but it can happen. I’m sure you’ll be well taken care of. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom