Reverb.... How to get it dry?

OK... I have looked and cannot find it. Is there a Global reverb? Reason i am asking is what if I want just a dry sound?

Going through presets and I've turned of the Reverb and Delay pedals in the mix, but all the presets so far sound like there is some sort of reverberation going on. Is this just the nature of the CAB IR's? or is there a setting somewhere I can't find if I want to make it completely dry sounding?

there is no global reverb.

are you sending the AX8 to a mixer that has reverb on it?

are you sure the Reverb block is off?

Try the cab block in normal res setting. Ultra res is long enough that you might be hearing more reflections. Normal res is truncated so you might get more "dry sound" that way and you'll save a bit of CPU; the tradeoff is that the impulse will be less dynamic.

Try dialing in a little Motor Drive in the amp block, too. I like 4.5 as a starting point.

Try dialing in a little Motor Drive in the amp block, too. I like 4.5 as a starting point.
nice tip, but want to clarify this has nothing to do with a reverb sound. also, the Motor Drive was introduced in 7.02 Beta, so he might not have it. further, the Motor Drive is only available in the Amp Block on the AX8, not the Cab Block.

Yeah, I was thinking of it as a way to mitigate the change to normal res if that ended up being helpful. It may not help if there is something different going on altogether.

Are you hearing the springs from your trem system? Or the strings resonating on the other side of your nut? Would help if you could post a clip?

nope, reverb block is off. Not the strings resonating. I'll post an audio clip later this evening when I can get back to it. I am gonna try Improb_drivers suggestion. Running firmware Q8.02b

Also had a weird intermittent thing happen earlier where a box saying MID:4.62 popped up on the LCD of the AX8, it would flash up and disappear. I opened AX8 Edit and if the box popped up on the screen it would PAUSE the communication with the software. Couldn't figure out what was happening. Changed to another preset and it was still there. Rebooted the device...it popped up again a couple times then stopped. Absolutely weird weird weird. Minor note: everytime the MID; box popped up on the screenm the numbers varied 4.56, 5.25, 6.52 for example, not exactlt those numbers and a google search didn't get me anywhere.

OK here's a weird thing... Originally or normally I am just running the audio through my interface no DAW loaded. I fire up Cubase to make a recording of the reverberation I am heraring and it goes bone dry. Close Cubase and the reverberation comes back again. FFS!!! I looked in my interface mixer and sure enough theres a reverb effect on. I am so sorry guys... I feel like a dingy. All good now except for that MID thing keeps popping up on the AX LCD screen.

Anyone ever see the attached pop up? Keeps popping up on the LCD screen randomly and kills the communication with AX8 Edit. Just started today. So random..

Attachments

• IMG_2782.JPG
    IMG_2782.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 41
are you sending the AX8 to a mixer that has reverb on it?
I looked in my interface mixer and sure enough theres a reverb effect on.
this is as i suspected and questioned.

Anyone ever see the attached pop up? Keeps popping up on the LCD screen randomly and kills the communication with AX8 Edit. Just started today. So random..
that is your Mid knob turning, thus showing the values on screen as it changes. try turning it physically and see if that helps - perhaps it is stuck.

this is as i suspected and questioned.

that is your Mid knob turning, thus showing the values on screen as it changes. try turning it physically and see if that helps - perhaps it is stuck.

Thanks it may very well have been stuck. Keeping an eye on it now. All is well, and since sorting out my reverb issue. It sounds 100x better now!

I don't ever recall enabling reverb on the interface. Heck I don't think I've ever even opened the mixer at all before. LOL

Recording in to the DAW is having awesome results to. LOVING this thing already.

I've run into this too when I'm looking for a, "just an amp in the room in front of me" tone. There tends to be an additional 'space' around the tone that is... (ironically) more like a mic'd amp tone than just an amp sitting in front of me.

If this isn't what the o.p. is referring to, then I don't know what it is.

Honestly, most of the time it doesn't bother me. But when I got my AX8 two weeks ago, it was concerning. Since then, I've found enough live (non-studio) tones in it so that I'm not bothered - haven't really noticed it since then. I just chalked it up to the fact that the sound I'm hearing is indeed a simulation of a mic'd cap and not a simulation of an amp sitting in front of me. I'm guessing that this can lead to some of these secondary tones leaking through.

??

I've run into this too when I'm looking for a, "just an amp in the room in front of me" tone. There tends to be an additional 'space' around the tone that is... (ironically) more like a mic'd amp tone than just an amp sitting in front of me.
Assuming you are playing with an IR and FRFR, that is EXACTLY what you are hearing...you will never hear an amp in room (more accurately, a cab in the room) unless you have a real cab in the room.

Back
Top Bottom