Wish Reverb Hold Behavior

gdgross

Experienced
I do a lot of church music - the reverb hold feature is super handy when I'm trying to create a tiny bit of "atmosphere" esp with a smaller band and no synthesizers...

The way it works now is to hold the reverb sound at the current level, and any additional inputs to the reverb block are either ignored or come out dry (I'm not sure since I rout my reverbs 100% wet in parallel.)

Is it possible to have the inputs to the reverb block affected as well? Or does holding the reverb preclude them from being effected. Obv the reverb tail isn't decaying any longer when the hold function is enabled.

But it would be nice if the guitar sound itself didn't become 100% dry when engaging the reverb hold...suppose i could implement this when I step up to a FM9 with 2 reverb blocks and take care of this by bypassing one except when the hold is engaged...

Last edited:
But it would be nice if the guitar sound itself didn't become 100% dry when engaging the reverb hold...
I don't think this makes logical sense based on what Hold is doing.

Hold is running the algorithm effectively in an infinite loop with the output looped into the input. Thus the reverb algorithm is fully engaged on the repeating input/output cycle. It doesn't have additional resources to process dry input to generate an additional reverb signal - that would require another block (or block type).

If we allow 'wet' to come in (at 100%), that is Stack mode.

I do agree it would be cool to have some kind of Stack/Hold input gain (0-100%) plus decay time envelope (distinct from reverb time) that allows more control of stacking thus throttling the input signal and time constant of stacking.

I don't think this makes logical sense based on what Hold is doing.

Hold is running the algorithm effectively in an infinite loop with the output looped into the input. Thus the reverb algorithm is fully engaged on the repeating input/output cycle. It doesn't have additional resources to process dry input to generate an additional reverb signal - that would require another block (or block type).

If we allow 'wet' to come in (at 100%), that is Stack mode.

I do agree it would be cool to have some kind of Stack/Hold input gain (0-100%) plus decay time envelope (distinct from reverb time) that allows more control of stacking thus throttling the input signal and time constant of stacking.
Yeah, I understand the logic of what it does. Practically, I just don't like the all of the sudden dry tone 🙃

Yeah, I understand the logic of what it does. Practically, I just don't like the all of the sudden dry tone 🙃

Not sure if you came up with a fix but I was messing tonight and putting a reverb in parallel you can achieve it all using the same CC

So two reverb blocks with identical settings in parallel

For the HOLD reverb block
Set Bypass to the CC number
Bypass mode "mute in"
Set the HOLD function to the CC number
Min off Max hold

Now for the reverb block you will play over the freeze
Bypass set to the CC number
Bypass mode Mute out
Min Bypassed Max Engaged

Adjust the level on this block to suit

Hope it helps :)

Not sure if you came up with a fix but I was messing tonight and putting a reverb in parallel you can achieve it all using the same CC

So two reverb blocks with identical settings in parallel

For the HOLD reverb block
Set Bypass to the CC number
Bypass mode "mute in"
Set the HOLD function to the CC number
Min off Max hold

Now for the reverb block you will play over the freeze
Bypass set to the CC number
Bypass mode Mute out
Min Bypassed Max Engaged

Adjust the level on this block to suit

Hope it helps :)
The FM3 only has 1 Reverb block available.

What if you instead of holding used the same control to max out the reverb time? I have a preset I made for really washy ambient worship type sounds where I use both a north church and the helium shimmer in the plex block in parallel with the chrono echo delay. The plex block level, high cut, and length are on an expression pedal. The setup for the expression pedal is set up with a 1 second attack and a 6 second release which really smooths out the sounds and lets the shimmer fade in and out really nicely.

Well, thanks for all the thoughts guys. Since I posted this, I've moved on from the Fm3 to an FM9, with the two reverb blocks, this becomes a moot point. 🙃

Back
Top Bottom