Reverb Before Cab, or Vice-Versa?

Dick Dale did a Q&A after a show and I asked him how he sets up his reverb, and the King Of Surf Guitar said the only thing that was important is to put the reverb (he used a dedicated tube reverb unit) before the amp to get that surf-y goodness!!

If one was using an external Fender tank style reverb, and an amp without a loop, the only possible place you could put it would be in front. You can get a pretty authentic surf tone though from amps with the spring verb after the pre-amp though as well, so I've never noticed a huge difference, owning both an external tank, and plenty of amps with built in spring verbs. Some built in spring reverbs though had smaller physical springs so that did sound a little different. At least with cleaner tones doesn't matter where its in the chain, still gives a nice spring "sproing" sound when you mute the strings

Guys, this was asked and answered. I put it before the cab because I was splitting the signal to the FXL for an FRFR/Power Amp-Cab Setup. It was an illustration for this lesson. Usually I would always put the reverb after the cab for precisely the reason Cliff and others have cited. You collapse the verb to mono. As a direct to FOH in all situations guy, I always have reverb dead last live.

If one was using an external Fender tank style reverb, and an amp without a loop, the only possible place you could put it would be in front. You can get a pretty authentic surf tone though from amps with the spring verb after the pre-amp though as well, so I've never noticed a huge difference, owning both an external tank, and plenty of amps with built in spring verbs. Some built in spring reverbs though had smaller physical springs so that did sound a little different. At least with cleaner tones doesn't matter where its in the chain, still gives a nice spring "sproing" sound when you mute the strings

Yea, agreed...I just thought it was an interesting anecdote...

Back
Top Bottom