Reverb: A few questions / issues with the "Hold" function

Alabama man

Inspired
I've started to mess around with the reverb 'hold' feature to get some EHX Freeze action, but I'm having a few issues. I'm using my EV-1 to toggle it (heel down - off, toe down - on). When it reaches the transition point, going off to on, I will get this scratchy pot type sound that gets picked up along with the frozen note. I can get a note to hold without this sound, but I need to pick fairly lightly or let the note ring out for a few seconds before engaging 'hold'. It's pretty annoying and I'm wondering if there's a fix for this.

I tried it on both clean and dirty amps, but it will do it with either. I thought it was pickup hum initially, but it only happens when I strike the strings (If I don't hit anything and engage hold mode, there's no scratchy pot type sound being picked up and carried by the hold function). I'm not so sure it's string buzz either.

Any ideas?

Other question:

Is there any way to make the first hold note not die out before transitioning to a new hold note? I'm trying to replicate what my EHX Freeze does - setting the foot switch for latching, freezing a note, hit another note and tapping the foot switch to change into the new frozen note seamlessly. When I go to heel down to prepare for a new hold note, there's dead space (hold note dies out for those few seconds before I go into another hold note).

Thanks!

(Using an Axe II XL w/ 3.02, MFC mk III, Fractal EV-1 expression, Blue Mofi headphones)

Let me begin by saying I've not used the EHX Freeze, so take my lame advice with eyes open. :)

I have tried to replicate similar functionality. Specifically, I had a gig where we were covering "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey, and I was trying to replicate the way the last three notes of the solo split into harmony. I wanted to freeze the first note and play two more above it while it held.

I tried reverb hold, but didn't do what I wanted. So I used a separate delay -- digital mono (IIRC), mix turned way up, and set the MFC to activate the hold function on the delay. It worked great, but required some practice to coordinate.

Maybe a delay hold would be a better option to mimick the Freeze?

Let me begin by saying I've not used the EHX Freeze, so take my lame advice with eyes open. :)

I have tried to replicate similar functionality. Specifically, I had a gig where we were covering "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey, and I was trying to replicate the way the last three notes of the solo split into harmony. I wanted to freeze the first note and play two more above it while it held.

I tried reverb hold, but didn't do what I wanted. So I used a separate delay -- digital mono (IIRC), mix turned way up, and set the MFC to activate the hold function on the delay. It worked great, but required some practice to coordinate.

Maybe a delay hold would be a better option to mimick the Freeze?

Thanks for the tips! Someone shared a Simeon preset last night and I loaded it up - it's definitely a huge step in the right direction. I've uploaded it in case you're interested in trying it out.

Still, I would like to find a solution to this weird artifact being picked up when using the reverb hold. I'm hoping there's something to it that I'm not realizing.

Cheers

Attachments

• Infinite Reverb EXT1.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom