Revelation about speaker cabs...

Been contemplating that 212 bogner cab from OH, be interested in your thoughts on the tones once you've had a chance to kick the tires on it.

I really like the 1x12 Bogner Shiva cab in Buddy's boutique Cab Pack #17, it pairs nicely with the shiver clean, euro blue, and CA OD-2 models I've found for clean and dirty tones.

It's really, really good. And, I love the new VXT open back one, as well. Works for a wide variety of amp models and styles.

Also, Buddy's Boutique remains one of the stand-out FAS cab packs. Lots of nice cabs shot for that one.

Agreed. A great cab pack. Kevin does excellent work.

Allan's signal chain is fairly complicated, so to reproduce that may just require a very different approach. But, I fell in love with the cabs I had that contained Gold speakers (one was an open back combo, and the other was a ported, pine 1x12), and Kevin nailed it with both the Bogner and the VXT.

Last edited:
what are your current faves?

There's some good stuff in Cab Pack 17, 10, and 21. IRs I find myself returning to a lot are the 1x shiva and bludo, and the 2x two rock from CP 17, the 2x buzzbomb in CP 10, and the 2x12 divided-by-13 in CP 6. I think CP 17 is the hands down best to me.

Some of the Bludo ir's in CP17 are fantastic. Even when paired with Euro Blue or the Shiva. They give a different but very cool flavor compared to the Bog & Shiva cabs.

Some of the Bludo ir's in CP17 are fantastic. Even when paired with Euro Blue or the Shiva. They give a different but very cool flavor compared to the Bog & Shiva cabs.

for what style of music? I find that many of the presets and speaker irs seem to be tuned towards folks doing metal and djent and not a lot of stuff made for folks who play clean or fusion.

This is for clean to light breakup thru to heavy blues along the lines of Voodoo Chile.
This cab pack I'd say excels on touch sensitivity and using the vol on your guitar to go anywhere from clean to heavy blues & everything in between.
One thing I noticed is that with the Dumble, Bludo and Wrecker when you have a nice gain setup the sustain is endless right into effortless controlled feedback.. Rather cool.
I'm personally gravitating towards the multiple mic setup ir's.
I never had any real luck with the stock IR's with these amps. And nothing really jumped out at me using CP's 19,20 or the 5150 pack, but those are geared more towards the metal, which they do killer. I have used the ENGL ir's for more than metal, that's a great cab pack fwiw. :)

when you say "this" you mean cp17?

This is for clean to light breakup thru to heavy blues along the lines of Voodoo Chile.
This cab pack I'd say excels on touch sensitivity and using the vol on your guitar to go anywhere from clean to heavy blues & everything in between.
One thing I noticed is that with the Dumble, Bludo and Wrecker when you have a nice gain setup the sustain is endless right into effortless controlled feedback.. Rather cool.
I'm personally gravitating towards the multiple mic setup ir's.
I never had any real luck with the stock IR's with these amps. And nothing really jumped out at me using CP's 19,20 or the 5150 pack, but those are geared more towards the metal, which they do killer. I have used the ENGL ir's for more than metal, that's a great cab pack fwiw. :)

To me Buddy's Boutique cab pack is all about the more jazzy fusiony bluesy roots rocky end of the spectrum. It's 1x and 2x oval port and closed back and d-style cabs. It most definitely will not djent ;)

I play mostly lower gain rock/blues/jazz type stuff (none of it expressly well of course, but that's my preferred tonal palette anyways ;) )

I find the Euro Blue (non modern) and Shiva Clean models are excellent for clean bassy full body jazz tones, the blue can be clean or dirty and cleans up with the volume knob wonderfully, the Shiva Clean is all about huge full clean sounds with a lot of head room (I've never bonded with the Shiver lead myself, can't speak to that one). I think the Carol-Ann (love the OD-2 and the Tucana) amps are excellent for non metally tones, to me they kind of occupy an interesting place that's somewhat d-style and somewhat Brit crunch, w/ more gain on tap if needed.

I don't use the factory presets much myself, but out of the 300+ I felt there was a fairly decent cross section of clean and edge of breakup tones, amongst some more high gain metal fairs, and then all the "see the cool wacky things you can do with the effects!" type presets... at least that was my read on them when I quickly went through the the batch when I first got the afx. I think factory presets are always just about showing off the capabilities of the unit to the biggest cross section of the buying public as possible really.

ok, i bought buddy's boutique, cab pack 17 and so far i'm not too impressed but it could be I just picked the wrong variation. I'll typically pick the cone edge, SM-57 but to me , the 2x12 bludo and asw cabs sound very dark and nasally. I did like it with the dumble amp set for a medium amount of overdrive but when I auditioned it for clean it sounded bad.

Start a preset from scratch. Reset amp block parameters. Other cabs (other IRs, for that matter) may sound off once a preset is dialed in using a different one.

OK, so I figured out I was doing something completely wrong in my amp building with axefx. I had picked out a cabinet that sounded good for my clean: 021 — 2x12 DOUBLE VERB R121

I had been using this cabinet for almost every amp with the exeption of the 011 — 1x12 BLUDO MIX which I was using for dumble/holdsworth tones.

However, i am now realizing that these speakers are terrible for roots rock, country and vox/matchless type .

And on a related note, does anyone of IRs of the EV SRO 12" speakers, the JBL K-120 and EV 12L cabs in open back configuration?

Hi Jack

As I think you know, I've been using EVM-12Ls exclusively since the 80s.
The main reasons are that I work with 1 X 12 cabs since anything larger is not practical for the types of gigs I do.
A single 12L, with its high sensitivity, will be louder, watt per watt, than any other single 12" speaker.
The 12L also has a better bass response than any other 12" driver and I often play with a very dark tone at quite loud (for jazz anyway) volumes.
So the 12L is the only speaker that suits my needs.
I don't play many R&B or roots rock gigs anymore but when I did a lot of name players at the time were also using 12Ls since they came stock with Mesa amps.
But I realise that there are better drivers out there for these styles.

Now, with the Axe, I still haven't gone FRFR for live playing.
I use 1 or 2 open back cabs with 12Ls being driven by a ss power amp (sometimes a Bryston 2B LP, sometimes a Matrix GT1000) with cab sims off.
The main reason for this is because I have yet to find any IRs, and I've tried tons, that sound as good to me as my real cabs.

My main focus in the FRFR realm has been to find a good enough IR that I can use with a Global Cab Block across all my Presets on gigs where there's a PA, so we don't have to futz with mic'ing my cabs.
I also go FRFR when recording at home using these same Presets.
So, I try to use an IR that comes close to what my real cabs sound like mic'd.
I've gotten pretty close over the years but it's still not all the way.

One of the main issues I've come across is that, unlike with my real cabs, it's quite hard to find a single IR or instance of the Cab Block that works well for both clean tones and gainier tones.
Gainier tones almost always require at the least some different settings of the Hi and Low cuts in the Cab Block and since I want a single Global Cab Block for everything (yes, I'm a control freak) this won't do.
You seem to be bumping up against similar issues.

FWIW
The closest I've come to my own ideal IR, so far, is the EVM12L - KM84 CapEdge - 3" IR.
This is from the Redwirez SpeakerBox (an open back 1 X 12 mahogany cab) EVM-12L Collection.
This may be the same IR that Cliff based the stock cab F008 on.
But F008 is too dark and boxy for my needs and also requires more Hi cut.
They may have stopped marketing this collection, but I think you can still find it if you look hard enough in their web site.
Of the 12L IRs that are out there, this RW package is probably the best IMO.
Most of them are too short to benefit from UltraRes processing but a few of them *are* long enough for UR.
The Ownhammer Thiele Cab 12L IRs are pretty good too but I couldn't find one (or a mix) that works well across all my Presets.

Just my $0.02.

Sounds like you're mostly in FRFR world with the Axe.
Good luck on your tone quest(s).

ok, i bought buddy's boutique, cab pack 17 and so far i'm not too impressed but it could be I just picked the wrong variation. I'll typically pick the cone edge, SM-57 but to me , the 2x12 bludo and asw cabs sound very dark and nasally. I did like it with the dumble amp set for a medium amount of overdrive but when I auditioned it for clean it sounded bad.
Load up the IR's in Buddy's Mixes.
The Bludo 4 & 5 mic IR's are good and the Bludo Mix EK's are as well. Most of the IR's in that folder, to me, are not nearly as nasally.
Pair those up with Blodojai LD1, Wrecker Express & (I haven't yet tried but I'm sure will work well) the Fuchs. I'm working on the Ruby Rocket right now. Try out the Carol Ann as well..

Edit: The Nuclear-Tone works fantastic as well as the Fox ODS. With fairly minimal tone tweaking.
I found after I got the gain about where I wanted the most useful parameters were the Bass Cut switch & then on the Dynamics page the Preamp dynamics & Dynamic presence and on the Preamp page the Definition & Harmonics. Mess around with those and you can dial in nice smooth highs & dial out that nasally annoying high end.
:)

Last edited:
Jack, have you try this free two rock tonic cab? Good for clean

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68223892/Two%20Rock%202x12.rar

Back
Top Bottom