Returning from the Kemper swamp - back to the Axe!

jaycroft97

Inspired
Hey guys, I was previously a Fractal user. I had the Axe FX II back in 2012 and I owned an Ultra before that. I ended up going the Kemper route because I was looking for more of a plug and play experience and was tweaking more than writing music. I ended up selling my Kemper this year and went back to a tube rig. I have a Revv Generator 120 and a Two-Notes Torpedo studio for recording. I will tell you that this amp is amazing and I would love to see Fractal model it in a future update.This tube amp cost me a pretty penny and is pretty customized, so I don't want to take it out of my recording setup. I bought a new Axe-Fx II XL + and MFC 101 so I could take a rig out for rehearsals and for recording different tones. Plus, I felt it was more cost-effective to invest in the Axe again than build out some crazy pedal board and do a bunch of pedal dancing. I just got everything going last night and I just didn't want to stop playing. I haven't even made my way through all the presets. One thing I'm definitely going to do is import my Celestion plus IR's, specifically the Creambacks. using them with my Revv 120 / Torpedo Studio setup is a match made in heaven for me. I have to imagine those IR's will open up a whole new tone library for me once I start making my own patches. I'm also hoping to do some tone-matching with the Rev 120 and sharing it with you guys.

Hey guys, I was previously a Fractal user. I had the Axe FX II back in 2012 and I owned an Ultra before that. I ended up going the Kemper route because I was looking for more of a plug and play experience and was tweaking more than writing music. I ended up selling my Kemper this year and went back to a tube rig. I have a Revv Generator 120 and a Two-Notes Torpedo studio for recording. I will tell you that this amp is amazing and I would love to see Fractal model it in a future update.This tube amp cost me a pretty penny and is pretty customized, so I don't want to take it out of my recording setup. I bought a new Axe-Fx II XL + and MFC 101 so I could take a rig out for rehearsals and for recording different tones. Plus, I felt it was more cost-effective to invest in the Axe again than build out some crazy pedal board and do a bunch of pedal dancing. I just got everything going last night and I just didn't want to stop playing. I haven't even made my way through all the presets. One thing I'm definitely going to do is import my Celestion plus IR's, specifically the Creambacks. using them with my Revv 120 / Torpedo Studio setup is a match made in heaven for me. I have to imagine those IR's will open up a whole new tone library for me once I start making my own patches. I'm also hoping to do some tone-matching with the Rev 120 and sharing it with you guys.
WELCOME BACK! There are so many great IRs being created now, many by folk who got their start here, but those Celestions are turning out be pretty effective across modeling platforms...

I agree. The Kemper just doesn't have the ability to process ir's like the axe-fx, not to mention the superior effects in the axe. I almost went for the Kemper, but went for the Ultra instead, so just imagine how much better the II is.

Almost bought a Kemper till I saw the B-stock deals on the 2XL+. Glad I went with Axe. The fx are awesome.

I can understand how KPA and Fractal are each other's closest competitors but how having a unit from either means needing to side with that manufacturer is beyond me. To me, the harder the two compete on feats and price, the more of a feast it is for us users.

I actually really enjoyed my Kemper and some of the profiles I had accumulated were great. For me, the pick attack was just a big thing for me. I'm finding that the Axe-Fx is just way more life-like in that way. I had my Revv going through my torpedo studio and into my interface the other night and I was doing some comparisons with the Axe-Fx and I was like, "Damn, they both sound great." I'm not going to waste time ripping the Kemper because I recorded and released 3 songs with it, but unless you profile your own amps, no profile is actually your sound. A Diezel profile recorded with an ESP and set of EMG's aren't necessarily going to translate as well to someone like me playing a Les Paul with Rebel Yell's. I feel going back the Axe gives me more control of my sound going forward. Anyways, I look forward to connecting with more people on the forum and learning more about what everyone is doing with the Axe-Fx!

WELCOME BACK! There are so many great IRs being created now, many by folk who got their start here, but those Celestions are turning out be pretty effective across modeling platforms...
Yes, so far the Celestion's are working out well. I haven't tried too many of the Ownhammer IR's I've purchased, so I still need to import and try some of those.

Welcome back. I have both myself along with the AX8. While the Kemper is great I prefer my Fractal gear. My Axe stays at home and I gig with the AX8. The Kemper never gets used but it isn't going anywhere either.

what's the reason you sold the KEMPER?
i am thinking to go the exact opposite route, sel my AXE FX II and buy a KEMPER.

it would be for recording@home only btw

Welcome back. I have both myself along with the AX8. While the Kemper is great I prefer my Fractal gear. My Axe stays at home and I gig with the AX8. The Kemper never gets used but it isn't going anywhere either.
Same here...It's nice to know that even though I seldom use it , Kempers nice to have around.....like my toaster.......

Back
Top Bottom