return midi data to controller issue ...Axe XL

racetra

Inspired
Hey,
I finally got my XL un boxed a week later and got it hooked up in the 4cm with my blackstar. I am also using LF+ Pro+ controller. It worked fine with my Axe ll but with the XL it acts like i am not getting the return midi data.
Is there an on/off switch for the out and thru function kinda like the thru on the axe ll? I couldnt find one.

How many MIDI cables, which ports?

Have you checked if there's a setting for XL vs. non-XL on the LF? Maybe requiring a firmware update, depending on how old your current LF firmware is.

Hey Bman, set up is as follows
From LF midi out
To LF juction box
Out of box to Axe midi in
Axe midi out back to LF box in (for 2 way data)
Axe thru to blackstar (this works fine)

I am lookin for any updates on firmware.

Might be a silly question.

Everything transmitting on the same correct channels? Are you sending PC or CC messages through your LF controller

edit:

Swapped cables etc. As well?

It was working fine with the axe ll. I hooked up the axe ll XL and now its not workin. Its weird. The tap tempo light is flashing the same on both but its not syncing completely. Its not displaying the names of the patches.

The XL has a different Sysex ID. There must be something in the LF that selects the type of unit so that it can know the ID.

Hey,
I finally got my XL un boxed a week later and got it hooked up in the 4cm with my blackstar. I am also using LF+ Pro+ controller. It worked fine with my Axe ll but with the XL it acts like i am not getting the return midi data.
Is there an on/off switch for the out and thru function kinda like the thru on the axe ll? I couldnt find one.

Hey Tracy I replied to your PM. You need to select the XL in the LF+ MIDI channel.

It's in the wiki http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=FAMC_Liquid_Foot+#How_To_Setup_LF.2B_and_Axe-Fx_II_Realtime_Sync

Click Settings tab > Main Global Settings
  • Under MIDI Channel Device Configuration:
    • Select the correct Axe-Fx II Model:
      • AXE-FX II = Mark I and II
      • Once Selected the Channel Name will show:
        • AXE-FX II = AXE-FX2
        • AXE-FX II XL = AXE-FXXL
        • AXE-FX II XL+ = AXE-FXX+
Hope that helps

The problem is the return midi cable you have connected, that hasn't been required for about 4 years.

You don't need one, and it is confusing the hell out of the LF.

LF midi out, to the box, and the box into the Axe FX. Then the axe Fx Midi out to your amp.

In the Settings tab of the LF editor, you should change the device from a II, to an XL.

The problem is the return midi cable you have connected, that hasn't been required for about 4 years.

You don't need one, and it is confusing the hell out of the LF.

LF midi out, to the box, and the box into the Axe FX. Then the axe Fx Midi out to your amp.

In the Settings tab of the LF editor, you should change the device from a II, to an XL.
Huh, thats what it needed to work with the axe ll. If that is the case, i wouldnt need the box right. Its for the two way data

Another possibility is your midi cable isn't a true 5 pin.
Some cables are constructed with the industry standard 5 pin connectors but only 3 of those pins are actually connected to the wires. These '3' pin types will pass basic midi data but not pass everything needed for some devices...

Usually it is the two outside pins that are left unused so check continuity with a multi meter.

If you are using the junction box to provide phantom power to the LF pedal, you still only need to connect the LF pedal to the box with a 7-pin midi cable.

Then, connect the output of the box to the midi in of the Axe FX with a 5-pin cable.

You should still be able to query the Axe FX for effect off/on and preset name.

No 2nd midi cable between the axe fx and the LF foot should be necessary.

If you are using the junction box to provide phantom power to the LF pedal, you still only need to connect the LF pedal to the box with a 7-pin midi cable.

Then, connect the output of the box to the midi in of the Axe FX with a 5-pin cable.

You should still be able to query the Axe FX for effect off/on and preset name.

No 2nd midi cable between the axe fx and the LF foot should be necessary.

The LF Phantom power box has a 7 pin MIDI port that connects to the LF MIDI OUT and sends power and is a bidirectional MIDI port. On the other side of the box it has a MIDI IN and OUT but does not have a bidirectional MIDI IN\OUT, so the MIDI IN and OUT only use 3 pins.

The LF channel needs to be changed from the original AXE-FX2 to either the AXE-FXXL or AXE-FXX+ but Tracy doesn't mention if he has a XL or XL+.

Here's how to change the channel from the LF+ Editor:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...Model_To_Control_-_Mark_I.2FII.2C_XL.2C_XL.2B

The 7pin MIDI cable needs to go from the Phantom box to the LF MIDI OUT.

The Phantom box MIDI OUT needs to go to the Blackstar amp.

The Blackstar MIDI THRU needs to go to the Axe-Fx II MIDI IN

The Axe-Fx II MIDI OUT needs to go to the Phantom box MIDI IN

MIDI THRU needs to be disabled in the Axe-Fx II and LF+

Back
Top Bottom