Retro looking AX FX III - Gator seafoam green picts

Very nice! The only problem I would have is that I would want a cover for the front when transporting to an from gigs.
Looks like the black one is not deep enough to put a front panel on. The green one however looks perfect for the AxeFx … although im not a fan of the color ;). I guess if I owned a real Zilla cab it would be great as is ;).

Very nice! The only problem I would have is that I would want a cover for the front when transporting to and from gigs.

I built it just for home use, but I think it would be pretty easy to make it like an inch deeper and add a little lip with some Velcro for sticking on a cover panel, maybe with some grill cloth, or do it with a little hinge or something.

That is what is kind of nice with DIY, you pick how deep you want it, you pick how recessed you want the rails, you pick how tall, what color corner protectors etc

You can Tolex it fender colors, or use Marshall textured stuff, Boogie etc. you could buy nicer boards and stain them a color of your choice etc

Lots of freedom as at its core it’s just a box without a front or back so about the easiest thing out there to built

FYI I can DIY a rack case pretty easily for about $10 to in wood, $10 in hardware and like $10-15 in Tolex

I built this as a 5u without any fancy tools other than an electric drill for starting wood screw holes. Had Home Depot cut the boards. Used wood glue for the Tolex.

View attachment 68543

Not to say the turn key is a bad product but the cost seems rather high to me for basically a Tolex covered wood box
I don’t think it is any secret that they’re not difficult to make for someone with the tools. skills, time, access to materials/parts.... but not everyone has all that sh*t. The time alone is worth it to me, I don’t have any kind of tools or skills, either. :D

These Gator cases are cool looking and moderately priced, IMHO. Lots of things cost next to nothing if you only consider cost of materials. I could build you a power amp from about $30 in parts... Just about anything is a small matter of implementation when it comes down to it.

Outfitting a wood working setup to build that kind of stuff at that level of polish probably costs thousands so there’s that, some people don’t even have a house much less a garage or home workshop, etc...

Last edited:
Looks like the black one is not deep enough to put a front panel on. The green one however looks perfect for the AxeFx … although im not a fan of the color ;). I guess if I owned a real Zilla cab it would be great as is ;).
The color has no bearing on the dimensions. They’re the same size.

Those cases look great! Nicely done! I had considered these previously and am sorry that I didn't get one in the first place. I have the SKB roto short racks but the top on it continually sags on both my Axe III and my Waza TAE....Also, I hate the latches on them. I'd rather get a pair of these for both units.

I really like how these look. Love the kickstand underneath as well!

One can easily build a small panel for the back with a couple of 1/2” pieces on the top and bottom with Velcro mounted. Can add some nice matching grill cloth and the rear would be nicely covered. It would be a nice little project. Going to order! Will post it up when completed!

Last edited:
Very nice! The only problem I would have is that I would want a cover for the front when transporting to and from gigs.
I got a friend that can sew up one of those soft vinyl slip covers - good idea thanks for the inspiration!

Those cases look great! Nicely done! I had considered these previously and am sorry that I didn't get one in the first place. I have the SKB roto short racks but the top on it continually sags on both my Axe III and my Waza TAE....Also, I hate the latches on them. I'd rather get a pair of these for both units.

I really like how these look. Love the kickstand underneath as well!

One can easily build a small panel for the back with a couple of 1/2” pieces on the top and bottom with Velcro mounted. Can add some nice matching grill cloth and the rear would be nicely covered. It would be a nice little project. Going to order! Will post it up when completed!
Maybe Gator would sell a second cover.

Maybe Gator would sell a second cover.

I doubt it. These are probably put together as units. By the time they would be able to get me one, I would have done our first return gig form Covid. LOL. Much easier for me to make one instead.

I doubt it. These are probably put together as units. By the time they would be able to get me one, I would have done our first return gig form Covid. LOL. Much easier for me to make one instead.
Literally super easy to make anyway.

I just picked up a 3-space off CL. $100, almost brand new. Definitely pretty cool! It will house my power amp & in-ears. Now just waiting on my FM3 email.......

FYI I can DIY a rack case pretty easily for about $10 to in wood, $10 in hardware and like $10-15 in Tolex

I built this as a 5u without any fancy tools other than an electric drill for starting wood screw holes. Had Home Depot cut the boards. Used wood glue for the Tolex.

View attachment 68543

Not to say the turn key is a bad product but the cost seems rather high to me for basically a Tolex covered wood box
This is cool, but doing some DIY research, its going to cost me
The green one is easily deep enough to put a cover on the back. I really dug it because it looks very retro. And with the grill on the front, people assume it just Has to be a tube amp.
If you’re going to listen with your eyes before your ears, this is pretty cool :)

Last edited:
I've always wanted something like thi, but with a knob panel to control the amp's settings. Looks slick tho

Case at home on top of my cab. In-ears & GK in place. When my FM3 arrives, the GK will be replaced by a Peavey IPR2-2K. An AF3 would fit this case perfectly.IMG_20200608_164542.jpgIMG_20200608_164530.jpgIMG_20200608_164254.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone is going to think it’s a tube amp.... or should I say more specially, the 99% of people who have no idea what a tube amp is will not even be looking at it, and the 1% of guitarist in the audience who do look at it will know it’s a 19” rack case with a piece of grill cloth on it ;)

I don’t think anyone is going to think it’s a tube amp.... or should I say more specially, the 99% of people who have no idea what a tube amp is will not even be looking at it, and the 1% of guitarist in the audience who do look at it will know it’s a 19” rack case with a piece of grill cloth on it ;)

Agreed. But I bought it because it's a nice looking rack that is different than my SKB. It has a cool vibe to it. (IMO) And my GK has 3 tubes in it......:p

Back
Top Bottom