Restore v13 system backup (only) onto Axe III running v14?

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
I'm running firmware 14. In my excitement today over getting the wiring in my humbucker guitar working right again, I changed the two Input 1 settings in Setup > I/O, forgetting that I didn't have a v14 backup.

Going back to the strat I've been playing for months, I'd like to see what I had in those two settings for that guitar. There shouldn't be any other system settings differences between my latest v13 backup and my current settings.

Is it safe to restore my last v13 backup onto my Axe running v14?
FractalBor says no, make sure you're running the same firmware as the backup you're restoring from.

Is there any way to just see what those two settings are in that backup without restoring it?

I'm running firmware 14. In my excitement today over getting the wiring in my humbucker guitar working right again, I changed the two Input 1 settings in Setup > I/O, forgetting that I didn't have a v14 backup.

Going back to the strat I've been playing for months, I'd like to see what I had in those two settings for that guitar. There shouldn't be any other system settings differences between my latest v13 backup and my current settings.

Is it safe to restore my last v13 backup onto my Axe running v14?
FractalBor says no, make sure you're running the same firmware as the backup you're restoring from.

Is there any way to just see what those two settings are in that backup without restoring it?
You can't do that. The system backup needs to match the firmware so you would need to reinstall the last version of 13 you had first.

Yeah, that;s what FractalBot says.

What'll happen if I do it anyway?
Will it make a mess that can't be fixed by restoring the v14 backup I just made?
Will is still show me what those two settings were, then I'll restore the v14 backup?
Is there any other way to see what those settings are in that file, short of restoring from it?

Yeah, that;s what FractalBot says.

What'll happen if I do it anyway?
Will it make a mess that can't be fixed by restoring the v14 backup I just made?
Will is still show me what those two settings were, then I'll restore the v14 backup?
Is there any other way to see what those settings are in that file, short of restoring from it?
I don't think it will allow you to do it even if you wanted too.

Take a backup of your system settings and presets as they are now (as a CYA).

Load FW13.

Restore ONLY your system settings from your FW13 backup.

Load FW14.

Done.

Firmware doesn't change presets.

But if it did, you've got a backup (see the 1st step I listed).
Well sometimes it does, doesn't it? Like when there are new parameters, or new values for existing ones?

And yes I know I'd have a backup, just did one. Question is, would I have to actually restore it after the 14, 13, 14 round trip?

Well sometimes it does, doesn't it? Like when there are new parameters, or new values for existing ones?

And yes I know I'd have a backup, just did one. Question is, would I have to actually restore it after the 14, 13, 14 round trip?
No, you should not.

Just be aware that while FW13 is loaded any presets you have saved under 14 will appear "blank" until you load 14 again.

R e a l l y dumb question.

I have backups labelled 13.01 and 13.03, but I can't find any v13 firmware files, on my machine, or on archive.axefx.fr.

I don't remember the details for version numbers, but I think there was at least one defective release that got pulled, and I also think I did change my global i/o gain settings semi-recently, when Input 1 Gain was added, because my strat is pretty low output.

Upshot is that I actually would like to see what my most recent settings were, and that's for 13.03.

Where the heck is that firmware?

R e a l l y dumb question.

I have backups labelled 13.01 and 13.03, but I can't find any v13 firmware files, on my machine, or on archive.axefx.fr.

I don't remember the details for version numbers, but I think there was at least one defective release that got pulled, and I also think I did change my global i/o gain settings semi-recently, when Input 1 Gain was added, because my strat is pretty low output.

Upshot is that I actually would like to see what my most recent settings were, and that's for 13.03.

Where the heck is that firmware?

I have them archived. You can download them here.

Back
Top Bottom