Respect the Low End

Back to the topic at hand,

More of everything would be great, as we all agree. Is there a higher chance of amps or cabs coming first? I was surprised to find the only 810 was the svt classic in the legacy section. I need to double check, but I dont think there is the orange 410. My last band has the fender neo 810 and it was a pleasure - wouldnt mind having that either.

And I explained that all I knew was their guitar equipment lol. I have played a bit of bass before, but this year I'm aiming to take it a little more seriously. I expect to not know most things about bass equipment and styles - so far I'm correct!

I was saying "if all you know" is - I wasn't accusing you of not knowing things. Clearly you're a bassist with a lot of experience with different equipment. You completely misunderstood what I was trying to say. "If you've only seen cheap equipment and don't know their artists, what other opinion would you have of a company?" would have worked better.

I wasn't being an ass either, but you went there.

Where in my post did I tell any other musician what they should play? Relax, go play bass.

Gotcha brother. All is well. :cool:

Can you recommend a great new Hartke System for all around pop, funk and rock style?.....or non-Hartke System

I would use the LH1000 head with a HyDrive 410 cab. That's what Victor Wooten uses to get his super clean funk tones. Personally I use Ampeg and EVH gear.

Wow, same page indeed. Periphery’s P4 was the first album I got by them and almost immediately I started watching Nolly’s vids on getting his bass tone. Too funny. If you get a minute, would you mind sharing that preset? I’d LOVE to check it out.

I’ve been considering getting a fanned fret 5-string lately as I’ve had a hell of a time getting my low B (more so, low A when I drop it down) to actually have a usable tone to it. I’ve got a Warwick 5-string and went through 4-5 packs of strings in the last 2 months just trying different gauges out. Just this last weekend I decided to go in the opposite direction, I got some DR Lo-Riders 35-120, immediately my low B came to life. I switch between standard and drop-C tuning quite a bit, even though the strings are a lighter gauge, I’m guessing the hex-core is providing enough tension that I can actually tune the bass to ACGCF from standard and it still sounds killer.

I attached the presets that Nolly uses. Keep in mind that he also uses an external Cali76 compressor and Darkglass B7K to tighten up his tone and attack.

Have you tried the Kalium/Circle K strings? That's what comes standard on the Dingwalls and its what Nolly uses to get his heavy low tones. I normally play with Dean Markley Blue Steels with a 128 "B" string and get really good tone. I'm considering trying the DR Black Beautys since Geezer Butler uses them and really likes the low end tone. The "B" string is a 130.

Attachments

• p001013_Nolly5150Lead.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 24
  • p001014_Nolly5150Rhythm.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 19
  • p001015_NollySmackyBass.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 23
Back to the topic at hand,

More of everything would be great, as we all agree. Is there a higher chance of amps or cabs coming first? I was surprised to find the only 810 was the svt classic in the legacy section. I need to double check, but I dont think there is the orange 410. My last band has the fender neo 810 and it was a pleasure - wouldnt mind having that either.

Yes we definitely need an IR for the SVT-810AV "Heritage" cab. With the Eminence speakers it has a brighter tone with more clarity.

I attached the presets that Nolly uses. Keep in mind that he also uses an external Cali76 compressor and Darkglass B7K to tighten up his tone and attack.

Have you tried the Kalium/Circle K strings? That's what comes standard on the Dingwalls and its what Nolly uses to get his heavy low tones. I normally play with Dean Markley Blue Steels with a 128 "B" string and get really good tone. I'm considering trying the DR Black Beautys since Geezer Butler uses them and really likes the low end tone. The "B" string is a 130.

Thanks, dude!!!!!

I haven’t tried either of those yet. I’m going to do some tracking in the next few days to see how the strings sit in the mix. They’re bright, but I’ve heard a lot of reviews saying they tame after a couple hours of play time. I went up to a .150 with NYXL’s for my B-string and it was just a pitch, there was none of the actual tone present that every other string had. It could have been a 50 year old bass string and it would have sounded the same. I’m really surprised that a .120 is actually pulling it off as well as it is. The Warwick has an adjustable nut to raise/lower the strings, when I dropped it down to ACGCF I got some expected string buzz, but half a turn on the nut screws and I was good to go. It’s one of the Streamers, made in China, I got it for $350 at a Guitar Center and couldn’t be happier with it. It’s got that really round tone, sounds like big, fat bubbles. :D

Why not use the axefx's b7k?

Why not use the axefx's b7k?

Good question. Not sure why he chose to use an external B7K but for some reason I'm thinking that when he made that particular vid giving his rig rundown it was on an AXE FX II and I don't think the B7K was in the II. Just speculating.

Is there already a wish in the III section for bass amps and cabs? I feel like it should be bumped and/or added to.

I agree. For me I would like to have the Ampeg 810 "Heritage" cab and a couple of compressors like the Cali76 and the Effectrode LA-1A. Other than that Fractal has me covered.

Thanks, dude!!!!!

I haven’t tried either of those yet. I’m going to do some tracking in the next few days to see how the strings sit in the mix. They’re bright, but I’ve heard a lot of reviews saying they tame after a couple hours of play time. I went up to a .150 with NYXL’s for my B-string and it was just a pitch, there was none of the actual tone present that every other string had. It could have been a 50 year old bass string and it would have sounded the same. I’m really surprised that a .120 is actually pulling it off as well as it is. The Warwick has an adjustable nut to raise/lower the strings, when I dropped it down to ACGCF I got some expected string buzz, but half a turn on the nut screws and I was good to go. It’s one of the Streamers, made in China, I got it for $350 at a Guitar Center and couldn’t be happier with it. It’s got that really round tone, sounds like big, fat bubbles. :D

Holy crap!! A 150??? That's a damn tree trunk. :D Pretty surprised you're getting a good B tone with a 120. Seems they would have too much tension to vibrate enough for a B tone. May have to investigate that. I really like the 128-130 range myself.

I did a search and didn't find a specific "Wish" list for bass gear so I started one here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/bass-gear.158892/

It may be because this discussion was initiated back in Jan. 2016 for the AxeFxII. Check it out:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wishlist-bass-amps-and-effects.109177/

Back then, the idea of a Sunn and an Ampeg porta-flex were being floated as new additions for bassists. Fell off the map, never happened. The Darkglass B7k did happen, as well as a re-worked SVT, which is a good thing...but...how many YEARS of nothing new.

Most bassists who have a number of years of gigging under their belt will recognize most of these ICONIC bass amps - many were widely popular at one time or another (and some still are):

Ampeg B-15/Portaflex (still waiting)
Acoustic 360
Gallien-Kreuger 400/800RB
SWR RedHead; Studio 220
Marshall Super Bass
MarkBass Little Mark III
Trace Elliot AH350X
Sunn Coliseum; Sunn Beta Bass
Eden World Tour WT800
Hartke HA Series (3500)
Aguilar Tonehammer

Pick any 4 of those amps paired with IRs of companion bass cabinets and tell me that wouldn't make a lot of people happy.
Not to mention the very popular: Tech21 SansAmp BDDI (or one of its various flavors).

IMO, the bone of contention has never been whether you can emulate or coax similar sounds to these amps out of the AxeFx, but rather, that it would be nice to have models of these amps available in the box...no hunt-and-peck home brewing or buying 3rd party add-ons. Put them in the box. I don't think anyone would question the bona fides of the AxeFx, but certainly bassists get little more than a rare bone thrown their way. I'm guessing that bass stuff isn't so profitable to warrant development, and really doesn't float the boat of the prime movers at FAS. Oh well. So be it. Surprise me one day. TTY about this in another 6 months or so.

It may be because this discussion was initiated back in Jan. 2016 for the AxeFxII. Check it out:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wishlist-bass-amps-and-effects.109177/

Back then, the idea of a Sunn and an Ampeg porta-flex were being floated as new additions for bassists. Fell off the map, never happened. The Darkglass B7k did happen, as well as a re-worked SVT, which is a good thing...but...how many YEARS of nothing new.

Most bassists who have a number of years of gigging under their belt will recognize most of these ICONIC bass amps - many were widely popular at one time or another (and some still are):

Ampeg B-15/Portaflex (still waiting)
Acoustic 360
Gallien-Kreuger 400/800RB
SWR RedHead; Studio 220
Marshall Super Bass
MarkBass Little Mark III
Trace Elliot AH350X
Sunn Coliseum; Sunn Beta Bass
Eden World Tour WT800
Hartke HA Series (3500)
Aguilar Tonehammer

Pick any 4 of those amps paired with IRs of companion bass cabinets and tell me that wouldn't make a lot of people happy.
Not to mention the very popular: Tech21 SansAmp BDDI (or one of its various flavors).

IMO, the bone of contention has never been whether you can emulate or coax similar sounds to these amps out of the AxeFx, but rather, that it would be nice to have models of these amps available in the box...no hunt-and-peck home brewing or buying 3rd party add-ons. Put them in the box. I don't think anyone would question the bona fides of the AxeFx, but certainly bassists get little more than a rare bone thrown their way. I'm guessing that bass stuff isn't so profitable to warrant development, and really doesn't float the boat of the prime movers at FAS. Oh well. So be it. Surprise me one day. TTY about this in another 6 months or so.

Completely agree. The Sansamp BDDI (Brian Marshalls weapon of choice) and dUg Pinnick DP-3X would be fantastic. When I switched from guitar to bass I initially played through a Hartke HA3500 and that was a really great amp. Having tube and SS pre-amps with the ability to blend them created a ton of tones available for every type of bass player and the built in EQ was really nice.

Holy crap!! A 150??? That's a damn tree trunk. :D Pretty surprised you're getting a good B tone with a 120. Seems they would have too much tension to vibrate enough for a B tone. May have to investigate that. I really like the 128-130 range myself.

Well, there’s less tension on the 120 than the 150. The hexcore inside those DR’s provides a little more tension, so it doesn’t quite feel as loose as it one would think it was. I was really banking on that after reading reviews because I knew I’d be tuning down frequently and if it were a regular round-core, they’d be like shoestrings going from standard tuning to drop-C.

Actually, when I was playing the other night I left my G string tuned up while dropping everything else. Ryan Martini from Mudvayne does the same thing and it makes chord playing a little easier. Ultimately, I’m going to get a 4-string and keep it in drop C while keeping the 5-string in standard tuning. I have no problem buying up a few of these $350 Warwick’s because they play and sound so damn good!

Well, there’s less tension on the 120 than the 150. The hexcore inside those DR’s provides a little more tension, so it doesn’t quite feel as loose as it one would think it was. I was really banking on that after reading reviews because I knew I’d be tuning down frequently and if it were a regular round-core, they’d be like shoestrings going from standard tuning to drop-C.

Actually, when I was playing the other night I left my G string tuned up while dropping everything else. Ryan Martini from Mudvayne does the same thing and it makes chord playing a little easier. Ultimately, I’m going to get a 4-string and keep it in drop C while keeping the 5-string in standard tuning. I have no problem buying up a few of these $350 Warwick’s because they play and sound so damn good!

Very interesting, I would've thought the opposite on the tension. I tune down half a step so I've got to be cautious about string tension as well which is why I think I'll try a set of the DR's. Interesting tuning that Ryan uses...think I'll give it a try. :)

Did you notice that the Axe-Fx III already has 4 additional bass cabs in defaults courtesy of Cliff and Matt allowing me to add them?

F1.0552 1x12 WMAN1 160+PZM DB = pre-Fender SWR Workingman 1x12+Tweeter that was personally selected/used by Rufus Reid
F1.0617 1x15 TRAEL 441+PZM DB = 2009 Trace Elliott TE1518 bass cab.
F2.0194 2x15 AC406 RE20+PZM DB = mid 70s Acoustic 406 2x15 with stock Eminence speakers.
F2.0214 4x10 GeekRB D12+PZM DB = GK 410RBH cab

Pair any of them up with different non bass amps as well as the bass amps and you would be surprised with the variety of different bass amp tones that you can emulate.

Add a parallel DI signal with eq to increase variety.

Add drive pedals to each path (playing with mix and level settings).

Use the crossover block with two amps and cabs for different tones.

Best kept secret for bass in the unit is the solid state Jazz 120 model and changing out the tone stacks in the preamp page. For example if you want a GK style amp, change the tone stack to one of the Carvin Legacy tone stacks.

There's more tricks that I show in the presets included in my bass cab packs too if you start to analyze the routing, use of modifiers, and block settings for both the Axe-FxII, AX-8, and coming soon to the Axe-FX III (although you can get sort of a head start converting using FracTool).

I'm not saying that adding more bass amps and cabs to the units wouldn't be great. @jimfist and I, along with others, have been banging this drum for years. In fact, that's why I started this Dr Bonkers thing, to try and give support to bass players in the modeling world with some variety.

Last edited:
People want Hartke bass amps?

Not really. I don't like Hartke amps. But I would not get my hopes on new bass models high. There haven't been any new added bass amp wise since a year or so. And before that it was another year or more.

I've been dying to finish this up for you guys and so glad that it's finally here. I just released a Cab Pack based on an Ampeg Heritage Series SVT-410HLF that sounds absurdly good! I made a clip using the Porta-Bass model and my J-Bass with the Micro Boost in front for a little extra grit. The clip is a looper that scrolls through some of the Mixes found in the pack to showcase different tones, midrange, and pick attack with the same amp settings. The fourth play through (Mix 07) is my Dug Pinnick mix. There are 11 Mixes in the pack and 90 single mic shots along with Port and Tweeter captures. For this clip, I used Mixes 01, 04, 05, 07, 08, 10, and 11. The other mixes can be darker, brighter, or more mid-forward.

I'll make some more clips soon with my '75 Mustang Bass as well, but thought you guys would dig this for the time being.

At the moment, it has introductory pricing, but I also made a promo code STAYINSIDE30 for an extra 30% off, so you can grab it for $10.49 until Saturday, then it goes back up to $14.99. So take advantage of my "social distancing sale" while you can. I really can't wait to hear what you guys think of this thing!

Always respecting the low end,
-Justin

Back
Top Bottom