Resonator Guitar w/ Humbucker - Fishing for Ideas

zseelye

Okay, I need more brains to figure this out.

I just picked up a steel body resonator guitar with a mini humbucker. I love it. It's easy to create a preset to make the thing sound like a huge electric, but creating something that can emulate it's acoustic sound - that's tough. If I'm doing solo stuff w/ vox, I'd love to have a clean, semi-accurate acoustic sound from it. Obviously throwing a mic on it will get the best sound...but plugging in gets more consistent results.

I've tried a few different things - IRs, spring reverb - and while the plugged in sound is headed in the right direction, I'm sure there's a billion things I could try that I'm unaware of.

So...anyone have some ideas??

I added a piezo with a preamp to mine. The piezo is stuffed in the centre back of the resonator piece. Not perfect but works correct. There's a video of a guy who did that which inspired me to do the same.

Thanks for the video - pretty clever solution! My guitar is a tri-cone, so I don't think I could do this.

Ideally, I'd like to leverage the power of the fm3 platform as much as possible before making modifications to the guitar. Any insight into how the FM3 could be used to maximize the tone of the existing humbucker?

You'll never make a magnetic pickup sound like an acoustic instrument. It needs to be a mechanical pickup (such as a piezo) located at the bridge. Magnetic pickups must be placed somewhere along the length of the string, and that forces the pickup to act as a comb filter — a thing that doesn't exist in an acoustic instrument.

Right.

Just looking for tips on how to get the most out of the pup as is.
EQ is about your only tool for that. Maybe dial out the pickup-s resonant peak.

Otherwise, I like the Graphic EQ block for things like this. Adjust a frequency up and down until you find the spot that's most like your acoustic sound. Repeat for each frequency fader.

Back
Top Bottom