Resolved - which is amp, which Axe&2502 and which Axe direct

Re: Guess which clip is amp, which Axe&2502 and which Axe direct

Lets try this :
A - Axe-Fx + VHT
B - Axe-Fx direct
C - Marshall

Why?
To me C has the dirtyest overdrive and A, B overdrive sound similar.
Why B direct and A VHT?
I feel A has the same tone than C which should be mic so.(but perhaps it's B can't really decide me)
Hoping i'm right... :lol:

-<MACHINE>- said:
on 23 May 2009, 20:39

A) Axe Direct
B) AMP
C) Axe 2/50/2

hunter said:
on 23 May 2009, 23:47

The solution is:

A: Axe direct
B: Marshall
C: Axe through VHT

:D

Damn I've got good ears :lol:

Seriously though, and this is usually not the case nor to say I'm better in any way, it was obvious to me.

-<MACHINE>- said:
it was obvious to me.

Wow...that's a pretty strong statement.

Here is my thinking...

A and C have the same zzzsh quality to them...that doesn't mean bad like Pod zzzsh (IMO they both sound GREAT), just the identifier I used. I concluded they both had to be the Axe...being so similar. C sounded like it had some room to it, so it had to be the one with the VHT.

B had more room sound but sounded less polished, kinda rough and loose...making me think of the stated "Heritage Cab" as opposed to a Bogner cab...which to me is more focused and tight...kinda like C... :D

FWIW...I liked C best

-<MACHINE>- said:
[quote="-<MACHINE>-":3j5ywr9h] it was obvious to me.

Wow...that's a pretty strong statement.

Here is my thinking...

A and C have the same zzzsh quality to them...that doesn't mean bad like Pod zzzsh (IMO they both sound GREAT), just the identifier I used. I concluded they both had to be the Axe...being so similar. C sounded like it had some room to it, so it had to be the one with the VHT.

B had more room sound but sounded less polished, kinda rough and loose...making me think of the stated "Heritage Cab" as opposed to a Bogner cab...which to me is more focused and tight...kinda like C... :D

FWIW...I liked C best[/quote:3j5ywr9h]

Well done Machine!

For logistical and convenience reasons regarding my current plans for upcoming gigs, I decided I like A the most :mrgreen:

By the way, on A I used two Cab IRs: One V30 and one Bassman 4x10 :shock:

I thought B had to be the amp as well - the other 2 sounded too similar.

That said, I actually liked B the least. It sounded a bit muddy to me, though it was also the warmest which is good. The lead bit on B was nice though. My favourite was C. It had bite and clarity lacking in B, but had some warmth and room that lacked in A. The diferences between B and C could have had a lot to do with the cabs though.

I would like to know though - For A and C did you use the same settings (minus the cab for C obviously) or were they EQd differently?

Only asking because I m getting killer sounds through my Art and VHT cab, but cant get a direct sound I really like.

paulmapp8306 said:
I would like to know though - For A and C did you use the same settings (minus the cab for C obviously) or were they EQd differently?

Only asking because I m getting killer sounds through my Art and VHT cab, but cant get a direct sound I really like.

Nope. I didn't do the clips with a comparison in mind. Only after I had recorded "A", I realised I had similar clips flying around from last year with the Marshall, and a few months ago with the Axe/VHT.

On A I used a SLO100/JCM800 mix.
I think on C I had used a Fryette D60M with the VHT amp, but not sure, as I am changing patches around a lot, it could also have been the BigHair which I liked for these kinds of sounds before the 60M.

Hunter we need a new test for MACHINE, same as this one different gears in different cabs.
I like A the most too.

-<MACHINE>- said:
bmi said:
You are lucky...

I don't think so...read what I followed up with. If you listen for these things...IMO it's obvious :cool:
It's not obvious to me even if your choice is good.
You feel that A & C have the same fzzzz, but for me they didn't have the same overdrive probably due to the cab.

A as direct should be obvious due to his clarity but VHT is straight and clear and even some people here compare it to a solid state PA. With a good cab you can have the same clarity with an SM57(near field)...so it's not so obvious to find the Axe through different cabs.

Well, important for me was that it was not like 80% preferring the amps and 20% prefer direct.

In fact I posted this in other forums too and I would say overall average is sth like:

40% prefer Axe direct
30% prefer Axe/VHT
30% prefer Marshall

Good enough for me to keep going down the direct route and optimising tones and settings. Especially when I have my Mac Editor :mrgreen:

-<MACHINE>- said:
bmi said:
You are lucky...

I don't think so...read what I followed up with. If you listen for these things...IMO it's obvious :cool:

bmi said:
It's not obvious to me even if your choice is good.
You feel that A & C have the same fzzzz, but for me they didn't have the same overdrive probably due to the cab.
It's cool man...you hear what you hear...as everyone does.

I hear an underlying sonic "texture" that is not reliant upon the overdrive/cab interaction. I can hear the differences between the cabs/overdrive/dynamics etc. in A & C without a doubt...but listening underneath I hear the same thing.

bmi said:
A as direct should be obvious due to his clarity but VHT is straight and clear and even some people here compare it to a solid state PA. With a good cab you can have the same clarity with an SM57(near field)...so it's not so obvious to find the Axe through different cabs.
I've read this part about 653 times...I think you're talking about the clarity between A & C being potentially the same if you use a good cab and near field recording.

I guess...but it's not clarity that tips it in either direction...it's room sound I'm hearing that distinguishes the two...although there is slightly more zzzsh in A than C.

The answers were on the page when I listened but I didn't see them,
I just clicked on the clips in order and listened with my eyes shut- my first gut feelings:

Clip A- "Wow, I like the way the guitar bites-digs in, probably the Marshall"

Clip B- "Hmmm, maybe the Axe, not as much bite, lead is kinda clean"

Clip C- "The Axe again, still less aggressive than A ?"

Now, after reading all the replies and re-listening my final thoughts are:

I like clip A for the rhythm and the lead on clip C for the way it sits in the mix.

Clip B does remind me of my 1976 Jmp 50watt non-master Marshall, my recordings of it
never had the bite I was looking for.

Love the Axe, I have a standard and an Ultra now and A/B them to see how my favorite tones
from each one compare to the other (got the standard first so my learning curve shows-
many of my Ultra patches now use the Buttery and Plexi to get more amp distortion compred to
the crunchier recto/usa2 etc sounds I favored on the standard).

Anyway, thanks Hunter for the time you spent and thanks to all who responded-I listened more critically
to the clips after reading -<MACHINE>-s rationale for his spot-on take of the recordings.

Cheers,
Joel

So we need a new test to see if it's obvious.
I'm not against the fact that you find the solution, i just think that it's not at all obvious. Even the god of the Axe didn't try to give the solution.

Came late to this party but I did not look at the solution and I liked A and C the best, I thought all three lead tones were pretty good. I actually thought A would be the Marshall but glad to see it was the Axe-Fx direct. There are other modelers you can coax decent tones out of with the right power amp and cab combo. The beauty of the Axe-Fx is being able to go direct to pa and FRFR with such amazing tones! :D

I'm usually not good at picking these, but this one I think was pretty obvious. Listen to the tones, then go back and listen to the room sound. A & C tones sound the same, but B & C have a kind of "Mic'd" sound. So, in all likelihood A and C have the same front end (axe), and because the room sounds similar in B and C, we can say that C is the Axe/VHT. That leaves B as the Marshall.

Now, that being said, I really prefer A. B has this... I dunno... like it's sitting really far away. C is better, but A sounds like it's right up front in the mix.

bmi said:
So we need a new test to see if it's obvious.
I'm game :)

bmi said:
I'm not against the fact that you find the solution,
You seem pretty insistent that it can't be though...?

bmi said:
i just think that it's not at all obvious.
Well then my ears work better than yours :lol:

Kidding ;)

bmi said:
Even the god of the Axe didn't try to give the solution.
Well then shame on him for not following the instruction of this thread!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kidding again of course ;)

Back
Top Bottom