[Resolved] Upgrade to OS X Mojave - Now No Signal In Reaper From Axe-Fx III

Warrior

Power User
Upgrade to OS X Mojave and cannot get a signal from Axe-FX III into reaper via USB.

I cannot figure this out to save my life. Connected via USB and my Audio MIDI Setup recognizes my Axe-FX III. It's just that I cannot get a signal in Reaper. I have no idea what would have changed?

Settings all appear normal.

There's nothing in the Axe-Fx III, or Mojave, or Reaper that should cause this. I used that combination for quite awhile.

Check Audio MIDI setup?

I've had several vendors email me in the last 3 days with dire warnings about not upgrading to this OS if I want their products to continue to function. (I am not a Mac user at all.) Can you roll back?

Edit : My mistake, the warnings have been regarding 10.15 Catalina.

Even though I tend to live on the bleeding edge in most things, and actively get involved in beta testing for all sorts of things from iOS to individual apps, the upgrade to Catalina is one step that I will NOT be doing. I know the original post was about an upgrade to Mojave, but with my Mac now bugging me to upgrade to Catalina, I think it's important to point out something re the Catalina move. I will not be changing to Catalina.

For a long time.

I use lots of little utilities, some are legacy ones, and most are still 32-bit - hence will not run on Catalina.

And as a muso with a decently-equipped studio, I'm running Logic Pro X and Reaper, along with LOTS of plug-ins of various types, from processing to softsynths etc. Many, if not most, of those plug-ins have not been upgraded to 64-bit, and many will never be. Catalina will NOT run any 32-bit apps at all.

So i have a perfectly working system that runs smoothly and everything works. I'm not going to screw that up by "upgrading" to Catalina.

Last edited:
in mojave, apps that use audio have to be given permission to use the "microphone".

go into system prefs > security > security and privacy and click on "microphone" on the left. scroll down the list of apps and make sure every app that uses audio is checked.

There's nothing in the Axe-Fx III, or Mojave, or Reaper that should cause this. I used that combination for quite awhile.

Check Audio MIDI setup?

Everything looks normal there.

in mojave, apps that use audio have to be given permission to use the "microphone".

go into system prefs > security > security and privacy and click on "microphone" on the left. scroll down the list of apps and make sure every app that uses audio is checked.

I’ll give this a try this evening when I get home.

This did the trick!

Thanks!

Well, almost. I'm seeing a signal in Reaper but no sound. No signal going to my interface from reaper either. I'm sure it's not Axe related but don't know what to do.

I -- without thinking--upgraded my iMac to Catalina this evening. Axe Edit II (I use IIXL+) does not work.
I guess I need to see if I can re-install Mojave?

Yes...TY...I just downloaded it--and confirmed it is 64 bit.

That said, AxeEdit is not connecting now--showing disconnected error, and not loading the presets?

Turn off Axe-Fx, restart computer, try again?

No luck I'm afraid...2017 IMac.

This is a bummer, been a AxeFx user for over a decade--since the start --this is my third unit. I don't know how to use anything else at this point, not want to. I do need the Axe Edit but can't buy a III because of a OS upgrade:( .

Appreciate your help tonight. I have to go top bed now--East Coast, so I will have to work on this tomorrow night. Hopefully you will be around,

thx . Roger

I just tried it again this morning. With Axe-FX III off, the output from the other tracks in Reaper did play through the DAW. Once I turned the Axe back on, the track would not play (much like happens with youtube,etc at times).

I went into "Audio MIDI Setup" on my Mac, unchecked the Axe-FX III from the aggregate and it worked. I then checked the Axe-FX III again and it worked.

Then I went to play a Youtube video and no sound. Unchecked the Axe and sound.

If I then go into system preferences>sounds and select just my DAW interface for "Output", I then can hear the Youtube audio. Maybe this is how it's supposed to work?

I don't think it's caused by the Axe but this is frustrating behavior on the part of Mac OS X, to say the least.

Last edited:
same here - AxefxII editor no longer functioning after upgrade to catelina.

I'm on 3.14.5.

In AxeEdit Setting the ports for AxefxII don't show up even though USB is plugged in correctly. AxefxIII Axeedit seems to work fine.

Oh, that's right. That drove me nuts when I was trying to connect a Scarlett to my MacBook a couple of months ago. "Enable microphone? No thank you, I have much better audio sources! Hey, why does nothing work?"

Back
Top Bottom