[RESOLVED] MFC-101 Mk3 not working with Axe-Fx 3 - please help

chucma

Fractal Fanatic
I'm trying to program my MFC101 (Mk3) to control my AxeFX3, but am having a really hard time with getting it to work. I'm not an expert in MIDI and have previously just used my AxeFX2 with FASLink, so that was very easy to configure. With the AxeFX3 however, I am using single direction MIDI (MFC MIDI Out to AxeFX3 MIDI In) and the only functionality I want to achieve is:
1) Change presets, preferably using the BankUP and BankDown
2) Switch between Scenes 1 and 5 using the bottom row of buttons (as with the AxeFX2 Mode)
3) Bypass effects using IA6 - IA15

I can get the bypass effects to work fine, however when I try the Scene buttons (just 1 and 2 for example) or try change presets then my AxeFX3 mutes completely and I get no signal from it.

I have tried to detail the setup that I have done below, with this config I am trying to get just the preset switching to work, and Scene 1 and Scene 2 as a starting point.

MFC is on FW3.08, and AxeFX3 is on latest FW too. I have also tried the following methods but neither have worked for me, so I must be missing something but I don't know what.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ontroller-for-axe-fx-iii.138241/#post-1639524
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-programming-guide-for-the-axe-fx-iii.140139/

Can someone please help me with this?

Axe3 Setup

General
MIDI Channel: 1
Display Offset: 1
Scene Revert: On
Eff. Bypass Mode: Value

PC Config
Program Change: On
Ignore Redundant PC: ON

Initial Value
External Control 1: 100%

MFC101 (Mk III)
SETUP Menu
Axe-FX Mode: None
Performance Mode: Preset
Axe-Fx Display Offset: 1
MFC101 Display Offset: 1
Bank Size: 5
Bank Style: FIRST
Bank/Song Limit: 48
IA Switch Types: ALL Toggle
Global IA Switch Setup: ALL No
IA Switch Send/Preset : YES

MIDI Menu
MFC101 Port: MIDI
AxeFX Midi Channel: 1
Axe-FX TotalSync: OFF
MFC MIDI Receive Channel: OFF
MFC Receive Prog. Change: OFF

To make MFC Button 1 select Scene01
Midi
IA Switch Ctrl Change(CC#): [IA01 c1#001 Ch01] and [IA01 c2#OFF Ch01]
IA Switch Ctrl Change ON/OFF: [IA01 c1 Off000 OnOFF] and [IA01 c2 Off000 OnOFF]
IA Switch Prog. Change: IA01 pOF PC#OFF Ch01
Internal Control Change Settings: IntCC 01 CC#001 Ch01
Internal Control Change ON/OFF: IntCC 01 OfOFF On000

Preset 001
Name: Scene 1
Preset Program Changes: Ch 01 ProgChg OFF
Alternate Preset: OFF
Preset Instant Access State: IASw 01 OFF
Preset Int. Control Change: IntCC 01 ON (the rest are OFF)

To make MFC Button 2 select Scene02
Midi
IA Switch Ctrl Change(CC#): [IA02 c1#002 Ch01] and [IA02 c2#OFF Ch01]
IA Switch Ctrl Change ON/OFF: [IA02 c1 Off000 OnOFF] and [IA02 c2 Off000 OnOFF]
IA Switch Prog. Change: IA02 pOF PC#OFF Ch01
Internal Control Change Settings: IntCC 02 CC#002 Ch01
Internal Control Change ON/OFF: IntCC 02 OfOFF On000

Preset 002
Name: Scene 2
Preset Program Changes: Ch 01 ProgChg OFF
Alternate Preset: OFF
Preset Instant Access State: IASw 02 OFF
Preset Int. Control Change: IntCC 02 ON (the rest are OFF)

Many thanks,
Adrian.

Probably don't need Ignore Redundant PC set to ON, but it should not hurt anything.

However, I'm confused by your setup - are you trying to do scene changes by using IAs or by doing Preset Mapping?

You have presets named "scene 1" and "scene 2" but you have IAs that are sending CCs not PCs... And you are sending different CC numbers on each, which is not how scenes work.

To change presets with bank buttons you want Bank Size 0.

I'm going to post a separate reply with basic instructions.

Keep the same "global" settings you have except:

Ignore Redundant PC: OFF
Bank Size: 0

That should get the presets to change with bank up/down.

To get your IAs 1-5 working to change scenes, first go into the Axe Fx setup menu for midi and select a CC number for scene control. I would suggest 34 since that is what was default on Axe Fx II.

Now on the MFC, set button IAs 1-5 to send CC #34 with the ON value corresponding to scene# - 1 (so, use 0 for scene 1, 1 for scene 2, etc).

Set the OFF value to none.

Assign all of those switches to Link Group A.

Don't mess with any of the other IA settings. If you have changed any, maybe do a factory reset of the MFC before doing those steps.

Also, investing a few bucks in MFC Edit is a good idea... Although you'll also need a USB to midi adapter.

Thanks @unix-guy!

However, I'm confused by your setup - are you trying to do scene changes by using IAs or by doing Preset Mapping?
I was trying to do the scene changes by IAs, basically just the first row from 1 to 5. I think if my setup confuses you this is a clear sign I have it completely wrong. I was following the instructions from the link below, and reading the manual at the same time, so think I was trying to over complicate something simple.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-programming-guide-for-the-axe-fx-iii.140139/

You have presets named "scene 1" and "scene 2" but you have IAs that are sending CCs not PCs... And you are sending different CC numbers on each, which is not how scenes work.
Definitely my learning curve here.

To get your IAs 1-5 working to change scenes, first go into the Axe Fx setup menu for midi and select a CC number for scene control. I would suggest 34 since that is what was default on Axe Fx II.

Now on the MFC, set button IAs 1-5 to send CC #34 with the ON value corresponding to scene# - 1 (so, use 0 for scene 1, 1 for scene 2, etc).

Don't mess with any of the other IA settings. If you have changed any, maybe do a factory reset of the MFC before doing those steps.

Also, investing a few bucks in MFC Edit is a good idea... Although you'll also need a USB to midi adapter.

Awesome, thank you! I'll try these in the morning! I was very close to buying MFC Edit today but held back because I figured I might be able to do this all through the MFC, and this is only temporary until FAS release the new controllers with FASLink2. That said, I might still get MFC Edit, I have a MIDI interface I can plug the MFC into so I can edit it.

I'll reset the MFC and try again in the morning, and let you know how it goes, thanks again!!

@unix-guy, I owe you a good bottle of whiskey! I decided to try your suggestions before going out with my wife tonight and you nailed it! Thank you!! :):):)

I also bought MFC-Edit, that makes it a LOT easier to see what I'm doing. Thank you so much for your help on this one, you saved me a lot of over-complicated frustration and time there.

@unix-guy, I owe you a good bottle of whiskey! I decided to try your suggestions before going out with my wife tonight and you nailed it! Thank you!! :):):)

I also bought MFC-Edit, that makes it a LOT easier to see what I'm doing. Thank you so much for your help on this one, you saved me a lot of over-complicated frustration and time there.
Awesome... glad it's sorted ;)

What cable did you buy to use MFC edit? where to get also? Think it needs a usb to midi cable? Any link would be appreciated. Thanks!

What cable did you buy to use MFC edit? where to get also? Think it needs a usb to midi cable? Any link would be appreciated. Thanks!

I didn't need a midi-to-USB cable because I use an audio interface (Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP) which has midi ports already with 5 pin midi cables to connect directly to the MFC101. My signal chain is: Laptop (Firewire cable) -> Focusrite (5pin midi cable) -> MFC101.
So in my case, for Axe-Edit I use 2 midi cables (both 5 pin) similar to:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RMIDIB5--roland-midi-cable-5-foot

If you don't have an audio interface with midi ports, then you can use a midi to cable similar to this one:
http://amzn.eu/d/jgzrI1k

However I am in the UK, so you would need to search for something similar to that in the US (I found this one https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/mio--iconnectivity-mio).

Also, remember you will need to power your MFC101 using a separate power supply (you might already have one).

Basically, do a search in your area rather than using my suggestions as you might better deals.

I didn't need a midi-to-USB cable because I use an audio interface (Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP) which has midi ports already with 5 pin midi cables to connect directly to the MFC101. My signal chain is: Laptop (Firewire cable) -> Focusrite (5pin midi cable) -> MFC101.
So in my case, for Axe-Edit I use 2 midi cables (both 5 pin) similar to:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RMIDIB5--roland-midi-cable-5-foot

If you don't have an audio interface with midi ports, then you can use a midi to cable similar to this one:
http://amzn.eu/d/jgzrI1k

However I am in the UK, so you would need to search for something similar to that in the US (I found this one https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/mio--iconnectivity-mio).

Also, remember you will need to power your MFC101 using a separate power supply (you might already have one).

Basically, do a search in your area rather than using my suggestions as you might better deals.

Ha...just got one on Amazon for $10 vs $35 on Sweetwater. I'll give it a go. Thanks!

@unix-guy I tried to follow along here with the tips you gave the OP. This is the closest I have come to actually getting the Mk3 to work with my AXE 3. I am hoping you may know what else I am missing or have done incorrectly. I have IA 1-8 set up for scenes, which works on the first step of the button, but for example, I step on 1,2,3,4,2-- the second time I step on the 2 it takes me back to scene 1 and a third step on 2 takes me back to 2. The same for any other 2-8 scene I step on for the second time, I return to scene 1 and must double step to get the scene I want.

I have not set up any of the other IA buttons yet. Is it possible to do looper functions through IA 11-15 (rec, play, once etc)?

Here is what I have done so far. Any guidance is appreciated.

Thank you for taking a look.

MFC-101.PNG

@unix-guy I tried to follow along here with the tips you gave the OP. This is the closest I have come to actually getting the Mk3 to work with my AXE 3. I am hoping you may know what else I am missing or have done incorrectly. I have IA 1-8 set up for scenes, which works on the first step of the button, but for example, I step on 1,2,3,4,2-- the second time I step on the 2 it takes me back to scene 1 and a third step on 2 takes me back to 2. The same for any other 2-8 scene I step on for the second time, I return to scene 1 and must double step to get the scene I want.

I have not set up any of the other IA buttons yet. Is it possible to do looper functions through IA 11-15 (rec, play, once etc)?

Here is what I have done so far. Any guidance is appreciated.

Thank you for taking a look.

View attachment 51038
You want to set all the Scene IAs to have C1 Off of "none", otherwise the second time you press any one of them it will change back to Scene 1.

You also need to add the Scene IA buttons into a "Link group" - that makes them mutually exclusive, so when you press one whatever other one was selected will be deselected. One small problem though: you can only have 5 buttons in a link group... Which means practically, you can only use 5 scenes in a consistent manner.

Hope this helps?

You want to set all the Scene IAs to have C1 Off of "none", otherwise the second time you press any one of them it will change back to Scene 1.

You also need to add the Scene IA buttons into a "Link group" - that makes them mutually exclusive, so when you press one whatever other one was selected will be deselected. One small problem though: you can only have 5 buttons in a link group... Which means practically, you can only use 5 scenes in a consistent manner.

Hope this helps?

That is what it took. I am up and running now, nice to have some basic functions at last. Even managed to get my Looper controls sorted as well.This should hold me over until FC's start rolling out.Thank you so much!

That is what it took. I am up and running now, nice to have some basic functions at last. Even managed to get my Looper controls sorted as well.This should hold me over until FC's start rolling out.Thank you so much!
Glad it's working...

@unix-guy you have helped so many people understand how to resolve their MIDI issues! Your patience is much appreciated for us ex-FASLink users!
No problem. I have a decent understanding of midi from prior to using the Axe Fx, and my knowledge grew once I started using one.

My initial use of the Axe Fx was with a Ground Control (original) and Ground Control Pro (GCP). I had used these with various other devices, but they were not great for my workflow with the Axe Fx.

I switched to the FCB1010 (with Uno chip) as I was considering modifying one with the LG-FCB hardware mod (adding a Gordius "brain" inside the FCB) but I wanted to make sure the buttons and pedals had the right response.

It worked, but I didn't like the placement of the pedals...

Eventually I found a good deal on a Gordius LGX2 (Big Little Giant), which was great. I really love the amount of flexibility, the programming capability and form factor...

But I really wanted MFC type of integration for use with scenes and IAs, so the LED status so I bought an MFC.

The point being that all of these devices use midi and have many of the same concepts and except for the MFC-101, only had one way communication.

Now that that Axe Fx III is here and only supports one way communication with the MFC, is just like before using the MFC with the Axe Fx II. You just need to know the basics of midi plus how the MFC works.

Back
Top Bottom