RESOLVED Axe-Fx III SPDIF output is really quiet into Scarlett 6i6 gen 2 (and DAWs)

Lkdog

Power User
I am longtime AXE FX Ultra, and the AXe II, and AXE II XL user and recently got at an AXE FX III.

In my setup I like to use a separate Audio Interface and have been using a Scarlett 6i6 gen2 for a couple years.

I went into the AXE FX III I/O setting and set it to SPDIF and the source for it as INPUT 1.

I then use the AXE FX III SPDIF out to the Scarlett SPDIF in.
Using Sonar Platinum as my DAW. Also having same issue in Ableton Live 9. Recording at 48khz. Scarlett set at 48khz.

When I arm a track for recording I use the Focusirite USB ASIO SPDIF 1 as the Input source.

I DO get sound- it is just really quiet- like - 22 or -23 peak.

I have used this exact setup with my previous AXE FX XL with no issues.

Not sure what I am doing wrong here.

OS is WINDOWS 10 with most recent Creator update. Fresh install.
Intel core I7 CPU system which is pretty loaded.

I left all of the Scarlett software settings like they were loaded when the drivers were installed.
It works perfectly for other DAW functions and general sound functions,

Any ideas are welcome. I left all of the Scarlett software settings like they were loaded when the drivers were installed.

I should note when I use the AXE FX III as an audio interface I get normal volume with USB audio in both Sonar and Ableton.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
It seems as if you are taking the direct and dry input right from the guitar before it gets sent to the amps and other level boosters. Is that the case and why?

It seems as if you are taking the direct and dry input right from the guitar before it gets sent to the amps and other level boosters. Is that the case and why?

You might be onto something- it does sound like a dry input. But don't know how I am screwing that up and I certainly am not trying to do so.
I edited the above post. I am getting the same issue in Ableton also.Works with AXE FX III USB audio interface, but not when I use the AXe FX III SPDIF out into the Scarlett.

Is there some setting in Axe FX III when I use the SPDIF output that I have that bypasses the processing?

OK, that seems to have resolved the issue. Thanks so much to you both for identifying that problem in the signal chain setup.

Back
Top Bottom