Resist the GAS, or succumb to it? To upgrade or not to upgrade? Help a guy out!

There was an adjustment period for me as I had gotten used to the II (pre-Ares). If you really love the specific tones you have dialed in on the II you could tone-match converted III presets to the II. But there is enough goodness and variety (and amps that you may dig in the III) that that may not matter.

The newer the technology, the better you stay up to date on it. Also, the longer you hang onto the old, the more it loses value. Of course ruling out collectables. And this is even before the difference in power, looks, features and sound come into play. After owning the IIs, the III is a vast improvement, IMHO. I forgot to mention the continuous support of Fractal Audio and all the great contributors in the forums. But you knew that already.;)

If you're perfectly happy with the 2, just want to replicate those tones in the 3, and don't need the extra CPU... I guess the question is why upgrade? I get the GAS aspect, and the inspiration that comes with new gear. But that aside what will it provide you that you can't currently do with the 2?

Not trying to talk you out of it. I feel like I have the exact same dilemma every time I upgrade my phone. I don't NEED it, but I want it. Luckily I didn't have this dilemma when I purchased my 3 as it was my first Fractal product.

Lastly, do it. You only live once ;).

Since your presets are simple I'd also consider waiting for the FM3, more portable, same amps/cabs/FX as the axe III, same audio interface configuration as the axe II and you'll probably be able to make the switch without spending additional money.

This.

This is totally enabling but... remember... Fractal does offer a 15 day money back guarantee. Likely it has never been used anyone... but its there if you were to be unsatisfied. I have LOVED all the models I've owned but have no regrets about purchasing the III. I didn't really think they could improve that much on the II era stuff but they have blown me away again and it feels like the updates have been a nearly constant flow of cool enhancements. I just recently got the FC-12 as well and I am loving that too!

I have had an interesting experience regarding this. When I first ordered my Axe III I had moved the Axe II in my practice room and put the III in my studio. I have been running like this for the last six months or so. After going back-and-forth between the two rooms daily, I recently decided to upgrade the practice room to a III as well. There’s a strong difference in feel, and it’s very noticeable when you switch back-and-forth between the two units.

There was an adjustment period for me as I had gotten used to the II (pre-Ares). If you really love the specific tones you have dialed in on the II you could tone-match converted III presets to the II. But there is enough goodness and variety (and amps that you may dig in the III) that that may not matter.
I have 4 tones that are my goto's, Herbert, 6505+, VH-4, Recto for leads. It's been like that for years. They sound so good to me that once I dialed them in I never felt compelled to update. I'm still stuck on FW14 btw :D With the vast tonal options that are available on the III I'm pretty sure I can get very close dialing them even without tonematching.
If you're perfectly happy with the 2, just want to replicate those tones in the 3, and don't need the extra CPU... I guess the question is why upgrade? I get the GAS aspect, and the inspiration that comes with new gear. But that aside what will it provide you that you can't currently do with the 2?

Not trying to talk you out of it. I feel like I have the exact same dilemma every time I upgrade my phone. I don't NEED it, but I want it. Luckily I didn't have this dilemma when I purchased my 3 as it was my first Fractal product.

Lastly, do it. You only live once ;).
Well if you think about it most of the time we don't really need things, but we might want them for various reasons. Yes I am perfectly happy with the II and I don't need a III. BUT!
I feel that mentally I'm at a point where something new would excite me and invigorate my creativity. When I upgraded to the II from the Ultra seven years ago my urge to create and share went through the roof and that's when I started making videos for the Axe. When I think about the III I can see myself going through another phase like that. I'm already envisioning things I can do creatively, there are so many more possibilities than the II. Even though I'll eventually end up with a few core tones, the exploring the unit part and coming up with new stuff is a huge draw for me.

I have had an interesting experience regarding this. When I first ordered my Axe III I had moved the Axe II in my practice room and put the III in my studio. I have been running like this for the last six months or so. After going back-and-forth between the two rooms daily, I recently decided to upgrade the practice room to a III as well. There’s a strong difference in feel, and it’s very noticeable when you switch back-and-forth between the two units.
This is golden. Six months going back and forth between the two and feeling the difference, that tells me a lot. Thank you for this.

And thanks to everyone for pitching in even though it hasn't helped the resistance. It's great to have insight from first hand experience, much appreciated.

1. How difficult would it be to replicate my tones that I use currently with my AFX2?
2. In terms of just pure tone, how big of a difference is there currently between the two units?
3. I am struggling with this one as I keep asking myself, would a cost of roughly 1k for an upgrade (again if I sell my 2) be worth it?

I was in a similar position about 7 months ago: Very satisfied with the II but wondering how much better it could get with the III.

1. I just loaded up both units side-by-side and manually copied my settings. There's probably an easier way to do it, but I only had one main patch I needed. Amp menus are laid out a little differently so you have to go around to different pages to get your settings (axe edit would be easier). You probably won't need dramatic adjustments to your settings. With the exact same setting, I heard a huge improvement, but I readjusted mine because I realized I could make it even better.

2. Difference is much bigger than I expected. I A/B'd them side by side with the same settings and there was no going back.

3. I have zero regrets with upgrading, except maybe that I didn't do it sooner.

I can relate to the OP. Years ago before I got the Axe II, I was buying amps swapping them out, using the PODXT. Once I pulled the trigger on the AXE II, and we made the huge leap from FW9 to FW10, my gas was over! UNTIL.......recently. :) I been wanting the AXE III since it came out, but convinced myself that I don't want or need it. As of lately the amp fever has returned and I bought a half stack, only to find it doesnt sound like my Axe II ( I use headphones) and when I changed the tubes as one was burnt out, the amp took a shit on me.

I've had the Axe II for years, had great tone, been inspired to play for hours non stop, not one problem with it. Now I got an amp I find I'm kicking myself, when I should've just broke down and bought the Axe III. And worst case scenario I can return it. Have I bought it yet? Nope. At this point I'm finding every reason I can come up with NOT to pull the trigger. lol

I went back and read all the release notes and damn Cliff has changed/added in loads of stuff. However, my struggle is how much better does it really sound for $2000, really? I haven't seen much of any new amps being added ( a few ) and that's a selling point for me. Also, people been raving about the Axe since day one. I get it. BUT, from FW9 to FW 10 we were spot on. Here we are with another unit, 40-50 fw updates and where we at? See my point. That's the other part that frustrates me, and why I haven't jump on the Axe III. I love that Cliff works his ass off to try and improve and add what he can, but this whole "It's spot on" gets to me. If it were then why do we need updates to improve the amp modeling etc. I know the tones I can create with the Axe II or III, will destroy an amp any day of the week, for what I use it for any way. See what I go through? LOL!

I'm most likely going to buy the damn thing as I know the hours of enjoyment I would have and have had with my II. And come to realize amps for me is a thing of the past. AND I don't have to worry about soldering or swapping out tubes and something going wrong......oh how I hate thee.

Last edited:
my struggle is how much better does it really sound for $2000, really? Also, people been raving about the Axe since day one. I get it. BUT, from FW9 to FW 10 we were spot on. Here we are with another unit, 40-50 fw updates and where we at? See my point.

From the 2 to the 3 there was a noticable difference to me. I dialed in my sounds very quickly with the 3 and was able to clone my Mesa without a tone match with minimal effort. I'm glad I returned the 2 although it sounded great it needed more tweaking to get the sound I had in my head.

Firmwares on the 3 are a different story for me. I'd have to a/b the earliest firmware and compare it to today but I honestly don't hear or feel much of a difference unless a parameter gets reset due to a modelling change. For example, the latest firmware update reset power amp hardness to 5...I felt a change but quickly got my usual feel back by raising it. I think people like me don't benefit much from modelling changes/upgrades because we tend to try to get the new firmware to sound like our familiar sound from the older firmware. For what it's worth I play out of a cab/power amp setup so I'm missing out on the whole IR side of things.

I heard and felt a noticeable difference going from the AX8 to the III. Totally worth it IMO. And then there is always the excitement of firmware Fridays.

When is it ever about need?

The Ultra is still more device than I likely “need,” but I’ve since gone through a II, an XL+, and an AX8 on the way to the III I’ve been gigging since it came out. I originally went AxeFX because it was the best there was, and am on the III because it is the best of the best. I wanted it, I love using it, and that’s that.

If you can afford it, jump in.

Back
Top Bottom