Resist the GAS, or succumb to it? To upgrade or not to upgrade? Help a guy out!

kostein

Inspired
I haven't posted here in a while but I felt that this would be the best place to ask fellow fractalites for your thoughts/opinions/advice. Some of you might remember me from some high gain videos I did years ago.

I've been rocking my AFX2 mk1 since early 2012 and I am still perfectly happy with it. It does everything I need and have been very much settled with it when it comes to tones.

I play metal mostly so most of my presets are pretty simple, drive -> amp-> cab, and maybe a delay or reverb for leads. I might try an elaborate preset for time to time just for the fun of it but I don't really have a use for one. I don't play live so I only use it at home. Basically my number one priority is how good the core tone sounds, I am not too concerned about effects (which can sound amazing).

This year, thoughts have been creeping into my mind about upgrading to the 3. The recent price drop didn't help things as the GAS has intensified since. I've been thinking about this over and over and even though I most definitely don't NEED the 3, I've come to the realization that I want the 3. The thought of, upgrading will cost me around 1k (if I sell my 2), is intruiging.

So that is where I am at. In short, I LOVE my 2 but the GAS is strong and intensifying for a 3. On to the questions.

1. How difficult would it be to replicate my tones that I use currently with my AFX2?
2. In terms of just pure tone, how big of a difference is there currently between the two units?
3. I am struggling with this one as I keep asking myself, would a cost of roughly 1k for an upgrade (again if I sell my 2) be worth it?

I know that these are subjective and some people might feel differently than others. I also know that there are a million things that come with the purchase of new gear, especially with something as special as the 3. I'm talking about the excitement, being inspired, the newness of it all, etc, I'm sure you know feeling. I'll have to weigh that in as well. Ultimately, I'm the one who has to make a decision but I would love to hear people's thoughts on my current situation.

Resist the GAS, or succumb to it? Help a guy out!

I jumped couple months ago. The 3 is one bigger than 2. :)

I moved my gig presets with the amazing Fastool from XL to 3 and they work!

I didn't have them side by side to compare, but i feel the cleaner and semi break up tones are improved. I dont use high gain things very much though, i guess they should be somehow better too, altough the 2 is great to begin with.

I haven't posted here in a while but I felt that this would be the best place to ask fellow fractalites for your thoughts/opinions/advice. Some of you might remember me from some high gain videos I did years ago.

I've been rocking my AFX2 mk1 since early 2012 and I am still perfectly happy with it. It does everything I need and have been very much settled with it when it comes to tones.

I play metal mostly so most of my presets are pretty simple, drive -> amp-> cab, and maybe a delay or reverb for leads. I might try an elaborate preset for time to time just for the fun of it but I don't really have a use for one. I don't play live so I only use it at home. Basically my number one priority is how good the core tone sounds, I am not too concerned about effects (which can sound amazing).

This year, thoughts have been creeping into my mind about upgrading to the 3. The recent price drop didn't help things as the GAS has intensified since. I've been thinking about this over and over and even though I most definitely don't NEED the 3, I've come to the realization that I want the 3. The thought of, upgrading will cost me around 1k (if I sell my 2), is intruiging.

So that is where I am at. In short, I LOVE my 2 but the GAS is strong and intensifying for a 3. On to the questions.

1. How difficult would it be to replicate my tones that I use currently with my AFX2?
2. In terms of just pure tone, how big of a difference is there currently between the two units?
3. I am struggling with this one as I keep asking myself, would a cost of roughly 1k for an upgrade (again if I sell my 2) be worth it?

I know that these are subjective and some people might feel differently than others. I also know that there are a million things that come with the purchase of new gear, especially with something as special as the 3. I'm talking about the excitement, being inspired, the newness of it all, etc, I'm sure you know feeling. I'll have to weigh that in as well. Ultimately, I'm the one who has to make a decision but I would love to hear people's thoughts on my current situation.

Resist the GAS, or succumb to it? Help a guy out!

Aren't you Europe based?
I remember your higain amps video series and I thought you were.

Here the price drop is yet to be seen so probably would cost you more than 1k to take the leap.

I just sold my 2 and upgraded and glad I did. The feel and response is better on all the amps. I would do it now while you can probably sell your 2 for about $1000.

Well I had the II and the XL+ and for me the III is the icing on the cake and it crosses the t’s and dots the I’s… beyond that the evolutionary ride goes on and it puts a satisfactory grin on my face that I’m able to easily realize the tones in my head. For me the upgrade was absolutely worth it.

Definitely do it.
the 3 is better and cleaner.
your presets will translate well, and even if there are issues, they are simple so starting from scratch is also an option.
thanks
pauly

@kostein,
don't walk towards the Axe III deal - - RUN !!!

The II is really great, loved mine, but the III is IMHO vastly improved in tone, feel and in every other aspect.

To answer your questions briefly:

a) easily replicated and bettered
b) 42
c) off-load the II while it holds it's current value, I predict that the II will loose some re-sale value when the FM-3 starts shipping, and the upgrade price of 1K is a jaw-dropping good deal and a no-brainer IMHO if you have the 1k to spend.

We are all enablers here, and as mentioned above : resistance is futile, you will be assimilated !

Just do it, I doubt you’ll have any complain after the first minutes playing it. Sounds better, feels better, opens a lot more possibilities. I still have my XL, don’t know why, but I love these machines.

Ive said this before and likely applies to the OP‘s quandry ...For many of us, I’m sure, a big part of the unique fun of using the III ,as was the case for each of the previous FAS models, is being able to witness and experience the almost instant results of a true and restless genius...who very recently inferred that the rate of ECliffanies ™ are increasing (as new applied knowledge leads to fresh revelation) , borne out in the almost hard-to-keep-up-with pummeling of FW updates of the last few months .
Yes, buy one now .

Since your presets are simple I'd also consider waiting for the FM3, more portable, same amps/cabs/FX as the axe III, same audio interface configuration as the axe II and you'll probably be able to make the switch without spending additional money.

Do it. Had a II MkI and don’t regret the upgrade even a little bit. You’ll be set for years and join in on all the new firmware awesomeness.

If you can afford the III don’t hesitate. I jumped up from an AX8 and the difference was simply startling. Best decision ever.

Same for me from the AX8 to the III, have loved every minute and the upgrades have been absolutely amazing.

If you can afford it. Do it.

It seems that most of you think that it would be worth selling the 2 and upgrading, granted I can afford it. I am still undecided but I'm leaning more and more towards the 3, still resisting! The FM3 is an interesting option but to me it would feel like I'm downgrading even though that won't be true. I'm too used to having a rack unit.

After working through the Fractal lineage (Ultra, II, IIXL+) starting in 2009, I am blown away by the tones we can easily coax from the III. I only sold the previous units after I got the III. Sonically there was no way to go back! Since you can afford it, I strongly concur with those before me, who have counseled you to upgrade now. I know you will enjoy your new III. Lee

Somewhere between firmware 8 and 10 I’m hearing or feeling more differences between Axe2 and Axe3. Nothing specific just more fun to play.

Back
Top Bottom