Resetting amps, again, can't make sense of it

vangrieg

Fractal Fanatic
I know there have been several threads about it already, and there's information on the wiki, but some of it is outdated, and I haven't seen any piece of information that would be comprehensive. Or maybe I'm just being stupid.

So, in a nutshell, double-clicking the Bypass button on the AFX front panel is the same as choosing "Reset block" in Axe-Edit, right? Does this reset the amp to this particular model's default settings or the Amp block's defaults?

If I double-click some control in Axe-Edit, it seems to do something weird, like setting it either to noon or zero. How in the world do I set individual settings to the model's default values then without resetting everything?

The "Reset Amp(S) defaults" menu option on the front panel resets some parameters, but not all of them. The wiki gives a list, is it relevant now?

Re-selecting an amp does what exactly?

And finally, if I change the Amp block's type to another amp, how do I set this new amp to it's proper default values? It seems to retain settings from the previously selected model for some reason here. Is this how it is supposed to work? I find it quite strange...

Thanks in advance!

I'm struggling with this as well. Yesterday I found that even resetting the block in AxeEdit only resets the selected X/Y, not both. I actually prefer it this way, but to me that wasn't what I expected....as it's not resetting the whole block.

How can we get clear on the various 'reset' options?

RR

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Amp_block_reset#Resetting_Amp_block_parameters

1) Complete reset
Double-clicking BYPASS (Axe-Fx II) or SHIFT-2x EDIT (AX8) resets the X or the Y-state of an AMP block completely. This sets ALL block parameters to their default values for the current amp model. Use this to start from scratch.
This is called Block Reset in Axe-Edit and AX8-Edit.

2) Re-selecting amp type
De-selecting the current amp type by selecting another type and re-selecting the previous one again (aka "up/downing amp type" or "reselecting amp type") resets most parameters to their default values for that particular model. Here's the list of affected parameters (as measured on Jan 30 2016):
  • PRE: nothing except the BRIGHT knob
  • PWR: everything except OUTPUT LEVEL
  • SPKR: everything
  • EQ: all sliders and EQ Type (see ADV)
  • PWR DYN: everything except COMP TYPE
  • PRE DYN: everything except OUTPUT LEVEL'
  • DYNEQ: everything except CHAR TYPE, CHAR Q
  • ADV: all except INPUT SELECT,
  • TREM/MIX: TREM FREQ, OUTPUT LEVEL, BALANCE, BYP MODE.
3) Utility menu: SET AMP(S) TO DEFAULTS
The parameter SET AMP(S) TO DEFAULTS in the Utility menu on the Axe-Fx II sets an even more limited set of parameters in the amp block(s) (X and Y) to their default values. Use this after a firmware upgrade when the release notes recommend doing this, or with old presets, to make sure that essential amp model parameters are set to correct values, while maintaining the current values of basic controls.

4) Double-clicking an amp control in the editor sets that control's value to default, but it doesn't look up the specific default value for the current amp type.

Last edited:
Double-clicking an amp control in the editor sets that control's value to default, but it doesn't look up the specific default value for the current amp type.

So it looks there's no way to easily recall the particular amp's default setting. Those generic defaults aren't very useful. Thanks for your reply anyway.

The first item from the wiki quote does answer one of my questions, but doesnt answer the rest, unfortunately. Granted, I mixed up the effects of re-selecting an amp and resetting amp defaults, but that doesn't explain the other issues.

The first item from the wiki quote does answer one of my questions, but doesnt answer the rest, unfortunately. Granted, I mixed up the effects of re-selecting an amp and resetting amp defaults, but that doesn't explain the other issues.

I read answers to at least 4 of your questions ...

I always use X/Y to look up a parameter's specific default value.

Well, I know about that method, but it hardly counts as an "easy way" if you have a preset with 2 amp blocks using both X and Y already. I have no idea what purpose resetting to some generic defaults (which is what double-clicking does) can possibly serve and why it's even there.

I read answers to at least 4 of your questions ...

One of my questions was whether the list of things that are reset is still relevant with current firmware.

Another one was what exactly the other method resets. "An even more limited set" isn't an answer to that specific question.

I'm not complaining and I'm truly grateful for your efforts, and I totally get it that it's hard to maintain the wiki to keep up with all the changes, but it doesn't always clear the confusion.

I'ts already been talked about in the wish list as well as adding markers showing where the amp specific default is on each parameter.

Oops another question, when SET AMP(S) TO DEFAULTS in the Utility menu on the Axe-Fx II does reset on amp models in Axe Fx or just amp in current preset?

Thanks for his thread!

Seems that the "right" strategy is to use Util menu reset every firmware and not rely on tweaks to parameters that are affected by that to make "your sound" because they'll get nuked with the next update. Can we get more clear on this list? Seems possible that it might change between firmwares?

Also, being able to see the amp model-specific defaults while editing, and a button to toggle saved vs edited patch (not relying on X/Y or copy/pasting scenes) would be really helpful.

And +1 request to change behavior of double-click of parameter in an amp. Reset just that value to amp model-specific default.

4) Double-clicking an amp control in the editor sets that control's value to default, but it doesn't look up the specific default value for the current amp type.

This seems head-shakingly worthless to me?!?
-
Austin

For me the amp rest thing has always been a challenge. Every option at our disposal, in my limited understanding, affects too many things, or affects things in a way that adds no value to me. I wish there was a "amp reset" menu where you could reset certain classes of things, incrementally if you like. All the reset strategies that I tried mess up my amp block's EQ page settings, which I worked a long time on to get it right for my guitar/monitor/levels. So right off the bat, I tend not to use any of the reset "workarounds". I realize that I miss out on the benefits of resetting the amp after a new f/w load, but I keep telling myself that one of these days, when I have time, I'll do a reset and then redial my patch...

I wish that one of these strategies allowed you to reset only the advanced parameters (without changing trim, gain, bass, mid, trebble, master, or EQ page settings)...

But I'm just a dumb user, and not a good tweaker to begin with, so what do I know?

This seems head-shakingly worthless to me?!?
-
Austin
"worthless" or not, it works the way it's supposed to... AE requesting a default value for a given parameter. the value you're getting is a global value set for all amps. a bit unfortunate though that most amps use different values. the very first AE worked the other way around, sending values to the hardware, but that ultimately led to too many errors. not sure how easy it would be to implement each separate value into the Axe to be sent on request to AE, as that "double click feature" doesn't exist on the hardware. works like a charm on fx-blocks though...

Back
Top Bottom