Reset system parameters ?

frankiev

Experienced
I didnt see anything in the release notes but I seem to remember reading that its best to use "update system parameters" in the utility tab after updating the firmware . Is this correct?

AFIK, not needed. Change to different amp type and change back, that loads defaults for new param in 5.0 into your amp block.

I honestly wish there was a global "RESET AMP DEFAULTS" included in the firmware update. Resetting 384 presets gets to be a real waste of precious time.

you use all 384 presets? wow, your tap dancing must be way crazier than mine. i use like 27 and a couple are duplicates, doesn't take too long for me.

I honestly wish there was a global "RESET AMP DEFAULTS" included in the firmware update. Resetting 384 presets gets to be a real waste of precious time.

You're joking right? You aren't actually resetting all the different presets by hand? There are updated presets coming you know ;)

They provide the banks with them updated for you in most cases shortly after release of the firmware. You only need to do the manual update on your own creations. Until they provide the banks you can simply change the amp back and forth on whatever you are using at the moment if you dont want to do them all. Just make it your first step after switching presets. And come on, it takes all of what? 5-10 mins to do em all ? :roll

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm tired of ranting and complaining about this device and the firmware updates (removing features, changing amp tones, no guidance on what actually changed so you can fix your borked patches, coupons, waiting lists). And I'm sure Cliff and the fanboys are too. I'm also sure the new firmware is "the best" "a game changer", "better than a tube amp" yada, blah, blah, at least until the next firmware update, in which case it will be even betterer! Enjoy.

You're joking right? You aren't actually resetting all the different presets by hand? There are updated presets coming you know ;)

I only use 40% of the Fractal presets and of those, all have XY or other functionality added to them. Unless you can suggest an alternative method, it is a manual rewriting of the patches.

Honestly, I'm tired of ranting and complaining about this device and the firmware updates...

Now had you stopped there, I might have believed you! :)

I really don’t get the issue but that’s just me. If you like what you have, don't update. I saw many guys leave their Ultra and Standards on much earlier firmware versions for just that reason. If you want to upgrade the release notes tell you what has changed. Again, if you are happy with your current sounds then don't stress and enjoy. If you want to ride the update train then look at the bright side in that we have a creator that is always looking for way to improve the product either through his own vision or suggestions brought up by everyone here. Taking a few minutes and updating your patches or learn what has changed seems like such a minor inconvenience compared to the benefits. At least that how I look at it. You seem a tad bitter though with the fanboy rhetoric.

As you said, Enjoy!

Last edited:
There's bit of truth at both ends of the spectrum. The updates/upgrades have indeed been great and it's hard to miss out on some of the functions coming out at the same time as the amp tweaks. The Tape delay for instance, or the upgraded gate. But at the same time, it is, FOR ME, a tedious process to tweak patches again.
FW 4 to FW 5 was not the piece of cake I expected based on some of the comments I read.
Having sculpted a sound and honed it to my liking in 4.01, it did NOT take 5 minutes for this single patch to be tweaked with 5.0. It took more than 25 and the result is not quite there yet.
On the other hand, some presets took NO time at all. Sounded great right after the upgrade.

I'm a "fanboy" as much as anyone else. But I also measure my enthusiasm because I know it's going to be work to craft the sound again.

YMMV, It's all MHO and all that jazz. Some guys can do this in 3 minutes. I'm a bit more obsessive about it.

There's bit of truth at both ends of the spectrum. The updates/upgrades have indeed been great and it's hard to miss out on some of the functions coming out at the same time as the amp tweaks. The Tape delay for instance, or the upgraded gate. But at the same time, it is, FOR ME, a tedious process to tweak patches again.
FW 4 to FW 5 was not the piece of cake I expected based on some of the comments I read.
Having sculpted a sound and honed it to my liking in 4.01, it did NOT take 5 minutes for this single patch to be tweaked with 5.0. It took more than 25 and the result is not quite there yet.
On the other hand, some presets took NO time at all. Sounded great right after the upgrade.

I'm a "fanboy" as much as anyone else. But I also measure my enthusiasm because I know it's going to be work to craft the sound again.

YMMV, It's all MHO and all that jazz. Some guys can do this in 3 minutes. I'm a bit more obsessive about it.

I totally hear you and see both ends of that spectrum. I did not mean to suggest re-tweaking your own personal presets would be trivial as it often is not depending on complexity of the update as well as the presets involved. I only have about 12 go to patches so it’s not a real big deal for me. My 5 to 10 min comment was based on factory presets. I also have no misconceptions about you guys who are on the front lines night in and night out having much more on the table and at risk. That in itself makes all the changes more stressful no doubt. I was truly shocked when Matt said he has artists changing firmware at sound checks.

I have nothing but respect for all you who use these tools to make your livings. I am almost embarrassed I am fortunate enough to have them myself as I am clearly not worthy. I would think your dilemma is as you stated, wanting one aspect of an update with respect to another. But I also think you cannot resist either or you would simply just implement major updates and skip a few in between. *SMILE* We just have to try!!! It’s all a matter of precious time and perspective. I am certainly glad it’s not a pressure situation for me as I really do enjoy the updates and treat them pretty much as a lesson plan on this educational roller coaster!

Oh here’s a little NAMM candy that I know you enjoy!!!

DSC_0199.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg
DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg
DSC_0204.jpg

Last edited:
Tedious - that's the perfect word.

Counterproductive. Time spent writing vs tweaking (for me)

With monthly or even bi-monthly updates being released so fast it still confuses me why half of the amps still do not have their own default setting / stripped down preset number (ex. 1-40 in Bank A) to coincide with firmware updates. It would be so easy for guys to A/B there custom presets vs new firmware Bank A stripped down amps. If not, the wiki amp page should at least illustrate baseline settings to start with for new releases. Some amps have this listed, majority, unfortunately do not. Especially, if we're losing functions now.

I went into my cave and played with some of my favorite 3.04 patches. Then I loaded 5.0. Played a few sounds. Loaded amp defaults in a few patches. Played again.. Then switched back to 3.04. In comparing the two, the patches on 5.0 were much quieter, less gain. I had to raise the Output Knob from about 9:30 to 2:00 to get the same volume as 3.04 (I'm playing through an Atomic FR and not gig level volume - just loud enough to annoy my kids who are studying for midterms). I would really appreciate if someone could chime in with their experience on what specifically changed between 3.04 and 4.0 and 5.0 to create such a difference in volume/gain. Is it merely a matter of raising the Level Knob in each preset?. I really don't want to "adjust drive and master, because if you start screwing around with Master and Drive, you might as well chuck out that preset and start from scratch. Which, as per my complaints, is something I'd really like to avoid doing . . . again.

Yes, I can stay at 3.04 "ad infinitum", but, that ain't the point and is not a very helpful comment.

I went into my cave and played with some of my favorite 3.04 patches. Then I loaded 5.0. Played a few sounds. Loaded amp defaults in a few patches. Played again.. Then switched back to 3.04. In comparing the two, the patches on 5.0 were much quieter, less gain. I had to raise the Output Knob from about 9:30 to 2:00 to get the same volume as 3.04 (I'm playing through an Atomic FR and not gig level volume - just loud enough to annoy my kids who are studying for midterms). I would really appreciate if someone could chime in with their experience on what specifically changed between 3.04 and 4.0 and 5.0 to create such a difference in volume/gain. Is it merely a matter of raising the Level Knob in each preset?. I really don't want to "adjust drive and master, because if you start screwing around with Master and Drive, you might as well chuck out that preset and start from scratch. Which, as per my complaints, is something I'd really like to avoid doing . . . again.

Yes, I can stay at 3.04 "ad infinitum", but, that ain't the point and is not a very helpful comment.

I'm sorry to say that if you hold on to things as "I don't want to adjust Drive and Master", the Axe-Fx may not be the tool for you. Don't overlook that on real amps people change those controls too, even each day.

I totally hear you and see both ends of that spectrum. I did not mean to suggest re-tweaking your own personal presets would be trivial as it often is not depending on complexity of the update as well as the presets involved. I only have about 12 go to patches so it’s not a real big deal for me. My 5 to 10 min comment was based on factory presets. I also have no misconceptions about you guys who are on the front lines night in and night out having much more on the table and at risk. That in itself makes all the changes more stressful no doubt. I was truly shocked when Matt said he has artists changing firmware at sound checks.

I have nothing but respect for all you who use these tools to make your livings. I am almost embarrassed I am fortunate enough to have them myself as I am clearly not worthy. I would think your dilemma is as you stated, wanting one aspect of an update with respect to another. But I also think you cannot resist either or you would simply just implement major updates and skip a few in between. *SMILE* We just have to try!!! It’s all a matter of precious time and perspective. I am certainly glad it’s not a pressure situation for me as I really do enjoy the updates and treat them pretty much as a lesson plan on this educational roller coaster!

Oh here’s a little NAMM candy that I know you enjoy!!!
(Images deleted)

Thanks Cobbler, Soothing words are appreciated!

I'd like to respectfully suggest that updates be provided with more thorough release notes. This would go a looong way towards making the transitions smoother.
Something on the order of "The closest you'll get to a version 4 sound with version 5 is by setting bla bla bla at 40% and bla bla bla at 2.5. Leave bla bla at 0." (Referring to the new settings exposed). That would mean that I can load up my preset, follow the instructions and be at step 0, ready to indulge in the new parameters OR NOT, as time and inclination dictate.

I'm sure there must be some values to the new settings that reflect, at least closely if not exactly, NO CHANGE from the previous version. If that was available as a starting point, then progress would not be so chaotic for me.

So Cliff: That's my 0.02 on this.

With all the usual disclaimers about the fact that my post does not represent the opinion of anyone except me.

PS: Cobbler, thanks for the gallery. Definitely needed to see that!

uh whoa uh heh heh, yeah mmmm, you said it whoa, what just happend, uh, words, words, words, words....

Back
Top Bottom