Reset communication timeout without reboot

Nick Wood

Hi guys & gals

so, my axe edit sometimes has a communication timeout with the axe fx3 In periods of unuse. No problem in itself but is there a way to wake it up without having to reboot axe edit, which doesn’t always work either and I have to keep rebooting a couple of times. It could be that I’m running an old OS as I have a Mac Pro 2008 that can’t be upgraded any further but it would be great if there is a way to not have to faff about when it does bomb out.
thanks

At the risk of being accosted with rotten fruit and pitchforks: have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in again? Serious suggestion, not trying to be funny. Unplug the USB and wait 5 seconds before plugging it back in.

At the risk of being accosted with rotten fruit and pitchforks: have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in again? Serious suggestion, not trying to be funny. Unplug the USB and wait 5 seconds before plugging it back in.
Funny enough no I haven’t. I will try that today, although it’s buried round the back of my Mac under a cupboard. I sometimes turn the unit off if I get stuck which is essentially the same thing But if this is the simpler solution I’ll use the front socket. Thanks.

Yeah that’s a pain if it’s hard to reach. This came up somewhere else for a windows user, and I think there was some deep technical reason why unplugging the physical cable was a different thing to powering down the axe.

Yes I think there are some inherent usb issues that need ironing out. Sometimes when using as an interface it stops responding. Again, a reboot fixes this but it shouldn’t happen. None of my other usb devices and interfaces do it.

Were I you I’d be seriously considering a computer upgrade. I’m guessing you’ve already gotten your money’s worth out of a 2008 Anything...

Hi guys & gals

so, my axe edit sometimes has a communication timeout with the axe fx3 In periods of unuse. No problem in itself but is there a way to wake it up without having to reboot axe edit, which doesn’t always work either and I have to keep rebooting a couple of times. It could be that I’m running an old OS as I have a Mac Pro 2008 that can’t be upgraded any further but it would be great if there is a way to not have to faff about when it does bomb out.
thanks

Have you tried the latest USB drivers for your AXE, I was having connection dropping issues but after sending an email to support for the link to their latest USB drivers and installing all is now good.

Edit: this may rule out the AXE side of the equation.

I have a few week old MacBook and this happens all the time to me.

Have you tried the latest USB drivers for your AXE, I was having connection dropping issues but after sending an email to support for the link to their latest USB drivers and installing all is now good.

Edit: this may rule out the AXE side of the equation.

I have this problem and the new USB Driver didn't solve.

Yeah that’s a pain if it’s hard to reach. This came up somewhere else for a windows user, and I think there was some deep technical reason why unplugging the physical cable was a different thing to powering down the axe
This.
There are now lots and LOTs of threads here about similar issues. I had the issue too, I narrowed my particular problem down to the Axe USB port - No matter which USB cable I inserted it always felt every so slightly loose (or for want of a better phrase - just not snug enough or not as snug as my old Axe II anyway) and I had dropouts on both a PC and an Imac. I ended up crimping the cable end slightly and I have not had a dropout in almost a year now.

The only time I had this problem, it was because my USB drive had gone wonky, or the cable was bad. Over 3 MacBooks, many years, it was solved by new cables, or switching USB ports.

And you may have to question a 12 year old computer.

Unplug...WAIT, then plug back in. My only advice.

This.
There are now lots and LOTs of threads here about similar issues. I had the issue too, I narrowed my particular problem down to the Axe USB port - No matter which USB cable I inserted it always felt every so slightly loose (or for want of a better phrase - just not snug enough or not as snug as my old Axe II anyway) and I had dropouts on both a PC and an Imac. I ended up crimping the cable end slightly and I have not had a dropout in almost a year now.
Gonna try this one (could it be really that simple?)
btw if one follows all threads on this issue it seems to occur on both platforms, W10 and Mac alike, so it shouldn’t be driver related. I use a crappy w10 laptop: most likely it’s hardware related.

Back
Top Bottom