REQUEST: Steve Vai Lead patch

VidarAus

Experienced
Hi Guys,

I did a search, and it appears there has been some discussion regarding STeve Vai lead tones but no example patchs. Has anyone come close to a hot lead tone similar to Steve Vai on recordings such as For the Love of God or Tender Surrender?

Thanks in advance for any help or example patchs. God, I am in love with the Axe-fx (don't tell my girlfriend....)

VidarAus

WOW!no takers on this one?i don't have any patches to post for you,but,you can go to his sight and see the gear he used.he's got them listed by year and tour,with explanations from his tech.i know the Boss SD-1 has been in his pedal board for years,along with the digitech whammy,morley bad horsie wah.amps....early on was Carvin,then marshalls for a long time,Bogners showed up later on, around '96.not 100% on all this.check his webpage.he's pretty forthcoming about his equip.,but i'm sure he keeps a few secrets too himself.

eraserhead said:
he is a few[attachment=0:3iaetw0x]245 Legacy Lead.syx[/attachment:3iaetw0x]

Thank you very much for uploading these patches! I have not had a chance to try them yet, but as soon as I have a few minutes will give them a whirl.

I love this forum - so many great (and skillful!) people ready to help each other out.

I notice these patches have been downloaded over 30 times! I hope you get a few more thank you's!

Thanks again man, you rock!

VidarAus

eraserhead's patch is my favourite, even though its drive pedal causes way too much noise. To fix that I just turned it off and upped the gain on the amp

This can be taken a step further as well. In addition to bypassing the drive pedal, turn the gain down to 5 on the amp and put a Keeley DS-1 (with the switch up in "seeing eye mode") in front of the Axe-Fx with tone:0, distortion:0 and level:10. It sounds exactly like the song. Another thing you may need to do is put in a GEQ to change the sound of your pickups/guitar, since Vai's is pretty damn warm.

Check out my Keeley DS-1 patch.

eraserhead + prometh,

any chance you could please repost your patches. The upgrade to the new forum corrupted the existing patch files and they can't be loaded into axe-edit.

Much appreciated,
-S

TBH this has a lot to do with the guitar. With DiMarzio EVO pickups I'd say you can get that tone with any high gain amp. For other guitars a big mid boost in front of the amp should do the trick. Then you can have as much gain as you want and it's easy to play and it sounds clean. Delay. Done. Wah maybe.

i've already tryed out the above patches and on my equip they don't sounds good. I use a jem and a prestige with evo and there are alot of low end in those patches. Few months ago i've uploaded a vid on youtube while attempting to cover a Vai song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSykQVz9v_4

yes i know, a lot of gain but now, with less gain and sometimes with no drive block in front of the chain seem to be on the right way. Need more tweak to refine

i can share this patch if you ask

Last edited:
Ciao Marvell,

would you mind sharing the patch? :)
I have a Vai Lead patch too, it sounds pretty similar to mine, just wanted to check out how did you build it.
Check you pms for my email,

saluti da Salerno :)

Really hoping someone could re-post these patches. They seem to have been corrupted during the forum migration. I'd love to try them out.

it would be a good things talks about gear used since every preset can sound different from user to user, also if the preset is used with audio monitor or live equip like amp + cabs.

vai delay, legacy lead and for the love of god sounds bad with my gear (jem with original evo, axe fx, yamaha audio monitor)
ballerina sounds very well to me with the middle PU or middle-neck PU
hand on heart sounds good with or without drive block. Try it first without Drive block and adding more gain to both amps, set presence to fit your taste. always use tone and volume knobs on my guitar so set both to max level could transform the preset in a too distrorted sound. I like to use them :)

enjoy

Attachments

• 245 Legacy Lead.syx
    2 KB · Views: 236
  • 473 VAI DELAY.syx
    2 KB · Views: 225
  • 478 For the love of God.syx
    2 KB · Views: 238
  • ballerina.syx
    2 KB · Views: 266
  • hand on earth.syx
    2 KB · Views: 299