REQUEST: Simeon Harris ambient presets

Some are floating around, including lots of generous help and explanations.

Understandably, he's not sharing the majority, since they are part of his livelihood.

He'll probably explain it to you himself... :)

Just curious, can sounds like the Simeon Harris stuff be achieved on the Standard, or is that "synth-pad-esque" stuff pretty exclusive to the Ultra?

thanks,
Case

yeah, actually i grapple with this almost on a daily basis...to share or not to share...but i have to keep some stuff just for me.

i do try to help out wherever i can with advice and also attempt to make patches "on demand" if someone is looking for a particular sound...not always successfully, but i do my best...and i'll occasionally drop a patch into the forum if i happen to come up with something interesting that i think people might like.

as for recreating these on the standard...i expect some are possible, but i don't think the standard has got enough juice to run the more complex ones...i'm running the ultra at 85% cpu (or more) on a lot of them

wow how the hell did i not know about this guy. this is pretty much exactly what i want to do with my "solo" album hah. but with drums/bass and maybe some singing and violin. any ideas on how to even start a patch like these?

oh wait i didnt realize ur the man right above me. hah. any chance you could drop of the violiny and synth string patches? or give me the right direction to go inorder to get somethin similar? :). i love your music btw

Thanks. There is an old thread called axefxology which you can find on a search where I tried to explain how some of the patches worked, but looking at it again, it may not be as helpful as I hoped it would be at the time. It's worth having a look at the ambient presets, there are some really nice ones in banks B and C. They will give you some ideas.

The violins patch is just the pitch shifter up an octave with lots of delay. The strings patch is too complicated to describe here, although I did try to do so in the axefxology thread.

Sim

Hi Simeon,

you own an Ultra and an Axe II I guess? Are you planning on doing everything on the Axe II in the future? or do want to keep using both?
and what do you think is the big advantage (or maybe disadvantage) for the Axe II over the Ultra when it comes to the more ambient type sounds?

the II i had was on loan and has gone back now. my own one will be arriving soon. once i've got my patches up and running on the II, i'll be selling my ultra.

i don't think there is a big advantage, or disadvantage, for the II over the ultra when it comes to ambient sounds. the effects are mostly the same. there are some advantages - the tape delay is excellent, the sequencer has more steps and more parameters are available for modifier control. there are many other advantages to the II, of course, which are not fx related...

the II i the sequencer has more steps and more parameters are available for modifier control.

Can you elaborate on which manner you use the sequencer modifier? Is there a patch on your site in which you use this? I haven't dived into that territory yet. But it interest me.

Can you elaborate on which manner you use the sequencer modifier? Is there a patch on your site in which you use this? I haven't dived into that territory yet. But it interest me.

yeah, i think "synth array", "groove synth", "filterslice" and "techno chops" all use it

the sequencer and the arpeggiator are both very useful in getting synthy/rhythmic textures - "synthy arps" uses the arpeggiator

experiment by tying the sequencer to a filter and also to the balance parameter in a volume block. also try attaching to volume in a volume block. control in the whammy block. shift in the synth block. wherever you can apply a synced pattern of events. the pattern can be random, symmetrical, smooth, etc etc. and you can smooth out the transition from one sequencer stage to the next by using the damp parameter where you have it linked.

Back
Top Bottom