[request] Opeth - Ghost of Perdition - Solo Lead (stems inside)

Surjikal

In Ghost of Perdition from Opeth, there's a tiny little solo with a killer lead tone. It sounds sick. I'd love some pointers (both for cab / amp but also effects).

Here's what it sounds like (isolated):

That harmonic thing on the second bend sounds so good.

I can't help you with the tone except to say that he [Mikael Akerfeldt] used to use Laney amps on stage back in this era and a GT6 IIRC. Mike is a very under-rated guitar player who now plays 'second fiddle' to Fredrik Akesson who is a shred beast.
My favourite band of all time.

In Ghost of Perdition from Opeth, there's a tiny little solo with a killer lead tone. It sounds sick. I'd love some pointers (both for cab / amp but also effects).

Here's what it sounds like (isolated):

That harmonic thing on the second bend sounds so good.

Also one of my favourite lead tones ever (at 3:53), does anyone know what amp and cab that might be?

Also one of my favourite lead tones ever (at 3:53), does anyone know what amp and cab that might be?

I don't know if they still do it, but pre keys they posted the entire studio gear list on their discography page of the site. But you also need the chops and phrasing haha.

I haven't revisited in a long time, but I was a big fan of pre-70s-prog Opeth in the early 2000's.

Live Mikael uses a JCM 900 with 1960 cab (G12T75) and Fredrik uses JVM with V30’s. Start from there.

I really like their newer stuff without the Cookie Monster channeling Satan vocals
Yeah the newer stuff is cool but I miss cookie - Mikael was the best in the business at that but I reckon it's a young mans game with vocal chords to burn!

Back
Top Bottom