REQUEST: Men at Work - Down Under tone

Secret80'sMan

Experienced
We've been playing this song forever, I even sing it or try to at least and after critically listening to the song noticed that my tone isn't even in the neighborhood. I'm not sure what pickup or type of guitar to use so not sure where to even start.

Is that a Roland Jazz Chorus? Any help crafting this tone would be super helpful guys.

Curious to see how this dissects.

Related: I was working on Don't Dream It's Over last night...man, those 80's tones are tough for me to sort out. That spanky clean is my nemesis for tones.

And just 'cause I like to talk about Colin Hays: have you heard his Man at Work CD? Just him, acoustic, doing a bunch of MAW and solo stuff. His solo version of Overkill is...wow.

80's man, keep on rockin' in the free world!

I would play this with the Princeton, a brittle and bright amp on the verge of breakup. Maybe with a tad of chorus and small spring reverb. Bridge pickup.

Curious to see how this dissects.

Related: I was working on Don't Dream It's Over last night...man, those 80's tones are tough for me to sort out. That spanky clean is my nemesis for tones.

And just 'cause I like to talk about Colin Hays: have you heard his Man at Work CD? Just him, acoustic, doing a bunch of MAW and solo stuff. His solo version of Overkill is...wow.

I hear ya man, I wouldn't mind having a convincing Crowded House tone either. We worked on that song years ago and put it on the shelf because it was never quite there but I have been thinking of dusting it off so thanks for putting it back on my radar iaresee!

I haven't heard Colin's CD but just checked Spotify and it isn't there so may have to check iTunes although I just heard Overkill acoustic from the Scrubs soundtrack and you're right it is great. Goes to show what a talent that guy is. A shame about Greg the sax player dying as I woulda paid good money for a bonfide Men At Work reunion.

Chef! I will try that bud and report back so thanks for the insight and suggestion. Any cab suggestions? Been using a bunch of the new OH V2 stuff but more for the dirty stuff so am open to whatever for this tone I just wanna get it right.

Back
Top Bottom