Request: Guthrie Govan patch or advice

uncle remus

Hi all,

I'm covering some Guthrie Govan songs, 'Sevens' and 'Wonderful Slippery Thing' and finding it very difficult to find anything that will replicate his tones well on the AFX.

Does anyone have any patches or even some tips or advice on amps/cabs/fx to use etc. so I can achieve a similar sound?

All help is much appreciated!

I'm pretty sure Guthrie used a Cornford RK100 (Corncob R100 model) to record the Erotic Cakes album, so that would be a good place to start. Though, I don't think I've ever seen him use one live as he used to play a Mk50H II and now uses a Roadhouse.

One thing that really sticks out to me about Guthrie's sound is that its very bright. Certainly not in a harsh sense, but it cuts through the mix really well. This may be due to the amp settings he uses, his guitars or, more likely, just the way that he plays.

grafloy said:
I'm pretty sure Guthrie used a Cornford RK100 (Corncob R100 model) to record the Erotic Cakes album, so that would be a good place to start. Though, I don't think I've ever seen him use one live as he used to play a Mk50H II and now uses a Roadhouse.

One thing that really sticks out to me about Guthrie's sound is that its very bright. Certainly not in a harsh sense, but it cuts through the mix really well. This may be due to the amp settings he uses, his guitars or, more likely, just the way that he plays.

That's right. Try it with the 4x12 V30 cab (or a 4x12 V30 and 4x12 German combination).

Back
Top Bottom