• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Wish Request: Global adjustable Fletcher-Munson Curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris

Legend!
Exactly. Not listening to what is said. THIS HAS BEEN DONE. Why do you ignore that?
This has been done on consumer audio electronics devices that play back pre-recorded music. Meant for home use in a room of an approximate same size. That absolutely matters compared to live audio.

chris

Legend!
This whole thing can be easily solved. Anyone simply needs to plug their Axe into a device that has this loudness button and press it. Does it work? Does it not work? Chances are it will not work the same way as pre-recorded music in a room in a house.

paulasbell

Inspired
Ok. Explain to me why known differences in human perception based on frequency and sound level which have been accounted for in circuitry are impossible in the Fractal world. I’m listening.
I can't. Because I know where my expertise lies, and where it doesn't. And my expertise doesn't lie in electronic design.

Something tells me that yours doesn't either. Yet, you seem to put your insight on par with someone who clearly knows thousands of times more on the topic of electronic design than you do.

Dunning-Kruger.

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
The "Loudness" controls in old Hi-Fi gear was nothing more than a bass/treble boost. It's a gimmick. It was supposed to compensate for the reduced sensitivity of human hearing at lower volumes. It's not accurate, never was and can never be. There are a myriad of reasons why, the most glaring is that you have no way of knowing what the SPL is (without a meter). Since equal loudness contours are dependent on SPL you can't compensate if you don't know the SPL.

The Axe-Fx has no idea of the sensitivity of the amplifier and speakers connected. Therefore it can't possibly know what the SPL is and concomitantly can't know how to compensate.

Here's an article on what's wrong with "Loudness" controls:
https://www.avhub.com.au/features/hi-fi/loudness-controls---why-theyre-just-wrong-473551

This has been done on consumer audio electronics devices that play back pre-recorded music. Meant for home use in a room of an approximate same size. That absolutely matters compared to live audio.
I give up. You guys can be content with whatever. My notion that FAS can offer an adjustable loudness curve like some hardware I owned is misplaced. Whatever.

I can't. Because I know where my expertise lies, and where it doesn't. And my expertise doesn't lie in electronic design.

Something tells me that yours doesn't either. Yet, you seem to put your insight on par with someone who clearly knows thousands of times more on the topic of electronic design than you do.

Dunning-Kruger.
Thanks for proving my point.

unix-guy

Legend!
The "Loudness" controls in old Hi-Fi gear was nothing more than a bass/treble boost. It's a gimmick. It was supposed to compensate for the reduced sensitivity of human hearing at lower volumes. It's not accurate, never was and can never be. There are a myriad of reasons why, the most glaring is that you have no way of knowing what the SPL is (without a meter). Since equal loudness contours are dependent on SPL you can't compensate if you don't know the SPL.

The Axe-Fx has no idea of the sensitivity of the amplifier and speakers connected. Therefore it can't possibly know what the SPL is and concomitantly can't know how to compensate.

Here's an article on what's wrong with "Loudness" controls:
https://www.avhub.com.au/features/hi-fi/loudness-controls---why-theyre-just-wrong-473551
Fan Boy!

James Nash

Inspired
Maybe stating the obvious, but anyone interested in loudness curves can easily import one into the Axe as an IR, yes ? Not continuously variable, but with a little experimenting probably not hard to find something useful for quiet home use...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom