Request/challenge : Knopfler's tone on "Sultans of Swing", "Alchemy" version

fremen

Axe-Master
Vendor
Programming a good clean sound for the studio version of "Sultans of Swing" is easy, but for the slightly overdriven sound of the "Alchemy" version, all my attempts have failed… Which amp model, which drive, which IR would you use for that ?

Programming a good clean sound for the studio version of "Sultans of Swing" is easy, but for the slightly overdriven sound of the "Alchemy" version, all my attempts have failed… Which amp model, which drive, which IR would you use for that ?

A strat, for sure, is what you need first. I'd guess he was playing a blackface Fender something or other. Try the twin or bassmaster.

Of course, I could be dead wrong on the amp. Sounds like a fender to me, though, and not quite as warm and spongy as a Princeton.

I've seen the more mature Knopfler using Orange 4x12 cabs on stage but I doubt that he was using them way back when Alchemy was recorded.

Thanks guys. I'm wandering if he's just overdriving his Fender amp or using a drive pedal on a clean amp settings

The original was a Fender Vibrolux I believe if memory serves from old guitar mags here in the UK. There's a few pictures from the era 77/78 that show the amp. I was about 18 months old at the time so can't remember! I think he kept that amp for a while.

He used Boogies before the Soldanos, that was a bit later.

Hope that helps

Knew it was a fender! Wonder if he's ever tried Riveras... Can't imagine him playing a boogie - not a good fit. Don't know soldano.

Thanks guys ! funny_polymath, you don't hear the sound distorting ? The studio version is clean, but the alchemy one is not, that's for sure... I just don't know how to come close to this sound. I have a USA Strat 50th anniversary with stock pickups

There was a Music Man RD, too, back in the days AFAIK.
I have a 68 Vibrolux here. Doesn't sound close when it breaks up.

I'd forgotten - he and Clapton were big name users late 70s early 80s. That could be the amp. Didn't he use the big HD130? Those musicman amps have quite a unique overdrive, I had an RD50 years ago. Didn't care for the drive but I was 18 and into Satriani....

Boogie's are very fender on the cleans. Defiantly used by the man from time to time in the 80s. He also liked EVM12L drivers.

That's an interesting site. I finished up with one or two ex knopfler rack items that are listed there.

I'd forgotten - he and Clapton were big name users late 70s early 80s. That could be the amp. Didn't he use the big HD130? Those musicman amps have quite a unique overdrive, I had an RD50 years ago. Didn't care for the drive but I was 18 and into Satriani....

Boogie's are very fender on the cleans. Defiantly used by the man from time to time in the 80s. He also liked EVM12L drivers.
I had some old blonde Princeton-sized Boogie back in '85. never could touch my Princeton for tone. Did the boogie OD thing OK, but on cleans... no contest.

JTM45

You inspired me to focus on this tomorrow... one of my favorite songs, and my favorite version. Surprising I didn't get to it on my own yet!

Wikipedia says the album was recorded July 22-23, 1983. According to the following site:
http://ds.mk-guitar.com/amps.htm#1982

Live sound in that time was "Mesa Boogie heads with Marshall 4 x 12" cabinets with Electro Voice speakers"

Mesa Boogie would not have been my first choice to check out, and I never use those. I always try for a Fenderish sound but that high-end distortion isn't right. The sound is more mellow, hopefully will find some Aha moments tomorrow :)

Effects in that era (these guys seriously get into it):
http://www.mk-guitar.com/category/gear/effects-gear/

cornish-rack-MK-LoG-700.jpg

The effects are (from top to bottom):
MicMix DynaFlanger
Deltalab Digital Delay DL-4
MicMix Master Room Reverb XL-305
Roland Space Echo SRE-555
Roland Graphic Equalizer

For the frequency bands in the Equalizer, I'm going to assume it's close to thes:
adg-964b378d5ec74d020ff245fa10921607.jpg

Should be able to emulate the mid-peak and two valleys with a PEQ. Looks like space carved out for drums above and bass below.

Last edited:
Mark Knopfler used Jim Kelley amps at that time, most probably with EV speakers. He still uses EV speakers in his cabinets today, both with his Komet and Reinhardt amps

Back
Top Bottom