Replacing your AX8 USB Type B jack

Any idea, what is the socket in the middle of the circuit board - it's black, visible eg 3:15, similar to an Ethernet socket?

I hear ya on that but, the only problem is it was shipped to me that way! So at least this time, it was not a cable being stepped on or unit abuse :)

hey guys, I did the same think, stepped the cable into the USB port and that little white part got stucked in the USB cable, and the metal pins are a bit bent so I'll need a replacement part. Where can I get one of this? Mike said any TypeB USB Jack would do the job but I just want a confirmation.

hey guys, I did the same think, stepped the cable into the USB port and that little white part got stucked in the USB cable, and the metal pins are a bit bent so I'll need a replacement part. Where can I get one of this? Mike said any TypeB USB Jack would do the job but I just want a confirmation.

I bought a 5 pack of white colored ones for $6.81 from amazon but there's a 5 pack of black ones for $5.99. The only reason I bought the white for more $ is because the black were out of stock at the time. Make sure you have some good solder wick to remove the solder or else it will be a PITA to remove the USB port from the board. These USB ports also work great for replacing defective Focusrite Scarlett USB ports.

# White 5 pack
Search Amazon.com for B00MCM0Z3Q

# Black 5 pack
Search Amazon.com for B00XP5D5AO

Cool, can you also recommend a good solder wick?

I bought the wrong kind, which is why I mentioned it. I bought unfluxed solder wick and it was horrible. From what I've read, stay away from unfluxed and rosin fluxed. I plan to buy the No clean fluxed wick. Some brands call it desoldering braid or desoldering wick. A lot of people recommend Chemtronics brand. Also, I read that the flux in the wick can dry up, so don't try to save $ buying a large amount if you don't desolder stuff often.

Here's some info:
# https://forum.digikey.com/t/choosing-the-right-desoldering-braid/1723
# http://www.bestsoldering.com/what-is-the-best-desoldering-braid/

Hello everyone,

I made a short (unprofessional) video of me replacing my USB jack in my AX8. I hope is it will help others do the same should the need arise.

Cheers

Great Video !! I haven’t had to open my AX8 yet, but your video step-by-step will take away the mystery. THANK YOU !

I heard all the USB stories, so I picked up a Type-B extension cable. I figure there will be no wear and tear on the panel mount !!
So far, so good !

This is similar to what I have:
USB 2.0 Type-B Printer Cable,SinLoon(2-Pack) USB 2.0 B Female to Left Angle+Right Angle B Male Printer Short Extension Cable,for Printer, Scanner, Mobile HDD and More (L-R) Amazon product ASIN B01LPS1I2Y

Hello everyone,

I made a short (unprofessional) video of me replacing my USB jack in my AX8. I hope is it will help others do the same should the need arise.

Cheers

Thanks - gives me confidence to replace broken usb on my old L6 Pod HD still in service

Hi. Does anyone know if the USB connector on the AX8 supplies power (to recharge a USB-powered Line 6 wireless)?

Hi. Does anyone know if the USB connector on the AX8 supplies power (to recharge a USB-powered Line 6 wireless)?
It doesn’t. USB-B is a peripheral device port, a device that acts like a printer or scanner. USB-A is the host side of the connection, like the computer, and is the side that would supply power.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom