Replacing fans in a Matrix GT800FX

tohmy

Inspired
My ears are getting very fatigued from having the Matrix GT800FX fan noise in a very quiet environment and I`m contemplating changing the fans to ones a bit more quiet. I guess the 2U version (GT1000FX) would have better suited my needs...
Anyway... Having just build a new super quiet HTPC, changing the fans in the poweramp should not be that hard of a task.

Here are my options for 40 mm fans:

Noiseblocker BlackSilentFan: NB-BlackSilentFan 40mm

Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX: Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"!

In my HTPC I did put three Noiseblocker fans and they are really super quiet.

Has anyone changed the fans in the Matrix amps or experiences with other fan brands?
I really love the amp, but the fan noise drives me and my band colleges crazy :/

Hi there,
I am sorry the noise is a little too high for you.
The fans in the GT800FX and GT1000FX 1u are 38mm
You may be able to fit a 40mm fan in, but expect that you might have to do a little filing of the fan chassis.

Alternatively, if you would rather upgrade to the GT1000FX 2u send me an email and we will organise something for you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

My best regards
Matt

matt@matrixamplification.com

I can chime in and say that if you need quiet for recording or just for extreme levels of domestic tranquility the 2U is to all intents 99.9 per cent SILENT. As I prefer to play my Axe-FX through a cab than through my monitors at home, it's a nice little feature, even a touch surreal, to have zero noise when every other amp I've ever used has an immediate vooooom as soon as it's switched on. And no qualms about miking a cab even with the Matrix right next to it. Would probably do vocals with my Se Reflexion filter too.

Really happy with it.

Hi Matt, Thanks for the answer. I`ll shoot you an email in a bit:)

I will be using the silicon slicks instead if normal screws. Those are a bit more flexible if the fan`s won`t fit 100%.

Not sure if I should go for the XM1 or XM2 model.
XM1
Rated Voltage: 10-12V, Start Voltage: 9V, Input Power: 0.36W
RPM: 2800 (+/- 10%), Airflow: 4.9 m3/h (Max), Airflow (CFM): 2.9CFM (Max)
Acoustical Noise: ca. 11 dB/A, MTBF (25°C): 20,000 Std. Connector: Standard 3-pin

XM2
Rated Voltage: 9-12V, Start Voltage: 8V, Input Power: 0.48W
RPM: 3800 (+/- 10%), Airflow: 6.7 m3/h (Max), Airflow (CFM): 3.9CFM (Max)
Acoustical Noise: ca. 14 dB/A, MTBF (25°C): 20,000 Std. Connector: Standard 3-pin

I`m guessing the XM2 with 3800RPM will do the cooling better:)

After reading a few reviews I think the Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX might be the way to go. It runs at 4500RPM (3700 with the Low-Noise Adapter) at 17,9 dB(A), (12,9 dB(A)with the Low-Noise Adapter).
Airflow 8,2 m3/h
Airflow Low-Noise Adapter 6,6 m3/h

Test: http://www.frostbyte-reviews.net/reviews/cases_cooling/noctua/noctua_ nf_a4.html
Test: Noctua A-Series - Mega-Labs.com - Computer Hardware and Gadget Reviews
Test: Noctua A-Series Fans in Review
Test: Review: Noctua NF-A9, NF-A6, NF-A4 Fans » Tech Made Easy

Does anyone know how many RPM the stock Matrix fan runs at?

Just saw this older thread. Tohmy, was wondering if you ever replaced the fans in your Matrix? Thanks for any insight.

Thanks much. If it's not too much to ask, what was the problem you mention that you "could not get them running the right way"?

Appreciate your help

Im assuming you mean the fan blades were turning in the opposite direction to what they should have been? Id have thought that quite simple to overcome if so. Id assume (though you should never do that), as its a DC fan, that switching the pos and neg (black and red) wires round in the connector would have solved the issue.

Im assuming you mean the fan blades were turning in the opposite direction to what they should have been? Id have thought that quite simple to overcome if so. I'd assume (though you should never do that), as its a DC fan, that switching the pos and neg (black and red) wires round in the connector would have solved the issue.

As a general note to anyone experimenting with fans in amplifiers, (not that we would recommend you try and change the fans in a Matrix amp) ... modern small fans are almost always "DC Brushless"; or to put it another way, if you reverse the wiring, they either don't do anything or blow up and release the magic smoke :)

As a general note to anyone experimenting with fans in amplifiers, (not that we would recommend you try and change the fans in a Matrix amp) ... modern small fans are almost always "DC Brushless"; or to put it another way, if you reverse the wiring, they either don't do anything or blow up and release the magic smoke :)

So are you are saying is that we should ensure the 'magic smoke' can't escape by using silicon sealant and tape? :D

Fair enough.

Must say though - its common practice in my new job. Thats photocopiers/printers. If we need to replace the fan - out parent coy (god bless them) tend to buy cheap locally sourced fans rather than manufacturers fans. Sometimes they spin the wrong way - and the coy policy is to reverse the windings. Ive seen it done twice in the 3 months Ive worked for them - in both cases it worked fine. Still Im not up on "brushless" designs - and its possible the ones we use still have brushes I guess.

At this point I am curious if anyone has ever successfully replaced the fans in a Matrix Power Amp to get lower noise, and if "yes" which fan worked... ?

Hi there,
I am sorry the noise is a little too high for you.
The fans in the GT800FX and GT1000FX 1u are 38mm
You may be able to fit a 40mm fan in, but expect that you might have to do a little filing of the fan chassis.

Alternatively, if you would rather upgrade to the GT1000FX 2u send me an email and we will organise something for you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

My best regards
Matt

matt@matrixamplification.com

Just wanted to chime in and say amazing customer service!!!

Hello! I need to find a fan replacement. I have the Matrix GT1000FX 1u and one fan is not working and it needs to be a little pushed with a pen to start working. If someone knows where to find it i will apreciate a lot

Attachments

• 6418B87C-24C3-4E95-89BC-AEE1A66C51C1.jpeg
    6418B87C-24C3-4E95-89BC-AEE1A66C51C1.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 19
Hello! I need to find a fan replacement. I have the Matrix GT1000FX 1u and one fan is not working and it needs to be a little pushed with a pen to start working. If someone knows where to find it i will apreciate a lot
You can get spares from us at Matrix, just send an email to support@matrixamplification.com and let us know where you are located and we can send the correct link to the spares.

Back
Top Bottom