Replacement for ASM12

kevrock

Experienced
so I love the sound of my asm12, but not the heaviness of it. what do you guy recommend for a lighter powered speaker that will give me the same response as the Friedman. thanks for the help in advance.

i'm not sure anything else gives the same response as the asm12 - its design is what makes it sound and respond how it does.

lighter speakers usually have plastic cases, rather than birch or other heavy wood. so that will change the tone for sure. i think if you choose a lighter speaker, you'll have to compromise on the tone, or at least change it to match yourself.

Xitone is great. Sound and build quality is awesome... If you want great with less weight check out the AccuGroove stuff (more expensive than Xitone). They are surprisingly light.

I also have the ASM-12 and gigged with it this weekend. I hated every second of carrying it in and out (next time a cart WILL be involved) but, I love the sound of it so much. Even with the heaviness and the horribly placed handle, I'm still glad I went with it.

Had an ASM and did exactly what you are doing. I travelled with that thing for a good 150 shows and it got pretty beat up due to the form factor of being slammed on the ground every night even though i had it in a Tuki bag.

I went with a Matrix FR12 in a gator rolling combo case. Its bulkier yet lighter. The rolling case makes transport sooooooo easy and i can set the amp on the case itself to get it up higher to my ears to compensate for not being a wedge. It might not have the low balls that the ASM does, but my cab behind me is typically just to fill the room with some extra sound and give sound on stage, but i primarily go to FOH.

Friedman has another unit out now, the ACM-12, in a guitar cab form factor. Supposedly sounds identical to the ASM. I wonder if it shed any weight, but I personally think traveling with a cab is easier than with a wedge. Plus it looks nicer. ;-)

Actually the ASM-12 would have been my first choice. It seems to sound excellent and has this guitar amp vibe. But the weight was also an issue for me. So I ended up with the Matrix Q12-A, which sounded good to me at home and band practice as well as on stage so far. It's light weigt and compact. But to be fair, I cannot compare to any other FRFR and mostly play clean...

Back
Top Bottom