replacement footswitches for FAMC/Liquid Foot

jamongrande

Inspired
Despite FAMC's issues as a company, I still rely on and enjoy my LF12+ for a few reasons (controlling multiple midi devices, reassigning exp pedal assignments through IA's, complex strings of messages). Because of FAMC's issues as a company, I'm worried that I now have a bad footswitch (#3) that I can't directly get a replacement for. Does anyone here know the replacement part before I crack my unit open?

I'm of course also considering another controller like the RJM Gt's, Morningstars, and FC12's. But any of those would require quite a few hours of programming and rethinking my user experience. And more money than a footswitch.

Any help appreciated in advance!

edit: I got the footswitch working again once I could test that the actual contact was functioning. By loosening and repositioning the mechanical footswitch to the slide, it would engage the contact. I'm guessing the contact is on the way out, though, so I would still appreciate the part # if known.

Last edited:
I remember there was a thread w/ parts number quite a while back, but I can't find it. There are only a few screws to pop open the 12+, so I'd suggest just removing them and see if you can see a number on them.

@GotMetalBoy has experience with the FAMC and the thread @warlockII mentiones, I think he is referring to the thread started by GotMetalBoy.

The FAMC's are a great piece of gear / ecosystem. Bummer if it will be lost due to support for it.

Bummer if it will be lost due to support for it.
Unfortunately, this song is played over and over in music gear, and especially in modeling equipment. FAMC did, indeed, make great gear. Support has been abysmal to non-existent for many years. I couldn’t even get them to respond so I could make a purchase… and this was a decade or so back.

It’s a common thing for businesses jumping on leading edge technologies to fail, especially in a smaller niche market. And man, have we seen example after example in the modeling field. That’s what makes Fractal Audio such an awesome company. They’ve expanded their line on a plan, and within what they could support well, instead of just grabbing every dollar. They are one of the few exceptions to the big-splash-then-fast-fade that’s been the norm in this field.

To the OP, I agree that getting inside and seeing what’s there and how it’s connected will likely be your best and fastest path to finding parts.

@jamongrande I don't think we were ever able to find part numbers. You can try to email FAMC support. Jeff, the owner, has only replied a couple times in the past 4 years but you might get lucky. If he has any foot switches or LCD's left, he usually ships them for free if you're in USA. There's also a Facebook FAMC Music/Liquid Foot Discussion you can ask: https://www.facebook.com/groups/216599485472143

I think RJM uses similar foot switches:
https://shop.rjmmusic.com/mastermind-pbc-lt-switch-actuator/

I have a LF+ 12+ and PRO+ and RJM Mastermind GT22. I still use my LF+ and only have a RJM because I got a really good price on a used one that was in new condition. I like the LF+ better because I'm short, so it's hard to stand on one foot and keep balance with my guitar and reach the 3rd and 4th rows of foot switches on the RJM because they're spaced out more than the LF+.

Found the post I think others are referring to:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/update-to-famc-liquid-foot-website.152347/post-1825048

Here's a post with pictures regarding the LCD's but I can't find the one for the foot switches:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...for-a-famc-liquid-foot-lf.173802/post-2106995

Last edited:
Thanks for the help and links!

After opening it up, it seems like either the tact switch attached to the PCB is going bad, or the actuator switch that pokes the tact has been misaligned somehow (don't know if I'm getting nomenclature on switches right, so please bear with me). I can click the tact and it doesn't always trigger; as if one portion of the switch is no longer responsive. I can also hear the click of tact using the actuator, but it doesn't necessarily trigger. Loosening the actuator and moving what little I can, I can get it to work though not reliably.

My main thought is that its the tact switch, as I've had tons of those go out on all sorts of other pedals. But I definitely do not trust my soldering skills to directly replace something attached to pcb.

And the form factor of the 12+ is perfect for my reach and stature as well. The GT22 would be enormous for me. The FC6 is the right size but not enough buttons, nor control over multi-device configurations.

For now, I'll just put some non-essential functionality on that footswitch as much as possible, hit the tact switch some compressed air or cleaner, and tweak the actuator's positioning.

Wow, it's great to see people posting info about the LF. I feel like I'm on Gilligan's Island. Marooned. No tech support. No active LF forum. Left for dead. Nice to hear about some of the same issues.

I have been having issues w the buttons myself. It started w one and I finally took it apart. Then a couple more failed. I believe I possibly didn't put it back together carefully enough because upon repeating the process (a few times), suddenly they worked again. For me, I think the button itself (tact) was ok in most cases. It was just the spring not landing right upon reassembly. (has to come down very straight). There was one tact that was a little stubborn, though, which made me think it may be difficult to find a replacement if it's on its way to failing.

If I ever need replacements, I've got this post as a starting point.

Thanks for the help and links!

After opening it up, it seems like either the tact switch attached to the PCB is going bad, or the actuator switch that pokes the tact has been misaligned somehow (don't know if I'm getting nomenclature on switches right, so please bear with me). I can click the tact and it doesn't always trigger; as if one portion of the switch is no longer responsive. I can also hear the click of tact using the actuator, but it doesn't necessarily trigger. Loosening the actuator and moving what little I can, I can get it to work though not reliably.

My main thought is that its the tact switch, as I've had tons of those go out on all sorts of other pedals. But I definitely do not trust my soldering skills to directly replace something attached to pcb.

And the form factor of the 12+ is perfect for my reach and stature as well. The GT22 would be enormous for me. The FC6 is the right size but not enough buttons, nor control over multi-device configurations.

For now, I'll just put some non-essential functionality on that footswitch as much as possible, hit the tact switch some compressed air or cleaner, and tweak the actuator's positioning.

On page 10 of the LF+ Manual it says:
Maintenance
Buttons: Periodically tighten the top nuts holding the 8, 12, or 24 buttons on the top of the unit. Normal use and excessive wear and tear could loosen these nuts over time. DO NOT UNSCREW THE BUTTONS FROM THE TOP PANEL FOR ANY REASON. Purposefully loosening the nuts from the buttons could cause damage and will require maintenance from the inside of the device to tighten.

And the form factor of the 12+ is perfect for my reach and stature as well. The GT22 would be enormous for me.
I have/use the GT22, and it is large. In case you didn’t know, there is also a GT10 and GT16 in the Mastermind series. The performance and support at RJM is very much like Fractal, with direct involvement from Ron in the forums. Top shelf stuff all around.

Back
Top Bottom