Replaced Stock Fan In My Early Axe-Fx III - Results Are Very Impressive

The stock fan is 12V, so you may have some issues running a 5V fan on the same power (i.e., Noctua specifically says a 5V fan can be damaged by a 12V header).

You are right. I'm an idiot and ordered the wrong one :tearsofjoy:

Saqué mi Axe-FX III de un estuche y lo puse en mi escritorio. Nunca noté el ruido del ventilador hasta que hice esto.
Leí que algunos de los primeros Axe-FX III pueden haber tenido los tornillos demasiado apretados y los buenos resultados con la gente reemplazando sus ventiladores originales con el ventilador Noctua NF-A8 ULN, así que lo probé.

Estoy asombrado por los resultados.

View attachment 81208
Hello. Is It Noctua NF-A8 ULN - 80mm fan, and 3.Pin??

steviewonder.jpg

Great catch! I wish I could say it was intended! LOL!

I just opened mine up to check on the Noctua fan after I guess a year and a half and all is well. I did take out the low noise adapter since I have it racked away from me and I can't hear 30db from six feet away.
The lid actually hums louder than the fan due to vibration. I back on of the screws up a bit over the LCD screen to alleviate that.

Fans on Axe-Fx units have been annoying as long as I've used them. I had to replace the fan on my Axe-Fx 2 MK 1 with a better 60mm one and then basically shock mount it so it doesn't resonate with the lid. At least on the 3 it's no longer mounted like that.

At the cost of the 3 I would honestly want it to be pretty much silent. If I can make my computer that puts out probably 5x the heat practically silent then it's not some insurmountable effort on the Axe-Fx.

I went down a little bit of a rabbit hole this morning trying to compare fan specs...the JF0815-1L is the Axe-FX III stock fan.

Note that Noctuas are considered top-tier for PC building, albeit pricey. They do come with the "low noise" adapters referenced below (they're basically inline voltage dividers, I believe).

zKjZkSS.png

Where did you get the specs for the stock fan?
I cannot find any info for the specific JF0815B1LM-R. (stock fan)
Only JF0815B1L or JF0815B1M and that actually makes a big difference.

Where did you get the specs for the stock fan?
I cannot find any info for the specific JF0815B1LM-R. (stock fan)
Only JF0815B1L or JF0815B1M and that actually makes a big difference.
I used the spec sheet here: https://www.vtm.co.uk/PDF/Jamicon/Fan Catalogue_201512.pdf

There isn't an exact match for the model code, but I'm nearly positive that the highlighted line below aligns to the fan in the Axe-FX 3. Note that the amperage (0.06 A) matches what the fan label says (and is the only 80x80x15 fan that does match the amperage).

The difference between the full model code in the Axe-FX 3 fan (JF08151LM-R) and the spec sheet (JF08151L) are as follows, according to the "Part Number System of DC Axial Fan" decoder on page 4.

M in the "function" slot = Tachometer signal output with Auto-restart
R in the "environment slot" = RoHS compliant

I'm assuming that the spec sheet doesn't list every single combination of those those last two designations for the sake of brevity.

U06lxQr.png

Reactions: Ole
I've never heard the fan in my III. It's either super quiet or I've never gotten it hot enough to turn on.

The fan in my Ultra was loud though. I finally replaced it when I got my III.

I hardly hear the fan on my Axe-FX III. My laptop is much louder, but that one's five years old. The PC I built early this year has the potential to be almost silent, but I usually run fans at a higher speed. If I put it in silent mode some fans will hardly run, some will come to a halt. The AIO cooler on the CPU is only audible if there is absolutely no other sound in the room. I doubt changing the fan in the Axe-FX III would make a difference for me. Is there a way to make it spin faster? I don't think I've ever managed to get it to a temperature where the RPM started to increase significantly.

Back
Top Bottom