Replace Axe Fx II with Ax8?

mcmanaway.8

As the title would suggest, I'm considering replacing my current set up (Axe Fx II & MFC-101) with an Ax8 and I'm looking for you guys to talk me through the decision. I love my Axe Fx... but if I can replicate what I do now in a more simple solution and hopefully pocket a few bucks -- why not?

So you guys have some context: I usually play in a live setting 3-4 times a month, going direct-in (XLR). I also record via USB into Logic on my own.

My initial reasons against it are lack of USB recording (which can be alleviated by purchasing an interface and recording via XLR) and the lower CPU.

I'm looking for any and all input here -- it's much appreciated!

I made that switch a few months ago. No regrets! I used FracTool to bring over some Scenes and patches. Worked perfectly. Live the AX8 is a huge upgrade IMO. And I love the package, after hauling the rack around for three years, plus an old POD HD gig bag with the MFC. Got heavy fast! Life is much simpler now. It sounds amazing. And the headroom issues are not hard to deal with. Axe-Fx sits in the corner and will be sold soon. I will buy a second AX8 for a backup. After trying most of the "lesser" units, there is nothing that can touch Fractal. That 3D tone is so addictive!

Simple....
If you don't need the extras that the axe-fx ii + mfc has compared to the ax8 and you need to travel light....its a no brainer :)

I did get the ax8 but realized that i cant live with that way of switching i went back to my axe fx2 with mfc101 + expansion
i use only 5 presets with stomp and scenes, and also dual amps sometimes, i ran into cpu all the time on the ax8 which would mean that i would have to have at least 25 presets to cover the same amount of songs that i do....main complain cpu power and switches actually i thought it was a bit more glassy sounding...

Attachments

• axe rig.jpg
    axe rig.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 68
I did get the ax8 but realized that i cant live with that way of switching i went back to my axe fx2 with mfc101 + expansion
i use only 5 presets with stomp and scenes, and also dual amps sometimes, i ran into cpu all the time on the ax8 which would mean that i would have to have at least 25 presets to cover the same amount of songs that i do....main complain cpu power and switches actually i thought it was a bit more glassy sounding...

that little light strip is cool, is that something custom made?

I had the exact same idea a few months ago. Got a REALLY good deal on a local sale for an AXE and Fractal EV1. I was stoked to try to lighten my load and expedite my setup at shows. Didn't take me long to realize that I'd have to build a LOT more patches for the AX8. If I started with the AX8 I'm sure I'd be in heaven, but since I usually use each patch for 5-6 songs, I like having the versatility of the MFC and extra CPU the AFXIIXL gives me. Most of my patches have both amp blocks with different amps in the X/Y state for seamless transitions. I also record with my XL, but don't reamp too often. If Fractal came out with say the AxeFx3 that had more power than the XL and was an all-in-one foot pedal design, I'd immediately be on the waiting list.

I won't be much help... I have both, and if you listen to me you'll end up spending money instead of saving it!

The AX8 is awesome. I think you'd love it. In addition to your Axe Fx... lol

Hey @mcmanaway.8 , consider closing one of your duplicate threads and just using the other (maybe the one you posted in the AX8 section). :)
Not quite sure how to delete a thread... I wasn't sure which section would be best, but posting both got me numerous helpful responses so mission accomplished!

Not quite sure how to delete a thread... I wasn't sure which section would be best, but posting both got me numerous helpful responses so mission accomplished!
You could just link to the other thread and ask people to respond there instead.

Downgrading from the Axe FX to the AX-8? Not in a million years! It's like ColemanEuclid said, if I had gone straight to the AX-8 I'd be in heaven. Coming from the Axe-FX 2 it's like a giant step backwards.

In a way its weird though. When Line 6 comes with a new unit there is no difference between the floorboard version and the rack unit in capability, although the rack units tend to have some extra ways to hook stuff up in the back. With Fractal the rack unit and floorboard are miles apart in everything, and I'm not even sure if Axe-FX 2 lite covers it for the AX-8. They're really 2 separate things in my opinion.

Downgrading from the Axe FX to the AX-8? Not in a million years! It's like ColemanEuclid said, if I had gone straight to the AX-8 I'd be in heaven. Coming from the Axe-FX 2 it's like a giant step backwards.

In a way its weird though. When Line 6 comes with a new unit there is no difference between the floorboard version and the rack unit in capability, although the rack units tend to have some extra ways to hook stuff up in the back. With Fractal the rack unit and floorboard are miles apart in everything, and I'm not even sure if Axe-FX 2 lite covers it for the AX-8. They're really 2 separate things in my opinion.
I never understood why Line6 would make a rack mount and the floor unit virtually the same. I looked over both units and the rack seems to add
Guitar through (buffered), AES/EBU in, and a word clock input. Doesn't seem like it would be worth the extra $300 for the target audience of Line6 customers.

I never understood why Line6 would make a rack mount and the floor unit virtually the same. I looked over both units and the rack seems to add
Guitar through (buffered), AES/EBU in, and a word clock input. Doesn't seem like it would be worth the extra $300 for the target audience of Line6 customers.

I reckon they think there's a valid market for guys who use racks, or studios, for whom a floorboard is not that practical in their rig? And it would appear that that market exists, otherwise they would not be making them. After all, the rackmount versions of their delay/filter/modulation modelers were discontinued pretty quick when sales were unsatisfactory.

Back
Top Bottom