Repairing a Broken Headstock

Ok now you're exaggerating...;).

Nuh-uh! ...then ...it took me ten months to figure out that the pointy-bit of the string went through the little-hole in the windey-thing!!! :D

..Used nanowebs on my acoustics for about a year. Not used them on an solidbody as yet; been a Slinky fan since the 80’s but just moved to the D’Addario XL 10’s.. they seem to have a nicer, more woody tone to them, (by my less than perfect ears).

Repaired a break in a headstock a while back, glued the break, taped and clamped it, then stripped the headstock down to wood, sanded it nice flat and flush, sealed, primed/painted - reapplied decals, topcoated all 2k ..Beautiful! ...then it immediately broke again as I was reinstalling the tuners - all that work, all for naught! :( ...It didn’t break on the original fault but a hair’s breadth away from it. A stress fracture next to the original break did me in on that one.. ahhh..yer gonna run into that kinda thing on occasion! :rolleyes:

Love rebuilding guitars. Maybe one day I’ll slide into knocking-out custom guitars for a living ..retirement maybe. It’s on my “to-do” list.. :)

Yeah, I don’t know what Floyd was thinking with those Speedloader trems.. At the time I couldn’t imagine he would have had too much of a following just based on the lack of choice in strings - as fickle a bunch us guitar playing fruitcakes can be about such things.

Owned a bunch of Jacksons over the years, have four of’em right now, but never a Rhoads. Always wanted one though. Randy was always an inspiration for me. ..maybe one day I’ll pick one up. Without a single doubt, they are a sexy lookin’ machine. :D

That's the name! Speedloader! Thank you for that ;).

..Used nanowebs on my acoustics for about a year. Not used them on an solidbody as yet; been a Slinky fan since the 80’s but just moved to the D’Addario XL 10’s.. they seem to have a nicer, more woody tone to them, (by my less than perfect ears).

Hmm, I didn't like the Elixir's for acoustic's, they seemed dull and lifeless, but for electrics it the exact opposite. They're bright and lively, and the wound strings aren't sticky like regular strings get sometimes, AND, I kid you not, last 5 times as long. I bought six sets about 2 months ago, shoulda got the 12 pack cuz I've bought 6 guitars in that time too! At least with that many guitars (now 9) the strings last longer as the love is spread thinner.

Repaired a break in a headstock a while back, glued the break, taped and clamped it, then stripped the headstock down to wood, sanded it nice flat and flush, sealed, primed/painted - reapplied decals, topcoated all 2k ..Beautiful! ...then it immediately broke again as I was reinstalling the tuners - all that work, all for naught! :( ...It didn’t break on the original fault but a hair’s breadth away from it. A stress fracture next to the original break did me in on that one.. ahhh..yer gonna run into that kinda thing on occasion! :rolleyes:

Aww man! that hurts. :( I had just refinished a Destroyer body (Def Leppard had just released Pyromania and the Photograph video) I made in high school and had it curing in my parents basement when i got into a bad arguement with my mom over something. I wound up picking the guitar up off the floor and throwing it back down on the floor and it landed flat on its back (a concrete basement floor with carpet but no padding). It broke into 5 pieces, I was still mad at the time but in a couple of hours I was heartbroken, imo, unreparable. I'd probably still have that guitar.

Love rebuilding guitars. Maybe one day I’ll slide into knocking-out custom guitars for a living ..retirement maybe. It’s on my “to-do” list.. :)

Ah you must still be young, I built about 6 of them in the late 90's then had a kid in 2001 and 2005. I also changed jobs in '01 and didn't work in a custom woodworking shop anymore. I still had a shitload of tools but no room really and no spray booth or buffers. Actually I had to sand and buff them all by hand, it would have been really nice to have had a pair of buffing wheels, oh and a nice fret press. ;)

Owned a bunch of Jacksons over the years, have four of’em right now, but never a Rhoads. Always wanted one though. Randy was always an inspiration for me. ..maybe one day I’ll pick one up. Without a single doubt, they are a sexy lookin’ machine. :D

I'm more of a King V guy but I've owned about a dozen Rhoads over the years. Before Fender bought Jackson and gave Dave Mustaine his proverbial pink slip King V's used to have what I call "skinny tall frets." They were the same height as jumbo frets but half as wide. They play really nice and they call it a speed neck. problem is they wear out twice as fast. The Rhoads always seem to offer more options and were easier to find although I did have my share of USA King V's with Dan Lawrence custom artwork like the Pile of Skulls, Blue Ghost Flames, Lightning Sky, etc. I always wanted a Graveyard Scene KV2 but could never find one, except just now as I did a Bing search, oh ho baby is it sweet. I thinks peeps are holding onto them more as they keep going up in value. I just bought a 2013 Green Sparkle Custom Shop King V last month and omg is she a beauty, I just posted her on Facebook and already received about 40 likes :D <<She's almost the same color as this guy. I've been having computer issues lately but I think I can copy and paste a link to her, lets see;

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ngd-means-new-guitar-day.140831/

I was trying to choose between the Concorde in my avatar and this one, fortunately this one won. IDK if I would have played the Concorde much as it too has those skinny tall frets and is even more of a collectors item, plus if I were to buy one my chance came and gone when Guitar Center had one for $1700 about 15 years ago, but it was already on layaway. :( Man did it sound nice, and I was playing it through a Marshall MG series so that's gotta tell you something. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, I bought a whole bunch of Elixirs for my Ovations, I still have a pack or two kicking around somewhere. As much as I wanted to like them, they sounded flubby to me. Like you say, not as bright. I went back to my Earthwood phosphor bronze thingies... You having said that, I just might pickup a pack of elixirs for a solidbody one if these days, give them a try.

Went through about three years of playing nothing but acoustics, finger picking for the most part. Was actually going to get rid of all my electrics - thought, “I’ll plug one in and see if I can live without them...” ...boy did I enjoy playing a solidbody after all that time.. So ...Kept ‘em! :)

I too made my first electric in high school! ...Was my own design, ..though got stolen with a bunch of others way back when :(.

...Been working with wood to one degree or another most all my life. My Grandad had me banging nails into pieces of wood as far back as I can remember. Professionally, as a pattern maker in the 80’s. We basically made things like Rolls Royce prototype engines and such out of wood so they could be turned into molds for casting. This is all done by CNC routers these days; so when I was put out of work by modern-day Technology I was snapped up by the cabinet shop who took over the building. Doing something different these days, but have a plan to kit out for making custom guitars - it’s really all I ever wanted to do since I was a kid.

Swiftly tobogganing towards the big 5-0 as I am, I need to get better organized methinks!

A profitable hobby for retirement I’m figuring. ;)

If you refret your own instruments, I just started using the Jascar Gold Evo fretwire. I kinda like that wire. It has a less tactile feel than the regular nickel fretwire - it’s slicker to play on, but it’s nowhere near as slick feeling as stainless steel. Stainless frets, to me, feel like I’m playing on ice.. ugh ..not my thing ...that wire being a real moo-cow to work with too!

The Jascar Evo is very easy to work with. More brittle than nickel fretwire but seems easier to level, crown, dress etc., than nickel-silver frets. Done my last three rebuilds with that wire, going to stick with it for a while.

OoOoOOooo...Likin’ your Green Sparkley KingV! ..though the Concorde.. *cue angelic chorus* ..that’s the Rhoads I want.. :cool: ...sorry ...”would like” ....ahh ..Maybe one day. ..All in time. ;) :D

Never tried Jasco Gold Evo Jem Gravity Storm whatever fretwire, it's not gold is it? ;) I used the Dunlop Jumbo wire, I forget the number, 6 something, I think it was .055 x .110. It was easy to work with. So the Jasco being more brittle, does it wear longer? I had a Dave Murray style Lake Placid Blue Fender Strat (geez that's a mouthfull) that had a Warmoth neck with stainless steel frets on a maple board that I really liked, but I know what you mean about playing on ice, they feel very hard under the fingers. A real moo-cow to work with? Where are you from with such dirty language? ;) Yeah those old '92 Concorde's definitely have their appeal, it (the one in my avatar) was $3500, not bad by today's prices but to think I could've had one for $1700 a little more than 10 years ago... facepalm!

So the Jasco being more brittle, does it wear longer?
The brand name is Jescar. They sell three types of fret wire: nickel alloy, stainless steel, and EVO. EVO has a hardness somewhere between nickel alloy and stainless steel, and it does last longer than nickel alloy.

The brand name is Jescar. They sell three types of fret wire: nickel alloy, stainless steel, and EVO. EVO has a hardness somewhere between nickel alloy and stainless steel, and it does last longer than nickel alloy.

JESCAR! That's the stuff!! ..Thanks, Rex! :D

... I know what you mean about playing on ice, they feel very hard under the fingers.

I would never do well on a scalloped board. I'm brutal with my bends. With nickel-silver I get a little drag - a nice tactile feel when I'm goofing around on guitar. With stainless steel, there's no give whatsoever to 'em. Just doesn't feel right to me. ...but, stainless steel wears like diamonds ..so ..if that's on a person's wish-list, that's what they get.

The Gold Evo, like Rex said, right in the middle of the two. Still has a little give, slicker than nickel, softer than steel. I really quite like the stuff.. It is Gold tho!! ...well more a polished copper.

2C587E68-4F16-47B1-A28B-464C3608065B_zpss3o6ebo9.jpg

If a person has a lighter touch, I can imagine that what the things are made from aren't that big a deal - over longevity perhaps. Doesn't take me long to put valleys in nickel-silver though.

It really is easy to work with - surprisingly easy for as well as it wears.

...A real moo-cow to work with? Where are you from with such dirty language?!

...Were raised on a farm... :D

I've also fixed complete breaks at the nut of Les Pauls where there's not a lot of wood there, but the glue still holds, until the guy you fixed it for doesn't use a guitar stand

and instead just leans it against his amp and when it falls, and believe me it does, again, and again, it's gonna break again no matter how you fix it. :eek: Some guys just never learn. o_O:oops:

You'd think that at some point people would learn the lesson. A decent guitar stand, even a small portable one, costs way, way less then having to fix a broken headstock. And putting guitars up against amps, or laying them down flat on the stage, those are recipes for disasters.

You'd think that at some point people would learn the lesson. A decent guitar stand, even a small portable one, costs way, way less then having to fix a broken headstock. And putting guitars up against amps, or laying them down flat on the stage, those are recipes for disasters.
Yep. Years ago I tried an A frame folding stand and since then don't trust the typical tripod stands at all. I take a couple of A frames, or a rack/wall multi-guitar stand wherever I play regardless of what the venue provides.

Yep. Years ago I tried an A frame folding stand and since then don't trust the typical tripod stands at all. I take a couple of A frames, or a rack/wall multi-guitar stand wherever I play regardless of what the venue provides.
Be careful with those folding A-frame stands. They have very little sideways stability (45 degrees to the back of the guitar). Most tripod stands are better that way.

I would never do well on a scalloped board. I'm brutal with my bends. With nickel-silver I get a little drag - a nice tactile feel when I'm goofing around on guitar. With stainless steel, there's no give whatsoever to 'em. Just doesn't feel right to me. ...but, stainless steel wears like diamonds ..so ..if that's on a person's wish-list, that's what they get.

The Gold Evo, like Rex said, right in the middle of the two. Still has a little give, slicker than nickel, softer than steel. I really quite like the stuff.. It is Gold tho!! ...well more a polished copper.

I used to have an off white (ivory?) Aria Pro II that had a scalloped neck, I loved the thing even though the fretboard looked like the scallops were cut out with a carving knife. I suppose it did take some time to get used to, not long though. I wish I still had that guitar, I just can't remember what ever happened to it. I got it from a friend for next to nothing, like 10 or 15 bucks, not bad for a MIJ guitar.

Those gold frets look awesome. They'd look great on my green sparkly guitar! Or any guitar with gold hardware. That was my idea with the stainless frets, even though I've never ever had to replace a fret because I wore it out. Not even on my 1998 Grover Jackson that I cherish.

Be careful with those folding A-frame stands. They have very little sideways stability (45 degrees to the back of the guitar). Most tripod stands are better that way.
Not wanting to be argumentative but I tested the A frame to a 'decent' tripod stand, pushing a guitar from the headstock, middle of the neck and body from every angle and I am 100% more confident in the A frame over the tripod. Having the top of the stand low to the ground and the width of the supports significantly lowers the center of gravity in every direction.

There's always a scenario that will make any stand fail but in my experience, nothing short of falling into the guitar or looping something over the headstock and pulling the guitar is going to knock it off the A frame. Here's a couple photos of the stand I'm referencing for clarification, there are a few incarnations I've seen that would appear to be less stable.

yOE4g5g.jpg

HD27uKd.jpg

Not wanting to be argumentative but I tested the A frame to a 'decent' tripod stand, pushing a guitar from the headstock, middle of the neck and body from every angle and I am 100% more confident in the A frame over the tripod. Having the top of the stand low to the ground and the width of the supports significantly lowers the center of gravity in every direction.

There's always a scenario that will make any stand fail but in my experience, nothing short of falling into the guitar or looping something over the headstock and pulling the guitar is going to knock it off the A frame. Here's a couple photos of the stand I'm referencing for clarification, there are a few incarnations I've seen that would appear to be less stable.

yOE4g5g.jpg

HD27uKd.jpg

Ahh you just wanted to pimp out your geetar bruh... ;) I agree for the most part, I have one very similar to yours I keep my KH 602 Purple Sparkly on and it's pretty stable. What I don't like is the way they lean back so far, I know it's to put the weight towards the soft "backstop" so the guitar doesn't fall forward but it also creates a bigger footprint, which at times where space is at a premium on a stage might be a problem. One of my favs is the triple stand with the spring loaded yoke stops that keep the guitar from falling out of the horseshoe shaped neckrest. I giged with one for 7 years and never had it it fall over. It is good to have at least 2 guitars on it though otherwise it gets out of balance. I drilled an extra hole in the metal post about 3 or 4 inches higher (for the lower horseshoe) so I could put one of my offset Rhoads on there, it worked out quite well. The adjustable Fender stand works well too for oddly shaped guitars.

yOE4g5g.jpg

HD27uKd.jpg

Okay, those are pretty stable. When you said "A frame folding stand," I thought you meant one of these, which are tippy as hell:

Gigstand-Electric_6da4de9c-f643-4090-abbc-9af0f0458e38_large-f0d18fb15d5ead81fa9d7cd82320c3b6.jpg

Interestingly, the same company makes a five-legged folding stand that is more stable than anything I've tried. Seriously, it puts every other stand to shame in terms of stability and solid construction:

starfish-guitar-stand-by-rks4.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, those are pretty stable. When you said "A frame folding stand," I thought you meant one of these, which are tippy as hell:
I wondered if that's what you were thinking of which is why I thought it'd be a good idea to show pics.

Damn @Rex, you always have something interesting to post, what do those run? $$ Too bad I just bought two Ultimate stands (GS100 & GS200) and a Fender hanging stand for one of my RR's. The Fender is nice, it's legs have no "play" in them like the Ultimates do. The Fender Universal is really nice tho, very stable and can be customized to work with just about any guitar shape, including the Rhoads, :D. However it does lean back quite a bit and take up more floor space. I'd post a couple pics but the wifi isnt working on my phone at the moment. :(
BTW, how'd we get to talking about guitar stands? I guess it's ok to post whatever ya want on my threads but if I do it to someone elses I get scolded. Whatever. Don't worry guys {Rex & @Sonofiam } you can post whatever you like on my threads. ;)

Oh yeah, just took a look back, I mentioned it about the guy that didn't use one... :D:p Nevermind.

That looks like a nice stand Rex, nicer than any other hanging stand I've seen.

Edit: Although, I'd prefer a fixed "gooseneck horseshoe" rather than one with a hinge. Often when I grab a guitar off of an Ultimate hanging stand the yoke sticks to the guitar and flips up and sometimes takes the stand with it. Whereas the Fender is a bent pipe, stronger and safer design me thinks, maybe the one you posted doesn't do that. The Ultimate uses a V :)D) shaped yoke (I guess so it fits any size neck width) that kinda grabs the neck and sticks sometimes. Prolly dependent on the humidity.

Last edited:
@Rex may have even better toys than @gigawatt and that's saying something!

Ohhh, what, who me? Well, I do have more guitars than stands, and I have a rare MP-1 Classic, and an ART power conditioner, (I like it better than the Furman's and it's cheaper ;)), soooo, I'm sure Rex does have even better toys, but b4 my 1st divorce, I was loaded with toys, and kept most of them except my two dual 18" Kilomax subs. Prolly shoulda toughed it out with her, had a lot going for me then, but it wasn't meant to be, and I despise her more than anyone now.

Awe, can't end a message like that. I know something that'll amuse you...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
That'll b the 1st and last time you'll see me with a beard. A lady friend of mine says I look 60, I am not. But then this other cute chick says she likes it! I guess I'll never understand women. Remind me to get somebody shorter to take my picture next time. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Damn @Rex, you always have something interesting to post, what do those run? $$
They run about $50 for the regular “passive” yoke, and $70 for the “active” yoke that slides a gate in front of the yoke to keep the guitar retained. I have both, and IMO, the active yoke is cool but adds no additional protection. The yoke holds the guitar very well, and if you’re in a position where the headstock would slide off of the yoke, the gate will open itself anyway. Another down side of the active yoke: you have to raise the guitar an inch or two for the gate to release. If you’re used to just snatching the guitar off the stand in the heat of battle, you might just find the stand following you across the stage. :eek: But the passive style does a wonderful job of retaining the guitar, and it releases when you want it to.

Back
Top Bottom